The Insomnia thread

Misanthrope

So here's the deal: for the past year or so I have kind of an early raiser sleep pattern going to sleep very early at like 9 or 10 pm and getting up at 5 am or so. This has been ok and I managed to get used to that rhythm. However since last week or so there was a couple of days where I passed out at like 8 pm and woke up at 2 am. It's not terribly bad to get 6 hours of sleep but I've found myself to be extremely tired mid day and evenings at work. Usually I get over it.

This week however it's been terrible: it's now going on 3 days of getting up faster and faster unable to fall asleep again for more than 30 minutes or half an hour before I have to get ready to go to work. Yesterday I woke up at like 2 am again, got no more sleep at all and went to work. I was terribly tired so I drank a large coffee on the morning and then after lunch I was again almost passing out in my desk so I went and bought a second large coffee. So I spend the rest of the day on that awkward state of being extremely jittery and with your heart racing but feeling like you're still out of it.

So I held up until about 8:30pm before I let myself pass out thinking "I have been super tired all day even though I drank coffee after lunch it was at like 3:00pm I should be fine" but nope: woke up at 10:30. 2 fucking hours of sleep is all I could manage to get. I'll try again but I usually fail, I am beginning to think that I need some fucking ambient to force myself back into at least 6 hours of continuous sleep.

What do you guys try for insomnia that's starting to get invasive in day to day life? And no, fap and nap doesn't works for me.

-------

Current Rig

-------

When my horrid sleep pattern becomes a problem I usually reset myself. I'll power through about 32 hours without sleep to get my schedule back on track, and after that my body will slip back into a more normal rhythm. 

My current sleep pattern, if you can call it that, is up at 2pm in the afternoon, and back to sleep at around 10am in the morning. Pretty much the exact opposite of what you're doing. Now, that's partly because I honestly strongly prefer nights over day. Now that the mrs is studying abroad I've actually gone through and just blacked out every room in our place, making it perpetually pitch black inside, no matter the time of day, truly wonderful.

My kind of sleep style is not healthy for the average person though, straight up. But, if there's one thing I know how to deal with, its insomnia. I rarely sleep more than a few hours a night, and have since I was 15. Best thing you can do is power through a full day without sleeping one night and then go to bed at a more normal time the next day. You'll be able to fall asleep straight away, and it should help to reset your internal clock. You might need a bit of coffee though, or what I've found work great is a 5 hour energy when you're starting to feel drowsy.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

My sleeping schedule has gotten pretty bad now that school is back.. My mom says it's like I sleep in "shifts". Normally I go to bed around 2-3am and get up at 7:15am. I get home from school around 3:30pm and end up in bed around 5pm. Then I sleep until about 8 or 9pm and stay up until 2-3am and do the whole thing over again. In the summer I end up going to bed at 5-6am and wake up at 2-3pm,

EDIT: I have tried to fix my schedule in the summer by pulling an all nighter and powering through the next day but it ends up being just as bad in a few days anyways.

MAIN RIG: Dell Precision T5500 -CPU: Intel Xeon W5580 (4c,8t@ 3.2ghz,turbo 3.46) -MOTHERBOARD: Dell Precision T5500 OEM -RAM: 16gb ECC DDR3 FBDIMM (Hynix) -GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770  OC WINDFORCE X3 -Case: Dell Precision T5500 OEM -STORAGE: 240gb ADATA Premier SP550 (OS, Programs), 2x 500GB WD Caviar WD5000AAKS (Games, Files) (RAID 0) -PSU: Dell Precision T5500 OEM (875w) -DISPLAY(S): Primary: Acer AL2016w (1680x1050), Left and Right: Gateway FPD1976W (1440x900), Extra displays around the room: 42" Vizio TV (1920x1080) -COOLING: Dell Precision T5500 OEM -KEYBOARD: Logitech G710+ -MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Core -SOUND: Logitech x320 and Razer Electras -OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 Pro x64

