Beginning to see a trend with MSI motherboards...

I have 5 computers at my house, big family. 3 of them are MSI motherboards...3 motherboards broke, all not posting. The other 2 Asus and Gigabyte, have yet to break, working perfectly. Is this just a coincidence, or is MSI quality control sh!t?

2 minutes ago, Tyrosen said:

I have 5 computers at my house, big family. 3 of them are MSI motherboards...3 motherboards broke, all not posting. The other 2 Asus and Gigabyte, have yet to break, working perfectly. Is this just a coincidence, or is MSI quality control sh!t?

my gd65 z97 still works well and never had any problems. 2+ years going strong.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

z97s sli krait running strong 1 year 2 months

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

MSI z-170 a good and stronk after 2 months :P

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

16 minutes ago, Tyrosen said:

You must have bad luck. I know of many older Gen 1 & 2 Intel MSI laptops corrupting their BIOS chips so they won't boot anymore, but not their Desktop Boards. I've built 4 systems in the past two years for myself and friends, all with MSI z87, z97, and z170 motherboards, and all are still working just fine.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

2 minutes ago, kirashi said:

You must have bad luck. I know of many older Gen 1 & 2 Intel MSI laptops corrupting their BIOS chips so they won't boot anymore, but not their Desktop Boards. I've built 4 systems in the past two years for myself and friends, all with MSI z87, z97, and z170 motherboards, and all are still working just fine.

Didnt Jayztwocents not have problems with his msi x99 board in skunkworks update, wow msi has shit quality control

3 minutes ago, Napalm360 said:

Didnt Jayztwocents not have problems with his msi x99 board in skunkworks update, wow msi has shit quality control

Actually, I bought the SAME mobo that broke on Jay too, the MSI Godlike Gaming Carbon for one of the builds, still trying for an RMA

1 minute ago, Tyrosen said:

Actually, I bought the SAME mobo that broke on Jay too, the MSI Godlike Gaming Carbon for one of the builds, still trying for an RMA

Wow thats bad luck. Good thing im not going with mai for my skylake rig :/

hope your rma goes smooth. Hate it when things dont work. 

It's subjective.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 minute ago, Napalm360 said:

Wow thats bad luck. Good thing im not going with mai for my skylake rig :/

hope your rma goes smooth. Hate it when things dont work. 

If you dont mind. What asus boards are you using, im trying to find a good board for skylake -_-

Edited by Napalm360

Asus Maximus VIII Formula, its a pretty pricey board though

If you dont mind. Shat asus boards are you using, im trying to find a good board for skylake -_-

had a lot of MSI boards for years and years and I can't complain - but I also have not built any new MSI based PCs for some years now so either you got bad luck or msi has started to get sloppy with their quality control

Just now, Tyrosen said:

Asus Maximus VIII Formula, its a pretty pricey board though

Yea im thinking about that, it was between that or the alpha or deluxe as im on the fence about colour scheming and want to maybe have green or red loop later on.

do you know of any good black z170 mobos,

i was thinking evga but idk 

Just now, Napalm360 said:

Yea im thinking about that, it was between that or the alpha or deluxe as im on the fence about colour scheming and want to maybe have green or red loop later on.

do you know of any good black z170 mobos,

i was thinking evga but idk 

I heard good things about the EVGA FTW Z170. Also, Customer Support for EVGA is AMAZING, I can vouch for it

3 minutes ago, Tyrosen said:

I heard good things about the EVGA FTW Z170. Also, Customer Support for EVGA is AMAZING, I can vouch for it

Brilliant. As long as it can handle a 4.6-8ghz oc then sweet. 

Thanks for help and good luck, jave you considered the rog strix x99 gaming instead of carbon ?

Brilliant. As long as it can handle a 4.6-8ghz oc then sweet. 

Thanks for help and good luck, jave you considered the rog strix x99 gaming instead of carbon ?

8ghz OC...ya right.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

1 minute ago, Praesi said:

8ghz OC...ya right.

100% sure he was referring to the second digit, so to clarify 4.6GHz - 4.8GHz

msi b85i itx  1 year 6 month and working fine,

you  have nice  luck  or someting is wrong in your house...

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 3:14 PM, Tyrosen said:

Some early batches of Godlike Carbon boards had issues, but that's been sorted since. It's also something that happens to every manufacturer, and in my experience, ASUS is a far worse offender,  my local stores won't buy or sell anything with an ASUS mainboard or GFX card either.

I'm on my third MSI board, all three still work just fine. Only reason I upgraded was they are all different sockets, AM3+, FM2+, and 2011-3.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

14 hours ago, Drak3 said:

ASUS is a far worse offender,  my local stores won't buy or sell anything with an ASUS mainboard or GFX card either.

I'm on my third MSI board, all three still work just fine. Only reason I upgraded was they are all different sockets, AM3+, FM2+, and 2011-3.

is it? really? I had the impression that asus was quality stuff - a guy I know who does IT for businesses pretty much deploys nothing else  - have a Q6600 running on a cheapo asus board for years myself wich also took some OC abuse in recent years and it did not fail yet 

most of my MSI boards also been AMD sockets but the older ones like 939 and AM2 - save for one trusty 775 board I used the hell out of

I just ordered a socket 1150 board to run a xeon on - so i will soon get to know how the newer MSI boards do and share any experience here.

Since Msi allways traditionaly cheaps out on quality of vital parts on allmost all of their motherboards.

I doesnt suprise me that much.

40 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

is it? really? I had the impression that asus was quality stuff - a guy I know who does IT for businesses pretty much deploys nothing else  - have a Q6600 running on a cheapo asus board for years myself wich also took some OC abuse in recent years and it did not fail yet 

most of my MSI boards also been AMD sockets but the older ones like 939 and AM2 - save for one trusty 775 board I used the hell out of

I just ordered a socket 1150 board to run a xeon on - so i will soon get to know how the newer MSI boards do and share any experience here.

In my experience, yes, ASUS is the worst at quality insurance. The only thing they make that I'll trust are monitors, and mainly because most components in their monitors aren't actually made by them, but are just rebranded.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

24 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

In my experience, yes, ASUS is the worst at quality insurance. 

can't be worse than ECS elitegroup - those guys sold me some crappy ass mainboards, I tell ya

are they still in business anyhow?

Would rather buy an Asus than be given an MSI.

ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570**AMD Ryzen 5800X**16G Corsair Vengence RGB 3600Mhz **ASUS Strix RX6700XT OC**Corsair H150i RGB Platinum AIO**Samsung 2-2TB 970 EVO Plus m.2**2-860 2 1/2 EVO 1Tb SSD's**Creative Sound Blaster Z**Corsair HX1200i PSU w/Black sleeved corsair Cables**Corsair 5000D Airflow**BenQ XL2730Z 1440p 144Hz 27"**BenQ XL2720Z 27"**Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Keyboard**Roccat Kave 5.1 Gaming headset,Roccat Kone Pure Black Gaming mouse**Windows 10 PRO

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________