Good Jobs for Teens?

natey_g
Go to solution Solved by NewtonsFourthLaw,

Work at a movie theater. I hear it's gr8.

I am 16, a few weeks away from getting my drivers license, so obviously I would like to find a job. Where are the best places to work at(that isnt a fast food joint)/ where did you work at?

41 minutes ago, natey_g said:

I am 16, a few weeks away from getting my drivers license, so obviously I would like to find a job. Where are the best places to work at(that isnt a fast food joint)/ where did you work at?

I strongly believe that everyone should work Fast Food at least once in their life - it'll give you a new perspective on "shitty low wage jobs" that people think are a joke.

But ideally, something like Best Buy or a computer/electronics store would be cool. Retail in general is most likely going to be your "go-to" job.

32 minutes ago, NewtonsFourthLaw said:

Work at a movie theater. I hear it's gr8.

Depends on the theatre really. Some are really shitty jobs, whereas others are really good jobs, good perks (free movies, etc).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Butcher

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

You should train to be an assassin it pays really well and the only requirement is not getting caught /s

I worked at a department store as my first job doing stocking cashiering and customer service, it's fine if you have a nice manager but sucks if you have a bad one especially if he's a replacement manager

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

if you are into tech then something in the tech industry would be a good option. Normally teens would just work at food service jobs at that age. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, natey_g said:

Pizza delivery is easy money, if they will hire you.

But honestly, you should get into a trade, be a sparky electrician.

3 hours ago, natey_g said:

Retail is always hiring, so big stores. During the summer there are always summer camps that need students etc. Try checking your school if you can't seem to find any jobs because at mine they use to do postings. 

Taco Bell was my first job, but at the time it was complete hell, although looking back I had a lot of stories and made a lot of great friends there.

My second job was working at Dominos and to date it's been my favorite job I've ever had. I can't wait to retire so I can go back and work there. The pay wasn't bad either when I was old enough to deliver pizzas but I enjoyed working inside and making the food and dealing with customers the most.

My third job was working at Target overnight stocking shelves which was great and got me used to working the night shift which ended up being extremely valuable for me today. I ended up going back to Dominos and ended up getting an internship at the company I work for now because one of the drivers worked in HR and the person in charge of the internship program was the mother of one of my past managers. In corporate America it's all about who you know. :D

-KuJoe

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I strongly believe that everyone should work Fast Food at least once in their life - it'll give you a new perspective on "shitty low wage jobs" that people think are a joke.

But ideally, something like Best Buy or a computer/electronics store would be cool. Retail in general is most likely going to be your "go-to" job.

Depends on the theatre really. Some are really shitty jobs, whereas others are really good jobs, good perks (free movies, etc).

Retail is just as bad as working fast food nowadays, with all of the entitled people being in more places than just food joints. At least where I live.

I will never work retail again.

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

Retail is just as bad as working fast food nowadays, with all of the entitled people being in more places than just food joints. At least where I live.

I will never work retail again.

Lots of times it depends on where you work. I don't think every store is the same. 

1 minute ago, GBELILREESE said:

Lots of times it depends on where you work. I don't think every store is the same. 

I'm not willing to test that anymore. :D

Just now, Kloaked said:

I'm not willing to test that anymore. :D

Must have been bad

1 minute ago, GBELILREESE said:

Must have been bad

Shit pay, lazy co-workers, rude customers 70% of the time. Yup.

Now I get to sit my ass behind a computer all day so I can come home and sit my ass behind a computer all night. #blessed

Just now, Kloaked said:

Shit pay, lazy co-workers, rude customers 70% of the time. Yup.

Now I get to sit my ass behind a computer all day so I can come home and sit my ass behind a computer all night. #blessed

Noice 

8 hours ago, natey_g said:

where did you work at?