LAPTOP: Dell Precision M6500 -CPU: Intel Core i7 920xm (4c,8t@2.0ghz,turbo 3.2ghz) -RAM: 12gb DDR3 -GPU: ATi Firepro M7820 -STORAGE: 240gb ADATA Premier SP550 (OS, Programs), 500GB Seagate STL500LM000 SSHD (Games, Files) -DISPLAY: 1920x1200 17.3” -OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 Pro x64

SECONDARY RIG: -CPU: 2x Intel Xeon x5450 (4c, 4t ea., 8c, 8t @3ghz total) -MOTHERBOARD: Corvalent BDPEX -RAM: 14GB ECC DDR2 (Mix Match of Brands) -GPU: Nvidia Quadro NVS 285 -CASE: No Case (Everything is mounted on the wall in my closet) -STORAGE: 160GB WD Caviar SE WD1600AAJS (OS, Programs, Files) -PSU: 450w BFG -DISPLAY: Samsung UN22D5000 (1920X1080) -COOLING: Dell Precision T5400 Heatsinks and some random fans -KEYBOARD: Logitech G105 -MOUSE: Logitech M215 Wireless Mouse -OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 Professional x64

NAS: -CPU: Intel Pentium e2180 (2c, 2t@2ghz) -MOTHERBOARD: HP Compaq DC5800 OEM -RAM: 2GB DDR2 (Unsure of Brand) -CASE: No Case (Everything is mounted on the wall in my closet) -STORAGE: 500GB HGST (Backup) -PSU: HP Compaq DC5800 OEM (300w) -DISPLAY: Samsung UN22D5000 (1920X1080) -COOLING: Cooler Master Hyper 101a (Zip Tied) and some random fans -OPERATING SYSTEM: FreeNAS 9.10 (Running From USB Flash Drive)

FOLDING RIG: Dell Precision T5400 -CPU: 2x Intel Xeon X5450 (4c, 4t ea., 8c, 8t @3ghz total) -MOTHERBOARD: Dell Precision T5400 OEM -RAM: 32gb ECC DDR2 (Hynix) -GPU: Nvidia Quadro NVS 290 -CASE: Dell Precision T5400 OEM -STORAGE: 250gb WD 250ABYS (OS, Programs, Files) -PSU: Dell Precision T5400 OEM -DISPLAY: Dell 1707FP (1280x1024) -COOLING: Dell Precision T5400 OEM -OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 Pro x64

PHONE: iPhone 7 32GB Matte Black (Sprint)

I don't have the magic answer, but there have been a few things that I've recently been reading up (and acting) on.

1) Caffeine has a half-life of around 5-6 hours on average. If you drink a 200mg coffee at 3pm, you'll likely have 100mg still in your system at 9pm. Most of the research that I've looked at shows that this typically results in the shortening of the amount of undisturbed sleep an individual is likely to get. The obvious response is "stop drinking caffeine", but one option is to drink your strongest coffee of the day first thing in the morning, and taper it off a little bit towards lunch. If you're aiming to turn in at 10pm, then a sensible cut-off would be about noon or 1pm. This might be easier said than done, but a shift in habits is likely to help over a single fix.

2) Another big one for me is; screens. Phones, tablets, PC, and to a lesser extent, TV. Turn that shit off at least an hour before you want to turn in. The more interactivity we have with social media, forums, and whatever other hyper-important web-pish we do, the more we want to tap out one last message before bed. Get all of it, to fuck. Take a hot bath, read a book, do some stretching, listen to music, do whatever you find relaxing. But decide on a curfew for turning off all screen-based tech and stick to it. This is actually a two fold issue; I read a lengthy article in New Scientist that highlighted how a lot of modern phone/tablet screens have give off predominantly short-wavelength blue light that can interrupt your bodies release of melatonin (sleep-inducing hormone) in much the same way daylight does. If there's anything really essential that you need to do - be it sending an e-mail or getting stuff ready for work - do it as soon as you get home. The latter part of the evening should be off-limits for anything that might bring some stress or anxiety in to play.

3) Exercise, exercise, exercise. If you can't be bothered, do it anyway. The few people that I know that do physical work for a living, also happen to sleep like rocks. The bastards.

TL;DR - If I find the holy grail, I'll let you know.