Windows 10 or Windows 7 (gaming)

Dezzin

Hello guys... I've heard different opinions regarding if I should stick with windows 7 or go for windows 10. I am not quite sure because alot of people that i aksed one says stay with 7 the other says upgrade. Any help would be nice. I use my PC for gaming.

Direct X 12 honestly isn't that big of a deal right now, so unless you plan on playing AAA titles then don't worry about it.  

Windows 10 is the best option unless you want more customization or you seek something that only Windows 7 has.  Despite what some people might say, Windows 10 is a good operating system, a little open in terms of privacy, but there is a slimmer chance of it crashing than Windows 7 honestly.  Some of the Windows 7 updates recently have introduced a couple bugs.  But that is always a possibility.  

Do you write applications?  Windows 7 is probably your best bet if you do.   If you don't care about programming and just want a solid operating system to play games and do work on.  Windows 10 is a great and solid OS.  

I've put together this blog post, which is a comprehensive, and occasionally still growing, comparison between Windows 7 and 10, concerning both general use and user experience, as well as it specifically relates to gaming:

Personally, I would keep Windows 7, because you lose a lot more with Windows 10 than you gain, including a loss of control, stability, and privacy. While Windows 10 has DX12 support, Windows 7 has Vulkan support, which accomplishes the same thing, to produce better performance in games that support the API.

You'll have to decide for yourself what trade-offs matter to you most.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

4 minutes ago, PCNoobie said:

You want to upgrade to windows 10 to play dx12 games.

I have a Strix 1070 and a PG278Q. The only reason I din't upgrade so far is that I heard that Win10 has some issues with GPU drivers etc... I dont know if that is true.

Why not dual-boot? I have 8.1, 10, and Linux (yes, I know that's three!).

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

8 minutes ago, SecGuy said:

Windows 10 is the best option unless you want more customization or you seek something that only Windows 7 has.  Despite what some people might say, Windows 10 is a good operating system, a little open in terms of privacy, but there is a slimmer chance of it crashing than Windows 7 honestly.

Not at all. Windows 10 is notoriously unstable, whereas Windows 7 is renownedly stable. I've had many BSODs in Windows 10, and many start-menu crashes, access errors, and a litany of other issues with Windows 10, and so have many people. But, Windows 7 has been solid for me, and most other people, since its original launch.

Some of the Windows 7 updates recently have introduced a couple bugs.  But that is always a possibility.  

Even though some of Microsoft recent patches have introduced bugs to Windows 7, the same patches were also applied to Windows 10 and introduced the same bugs there. And, there have also been further created dozens of times more bugs for Windows 10 from new MS patches, within the same time-span:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/08/kindle-crashes-and-broken-powershell-something-isnt-right-with-windows-10-testing/

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3107306/microsoft-windows/microsoft-admits-to-distributing-windows-printing-bugs-in-kb-3177725-and-kb-3176493.html

https://redmondmag.com/articles/2016/06/16/june-patch-breaks-group-policy-settings.aspx

http://windowsreport.com/partition-disappears-windows-10-anniversary-update/

http://superuser.com/questions/1022063/windows-10-default-programs-keep-changing

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/16-windows-10-anniversary-update-issues-fix/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/08/15/microsoft-warns-windows-10-anniversary-update-crashes-problems/

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/717115/Windows-10-Anniversary-Update-Install-Problems-Fail

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/76719/microsoft-broken-millions-webcams-windows-10-anniversary-update

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

Why not dual-boot? I have 8.1, 10, and Linux (yes, I know that's three!).

No need for all that... i am just a gamer... 

2 minutes ago, Dezzin said:

No need for all that... i am just a gamer... 

If just a gamer.  Go for Windows 10.  DX12 might be fairly uncommon, but it is a newer thing used for video games and stuff.  Also it does have that new Xbox store for Win10... which also has games.  Personally I had no issues with either OS in terms of stability.  