1. 11 to 15: Car valet - Cash in had (obv) + I got to drive cars around the yard. Full time school holidays else part time otherwise.
  2. 15 to 17: Van Lackey - Lifting white & brown goods up and down stairs all day (and sometimes evening) and then installing them; often in filthy council houses/flats (shit holes), crawling through filthy cupboards.
  3. 17 to 18: Van Driver - Same as above but driving the van, what a promotion...
  4. 18 to 20: Technician - Inside job inspecting/repairing the same goods for the same company.
  5. > 21: I woke up and questioned what I was doing with my life...
  6. 21 to 24: Care Assistant: Although I knew where I needed to go I'd still have to wipe arses and get covered in bodily fluids under the constant threat of violence for a few years to get there. If only there had been some fast food job about in my area at the time...

I think the following apply rather well: 'Be careful what you wish for' and 'beggars cannot be choosers'.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

9 hours ago, KuJoe said:

Taco Bell was my first job, but at the time it was complete hell, although looking back I had a lot of stories and made a lot of great friends there.

My second job was working at Dominos and to date it's been my favorite job I've ever had. I can't wait to retire so I can go back and work there. The pay wasn't bad either when I was old enough to deliver pizzas but I enjoyed working inside and making the food and dealing with customers the most.

My third job was working at Target overnight stocking shelves which was great and got me used to working the night shift which ended up b9eing extremely valuable for me today. I ended up going back to Dominos and ended up getting an internship at the company I work for now because one of the drivers worked in HR and the person in charge of the internship program was the mother of one of my past managers. In corporate America it's all about who you know. :D

Tell us your grossest taco bell experience.

For me....

Firat paid under the table job was correcting homework using an answer key at a learning center.

2nd was mcdonals.  Place is F-in nasty.  I avoided eating mcdonalds for at least 8 years.

3rd was Papa Murphys Pizza.  Place was decebtly clean, and I still went there for a while even after I quit.  The place had like no customers so we'd screw around all day.  It went out of business after a few years.

4th was a technician at a research lab

5th was teaching English in Japan

6th was at Toyota researching Li ion Batteries

7th is where I am now.  A semoconductor company.

9 hours ago, KuJoe said:

In corporate America it's all about who you know. :D

It's all about who you know anywhere. Networking is a skill of paramount importance.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

My first job was at a Wegmans Food Markets. Definitely a good place to work as the company treats their employees well and it's easy to move around to different departments to find what you like (note that some jobs do require you to be 18 years or older). If you live near one of those in Philadelphia, then I'd say give that a shot.

They have a decent scholarship as well. I got it when I worked there, but wasn't able to cash in on it because I left in favor of paid internships.

15 hours ago, natey_g said:

you could look at an apprenticeship (unless your still in high school). I'm on an IT support one.

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

8 hours ago, xentropa said:

Tell us your grossest taco bell experience.

I wish I had some gross ones but at the Taco Bell I worked for we had an unspoken agreement to be sanitary at all times. Like if a customer made us mad we wouldn't spit in their food or anything like that we would just load it up with an extra two or three handfuls of jalapenos or whatever sauce it came with. I guess the grossest thing that happened was that we had a number of drunk people arrested for peeing on our doors after we wouldn't let them in after we closed. I think at least 3 during my shifts, all different people who decided that if they weren't getting Taco Bell then they wanted the place to smell like urine instead.

-KuJoe

Why is a fastfood place such a bad place to work? It's money, isn't it? 

Well, if you want a lsit of possible jobs a teenager can do we would be here all day.

When I was a teenager I worked everywhere from a slaughter house to a DIY store. 

The best job I had, however, was doing night shifts at a 7/11. The money was really good and you had a lot of time to just being alone with your thoughts. 

Its strangely calming to just mop the floor of a totally quiet store at 3am. 

The only bad thing about the job was the one time a guy tried to rob the place. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

When I was sixteen I worked shovelling shit for a farmers market on a Tuesday evening and Saturday all day. I got paid and was giving a nice hot dinner. If you really need money you shouldn't care what job it is put your head down and work its only temporary after all.