Which Noctua Fans Should I Get?

virtualgravity
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,
1 hour ago, virtualgravity said:

I've heard many good review about them but silent wings cost almost the same with noctua ipcc (340k Rupiah = 26 ish USD) which got me thinking. 

You shouldn't be looking at iPPC's in the first place. 

SW3's are an excellent alternative to NF-A14's. 

Hey guys!

I'm planning to move my current system to a new case which is the Corsair Carbide 400C http://www.corsair.com/en/carbide-series-clear-400c-compact-mid-tower-case

They included 3 fans AFAIK in that case but I would like to change the front intake fans to Noctua fans.

The case can hold 2x 140mm fans or 3x 120mm fans for the front intake. However the front intake is quite restrictive with the dust filter and also the model of the front panel which let air in only from the sides.

Now here is the question, which one should I pick between these fans and should I go with 120mm or 140mm for the front intake? 

is the IndustrialPPC fans worth the extra price?

and also I heard that the IndustrialPPC is louder than the normal one, is it true?

(I'm leaning more to 140mm because it move more air in slower speed and also more quiet AFAIK)

for the 140mm fans:

- Noctua NF A14 IndustrialPPC 2000 RPM PWM http://noctua.at/en/nf-a14-industrialppc-2000-pwm (here in Indonesia this one is more expensive than the 3000 rpm one)

- Noctua NF A14 IndustrialPPC 3000 RPM PWM http://noctua.at/en/nf-a14-industrialppc-3000-pwm

- Noctua NF A14 PWM http://noctua.at/en/nf-a14-pwm

for the 120mm fans:

- Noctua NF F12 PWM http://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-f12-pwm/specification

- Noctua NF P12 PWM http://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-p12-pwm/specification

- Noctua NF S12A PWM http://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-s12a-pwm/specification

- Noctua NF F12 Industrial PPC 2000 RPM http://noctua.at/en/products/product-line-industrial/nf-f12-industrialppc-2000-pwm

Thanks guys !

[CPU] Intel i7 8700K [Motherboard] Asus ROG Maximus X Hero Z370 [RAM] Corsair Dominator Platinum 3000 Mhz [GPU] Asus Strix 1080 Ti OC [Case] Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass [Storage] 250GB Samsung 960 Evo M.2 + 250GB Samsung 850 Evo + 1TB WDC Blue [PSU] Seasonic Prime 650W [Display] Aorus KD25F + Acer Predator XB271HU [Keyboard] Corsair K65 Rapidfire Cherry MX Speed [Mouse] Endgame Gear XM1 + Logitech G303 [Sound] Sennheiser Game One [OS] Windows 10 64 bit

iPPC's are not worth getting unless you need the extra performance and robustness. The normal noctuas are quieter. 

You should go with NF-A14's. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

8 minutes ago, virtualgravity said:

They included 3 fans AFAIK in that case but I would like to change the front intake fans to Noctua fans.

It wont' make a difference for cooling, but do waht you want.

Of those fans it depends on the noise, but either the nff12 or the industriual version.

iPPC's have slight clicking noise due to different PWM chip, in my opinion 1500rpm is adequate for case airflow fan.
I would get 2x NF-A14 PWM's.

Some Noctua fans are only said to be louder because they're capable of higher RPM's. If you dial them down via your Motherboard settings or a separate fan controller though they'll be very quiet in the 900-1100RPM range. If I was going to upgrade to Noctua fans I would just get the very best as they're all overpriced anyway. Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-2000 IP67 140mm PWM, then I'd also get the accessory box to change the anti-vibration mount colors. There are other better performance per dollar options though like from Corsair, Phanteks or Fractal Design.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1903 (Build 18362.295) | MasterCase Pro 3

RGB version or don't bother.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

6 minutes ago, Mike Soda said:

Some Noctua fans are only said to be louder because they're capable of higher RPM's. If you dial them down via your Motherboard settings or a separate fan controller though they'll be very quiet in the 900-1100RPM range. If I was going to upgrade to Noctua fans I would just get the very best as they're all overpriced anyway. Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-2000 IP67 140mm PWM, then I'd also get the accessory box to change the anti-vibration mount colors. There are other better performance per dollar options though like from Corsair, Phanteks or Fractal Design.

iPPC's are not the very best. They are louder than the usual noctuas even at the same rpm. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

16 minutes ago, Mike Soda said:

The frame on Noctua IPPC is not optimized for silence like it is on the normal Noctuas, so an IPPC will be louder at the same RPM, although not by a huge margin.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

28 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

iPPC's are not worth getting unless you need the extra performance and robustness. The normal noctuas are quieter. 

You should go with NF-A14's. 

Yeah I honestly don't need the waterproof and dustproof only for the color scheme I guess.

27 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

It wont' make a difference for cooling, but do waht you want.

Of those fans it depends on the noise, but either the nff12 or the industriual version.

Yup the difference will be too little to notice but don't know about the noise

23 minutes ago, maybethisnamewillwork said:

iPPC's have slight clicking noise due to different PWM chip, in my opinion 1500rpm is adequate for case airflow fan.
I would get 2x NF-A14 PWM's.

Should I go with 2x140mm or 3x120mm? And is the clicking noise really noticeable?

19 minutes ago, Mike Soda said:

Thinking about Corsair MagLev fan but there is only a few review for that fan and I honestly think that magnetic thing is just a marketing gimmick

18 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

RGB version or don't bother.

I think adding LED strips would be better :D

12 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

iPPC's are not the very best. They are louder than the usual noctuas even at the same rpm. 

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

The frame on Noctua IPPC is not optimized for silence like it is on the normal Noctuas, so an IPPC will be louder at the same RPM, although not by a huge margin.

Yea now its only between noise and colour. The brown colour will just ruined my whole black and red theme :P

[CPU] Intel i7 8700K [Motherboard] Asus ROG Maximus X Hero Z370 [RAM] Corsair Dominator Platinum 3000 Mhz [GPU] Asus Strix 1080 Ti OC [Case] Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass [Storage] 250GB Samsung 960 Evo M.2 + 250GB Samsung 850 Evo + 1TB WDC Blue [PSU] Seasonic Prime 650W [Display] Aorus KD25F + Acer Predator XB271HU [Keyboard] Corsair K65 Rapidfire Cherry MX Speed [Mouse] Endgame Gear XM1 + Logitech G303 [Sound] Sennheiser Game One [OS] Windows 10 64 bit

Just now, virtualgravity said:

Yea now its only between noise and colour. The brown colour will just ruined my whole black and red theme :P

Maybe try and get the LTT edition NF-F12s

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, virtualgravity said:

Should I go with 2x140mm or 3x120mm? And is the clicking noise really noticeable?

Whether or not you notice the difference will depend on how sensitive your hearing is.

Noctuas aren't the only good fans. If you link us to where you're shopping, we might be able to recommend some good red or black alternatives. 

3 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Maybe try and get the LTT edition NF-F12s

I would like some of those but the shipping cost to my country would be too expensive :(

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Whether or not you notice the difference will depend on how sensitive your hearing is.

Noctuas aren't the only good fans. If you link us to where you're shopping, we might be able to recommend some good red or black alternatives. 

Unfortunately there is no site like Newegg here in Indonesia so I need to check different shops what fans that they have. Do you have any recommendations maybe from some big brands like Corsair/CoolerMaster (easier to get here)

Just now, virtualgravity said:

I would like some of those but the shipping cost to my country would be too expensive :(

Unfortunately there is no site like Newegg here in Indonesia so I need to check different shops what fans that they have. Do you have any recommendations maybe from some big brands like Corsair/CoolerMaster (easier to get here)

Considering these fans will go on the front of a case, just get Corsair AF140 Quiet Editions they will do just fine.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, virtualgravity said:

I can notice it when I put ear next to it, but not when actually using them inside the case.
But ofcourse that's subjective.

2 minutes ago, virtualgravity said:

There are usually hits and misses for each brand when it comes to fans. Noctua is one of the few brands that have solid fans across the board. 

Can you link us to the shops you're looking at?

5 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Considering these fans will go on the front of a case, just get Corsair AF140 Quiet Editions they will do just fine.

Or should I try their new MagLev fans?

3 minutes ago, maybethisnamewillwork said:

I can notice it when I put ear next to it, but not when actually using them inside the case.
But ofcourse that's subjective.

I put my PC on top of my desk and sitting right beside my mouse pad. Do you think that it would be noticeable?

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

There are usually hits and misses for each brand when it comes to fans. Noctua is one of the few brands that have solid fans across the board. 

Can you link us to the shops you're looking at?

Yeah I have tried Corsair fans before the SP and AF ones they are mediocre after using it for a year they start to emmit strange noise.

Sure I would be glad if you wanna help! But the website is not pretty to the eye :P

http://www.enterkomputer.com/cooler.php

http://rakitan.com/kategori.php?id=48

Those are the two shop in my city that have updated website.

38 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

27 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Oh, do the regular Noctua come in black though? The only black ones I could find on Newegg were the IPPC.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1903 (Build 18362.295) | MasterCase Pro 3

4 minutes ago, virtualgravity said:

I put my PC on top of my desk and sitting right beside my mouse pad. Do you think that it would be noticeable?

In that situation maybe, but IMO there's no need to get anything above 1500rpm for case airflow fan.

31 minutes ago, virtualgravity said:

I think adding LED strips would be better :D

But then it won't be a proper fan. Proper fans have rgb. The alternative would be the one where you can see a rgb version of Linus' head when the fan spins. 

:P

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

30 minutes ago, virtualgravity said:

Or should I try their new MagLev fans?

Too expensive. I would only use them on heatsinks. They're great fans, but they're also way overkill to use as case fans.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

36 minutes ago, virtualgravity said:

Sure I would be glad if you wanna help! But the website is not pretty to the eye :P

http://www.enterkomputer.com/cooler.php

http://rakitan.com/kategori.php?id=48

Whether it's noticeable or not depends on your hearing. I personally notice the difference.

Pure Wings 2's or Silent Wings 3's are good alternatives. 

35 minutes ago, Mike Soda said:

Oh, do the regular Noctua come in black though? The only black ones I could find on Newegg were the IPPC.

LTT versions are black. You can also get black noctuas if you make large custom bulk orders. 

23 hours ago, maybethisnamewillwork said:

In that situation maybe, but IMO there's no need to get anything above 1500rpm for case airflow fan.

Yea above 1500 any quiet fans will still produce a noticeable sound

23 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

But then it won't be a proper fan. Proper fans have rgb. The alternative would be the one where you can see a rgb version of Linus' head when the fan spins. 

:P

Yeah 2016=Year of RGB :P

23 hours ago, Energycore said:

Too expensive. I would only use them on heatsinks. They're great fans, but they're also way overkill to use as case fans.

Here in my country MagLev price is almost the same with Noctua :S

23 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Whether it's noticeable or not depends on your hearing. I personally notice the difference.

Pure Wings 2's or Silent Wings 3's are good alternatives. 

LTT versions are black. You can also get black noctuas if you make large custom bulk orders. 

I've heard many good review about them but silent wings cost almost the same with noctua ipcc (340k Rupiah = 26 ish USD) which got me thinking. 

1 hour ago, virtualgravity said:

You shouldn't be looking at iPPC's in the first place. 

SW3's are an excellent alternative to NF-A14's. 

4 hours ago, virtualgravity said:

Here in my country MagLev price is almost the same with Noctua :S

It's your choice between SW3 and ML then

Computer Specs:

Spoiler