5 hours ago, Monte_Carlo said:

If just a gamer.  Go for Windows 10.  DX12 might be fairly uncommon, but it is a newer thing used for video games and stuff.  Also it does have that new Xbox store for Win10... which also has games.  Personally I had no issues with either OS in terms of stability.  

DX12 does potentially have some uses... though I have yet to see a DX12 game that actually increases FPS for Nvidia GPUs. I have  a GTX 1070, like the OP, and usually using DX 12 decreases FPS.

Also, while the technology of DX12 has potential use (just, seemingly not for Nvidia GPUs, so far), Vulkan is the same technology, and is available for all previous versions of Windows. I think it's likely that Vulkan will be the industry standard, because, as Valve puts it: http://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/09/valve-with-the-rise-of-vulkan-why-bother-with-directx-12/

Check out my signature for a list of some of the developers who are already supporting Vulkan (some of them are also supporting DX12).

Also, who is going to use the Windows Store for games? Obviously, some people will, but if somebody buys a game that uses the UWP platform, they're basically paying to rent a game for a duration, with their access to the game eventually expiring, because it is a closed platform, and there may well not be any ways to get an old UWP game to work in 3 - 10+ years, using community fixes and work-arounds. I see the only people using UWP games are those who don't understand that the platform is purposefully a limitation for users, for the sake of developers being able to lock-out any modification of their games. And, also, people who really want to play a Microsoft-published game, without waiting for it to eventually be released on non-UWP platforms (and there aren't many of those):

As a gamer, I see Windows 10 as being worse for gaming, because, for many people, it's not very stable, it can automatically start doing uploading and downloading stuff while you're playing an online game, Microsoft claims to be able to uninstall cracked software from people's PC that it detects (not all cracked software is pirated), because Windows 10 has less compatibility with older games than Windows 7, and because there is much less community resources for work-arounds for Windows 10 than there is for Windows 7.

Also, Windows 7 continues to be, by far, the dominant Windows OS, based on number of users, and so, there's going to continue to be a greater availability of community effort and solutions for getting games working right on Windows 7.

My personal experience is that properly configured Windows 10 is at least equal to Windows 7 for gaming, and possibly a little better. I've had Windows 10 for over a year now and I haven't had any problems I couldn't solve easily.

That said, some have had bigger problems than I have and I don't claim to know why. If you're worried about it and already have Windows 7, just skip 10 for now. There is no compelling reason why you need Windows 10. Someday, DirectX 12 might become that reason, but most DX12 games so far have offered very little over DX11.

Win10 with (shutupten) is super fast. But for Gaming i see no benefits atm. DX12 isnt a thing yet.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Windows 10 has less overhead, so you'll see a marginal improvement in games. One being BF4 off the top of my head.

If you can install it and have no issues with compatibility, definitely go with 10.

Spoiler

This sounds counter intuitive but install Windows 7 and don't patch, at all. Yes I know most will say there's security risks involved so I'd keep my sensitive information (if I had any) on a separate, Linux based NAS somewhere but when it comes to gaming the most important thing for me is to take advantage of whatever free time I get so I don't want to be dealing with failed OS updates and patches: I'm just not gonna give up my free time to be Microsoft' fucking guinea pig.

Windows 7 works, there's still isn't a single title I want to play that doesn't works on Windows 7. Microsoft can shove their shitty xbone titles like recore for all I care about them.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Windows 10

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

Windows 10

runs smoother

better optimized

Old games still work on it if youre concerned

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

On 10/8/2016 at 10:02 AM, Dezzin said:

Hello guys... I've heard different opinions regarding if I should stick with windows 7 or go for windows 10. I am not quite sure because alot of people that i aksed one says stay with 7 the other says upgrade. Any help would be nice. I use my PC for gaming.

Windows 7. You will only need 10 when you need DX12. You will only need DX12 when any game you want to play does notoriously better by using DX12 (or can't run without DX12).

By the time that happens, there is a fair chance they finally have a somewhat finished, working version of Windows 10, which will make it a much better time to upgrade.

As a general rule, early adoption is better when you want novelty, late adoption is better when you want stability.

Windows 10. Ignore the tin foil hatters

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit