Help Convinnce My Dad To Upgrade To Something Not Windows XP

iamdarkyoshi
3 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

My dad is still using a windows xp laptop. Its a toshiba with a core duo cpu (not core2duo) and 3GB of RAM.

It still has the factory hard drive with the factory windows XP toshiba image.

He claims he doesn't do anything important on it (but he does) and he doesn't have any antivirus, and I don't think he has EVER run windows updates.

The machine is actually very fast and responsive, but it is old

He said he plans to use the poor laptop until it dies completely. The battery is good for about 30 seconds of use, and the dc jack was broken so I soldered the charger's cable directly into the machine.

This thing is always connected to wifi. Is there any security risks to other computers on the network just having the xp machine connected? My dad is tech savy, but he is also stubborn.

Omg. This is a huge security risk. Don't let it run on Wi-Fi.............

Tell him that he's putting everybody else's PCs at risk of malware and viruses.

Get him to AT LEAST upgrade to Windows 7. Then if, possible to Windows 10.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I offered to give him my spare windows 10 laptop with SSD and he said "Sell it, my toshiba worka fine"

Which is why I put it in the forum's classifieds

Throw out his machine and keep the Toshiba laptop.

2 hours ago, Commodus said:

I wonder if there's hardware you could show him that would make him reconsider, like the HP Stream (super-cheap Windows 10) or a Surface.  Basically, something that clearly wouldn't be possible with XP.

I don't think it would work.

3 hours ago, MeepLikesToBuildPc's said:

Okay,

He's really stubborn.

Make him get some universe-destroying virus "by accident?" 

Same.

3 hours ago, done12many2 said:

It's very obviously that he likes where he's currently at.  If he's happy let it go.  

Sometimes people need to be corrected. This is the case here.

He has used windows 10 before, its on our office PC/mediaserver

Then why doesn't he update his laptop or get a new laptop?

3 hours ago, manikyath said:

he has to use it on his main system, and use it exclusively.

the idea is that he's used to how XP works, those two weeks should be long enough for him to lose th XP vibe, and upon trying to get back into his XP vibe, he'll realise on his own how terrible it is.

Nice but I don't know how well this could work out for OP.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Nice but I don't know how well this could work out for OP.

thats true, but if it works, it's a darn amazing method to make people open their faceholes to see how amish they really have become :P

Just now, manikyath said:

thats true, but if it works, it's a darn amazing method to make people open their faceholes to see how amish they really have become :P

Me and my Dad have a different problem. Getting my mom to buy a new phone. She's still on her 4S and she was getting IOS updates up to 9.3.5 .

IDK if she realizes that she won't get updates and how unusable her phone is (I saw it lag when playing casual games :D)

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Me and my Dad have a different problem. Getting my mom to buy a new phone. She's still on her 4S and she was getting IOS updates up to 9.3.5 .

IDK if she realizes that she won't get updates and how unusable her phone is (I saw it lag when playing casual games :D)

my mom thought she'd never need a smartphone, and would actually spend more money on buisiness phones to avoid early smartphones (i was still on my nokia brick back then) and quite the few years later her last buisiness phone thunked out and there was nothing but smartphones anymore "she was forced to try a smartphone"

and she realised how amish she was living, and never wants to go back now :P

actually... my sister recently got my aunt's "old" smartphone after being too stubborn to move away from her full-keyboard nokia brick for years, and now she never wants to go back again.

--

it's actually funny to think about how some people are so captured by what they're used to that they dont realise what they're mising, and they need their nose to be stuffed right into it to realise how great this new stuff is.

12 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Sometimes people need to be corrected. This is the case here.

What do you suggest.  A good spanking?

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Then why doesn't he update his laptop or get a new laptop?

He said he will once the toshiba dies

He spent 750 bucks on it ages ago and he wants to get his money's worth...

59 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

He said he will once the toshiba dies

He spent 750 bucks on it ages ago and he wants to get his money's worth...

Lol. He most definitely has by this point......