Curved 4K TV's

CrzyChinook

Just bought a New 65" Samsung Curved 4k smart TV..got a heck of a deal on it because someone had opened the box to look inside..soo I counldnt pass it up..$3100 tv marked down to $700...all in the timing

but after a lot of reading and research on line. And maybe im not looking at the right areas.. what does the curve actuality do?

I really cant seem to get a straight answer,,

I sit about 10' from it and it looks beautiful ..but I really don't see what the curve is for?

any one have a clue?

PC SPECIFICATIONS: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor  3.70 GHz ; MSI B550G Edge Wi-Fi ATX ; 16gb (2x8gb)  Kingston FURY Beast DDR4-3600 RGB ; MSI GeForce RTX 3060 3x12gb ;  darkFlash Phantom with Custom Phanteks D-RGB 120 (6EA) ; Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition ; 1tb M.2 Kingston , 2tb Seagate Barricuda, 4 TB Seagate ; Corsair Gaming Series GS700W

PERIPHERALS:Razer BlackWidow V3 ;  Razer DeathAdder V2 Pro ;  Razer Leviathan V2 X

TABLET: Ipad 12.9 Pro  PHONE: Iphone 12

The angle between your line of sight and the edges of the screen is closer to 90 degrees.

Since your field of vision curves around you, a curved screen helps reduce bad viewing angles and keeps the edges of the screen facing you.

Image result for curved vs flat screen

Same reason why people with 3 monitor setups angle the side monitors towards them.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

The angle between your line of sight and the edges of the screen is closer to 90 degrees.

Since your field of vision curves around you, a curved screen helps reduce bad viewing angles and keeps the edges of the screen facing you.

Image result for curved vs flat screen

Same reason why people with 3 monitor setups angle the side monitors towards them.

I was literally mid explaining this but thanks for beating me to it! This basically sums it up, it really comes down to personal preferences. You will also notice if looking at a curved screen vs flat that in the middle there will be a slight "pinch" and the sides will seem a littler taller.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

It's a straight-up gimmick. You'd have to be something like 11' from the screen for the angles to line up right.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

wow thanks that is way more info than I was finding. Lot of contradictory information ..biggest reason was the price why I got it.. but that's nice to know!

PC SPECIFICATIONS: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor  3.70 GHz ; MSI B550G Edge Wi-Fi ATX ; 16gb (2x8gb)  Kingston FURY Beast DDR4-3600 RGB ; MSI GeForce RTX 3060 3x12gb ;  darkFlash Phantom with Custom Phanteks D-RGB 120 (6EA) ; Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition ; 1tb M.2 Kingston , 2tb Seagate Barricuda, 4 TB Seagate ; Corsair Gaming Series GS700W

PERIPHERALS:Razer BlackWidow V3 ;  Razer DeathAdder V2 Pro ;  Razer Leviathan V2 X

TABLET: Ipad 12.9 Pro  PHONE: Iphone 12

65" 4K curved lol. That's insane. My brother has a 55" I think though. The angles don't have to "line up" either. Curved TVs are marketed for a cinematic experience and curved monitors are marketed for better viewing angles/less eye fatigue

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

4 minutes ago, Thinkfreely said:

I was literally mid explaining this but thanks for beating me to it! This basically sums it up, it really comes down to personal preferences. You will also notice if looking at a curved screen vs flat that in the middle there will be a slight "pinch" and the sides will seem a littler taller.

That's because the human vision has been trained to look at flat images in 2d space only.

What you actually see when looking at a flat display is the sides getting smaller the farther they are form you.

Image result for rectangle perspective illusion

The horizontal lines look curved even though they are straight.

If you have a object that curves around you horizontally, and is the same distance at every point, that should look like the same height at the center as at the sides.

Curved displays are a step towards correcting this flat screen bias.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

It's a straight-up gimmick. You'd have to be something like 11' from the screen for the angles to line up right.

The point is not to have exact 90 degree angles.

The point is to have slightly smaller angles than a regular flat display.

Obviously to have 90 degrees at such a small distance the screen curvature would need to be much larger, which isn't really possible at the moment.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020