7th Generation AMD PRO

sof006

So looks like AMD is getting ready to launch AMD Pro. Just uploaded this new video quoting up to 17% more performance vs competitors.

What do you guys think? I think AMD's new Zen architecture (which this is not) will be awesome.

EDIT: Been told its not Zen. Didn't realise AMD was releasing something completely separate to Zen as well. My bad.

EDIT2: Please don't turn my post into a shit storm or i'll request the thread to be locked.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Last time they launched something with "pro" in the name it was a complete failure.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, TheRandomness said:

FirePro?

Pro Duo xD

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Last time they launched something with "pro" in the name it was a complete failure.

I don't think it will be a failure this time. They have already shown their new CPU's to be very efficient and powerful.

System Specs:

i like it , but im a glutton for punishment 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

Just now, sof006 said:

I don't think it will be a failure this time. They have already shown their new CPU's to be very efficient and powerful.

Yeah i know, it's just a joke.

Just now, TheRandomness said:

Not a failure, most just horrifically overpriced c:

Based on the amount of people that actually bought it, i would consider it a failure.

The 295x2 was a success, this wasn't at all.

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

Yeah i know, it's just a joke.

Based on the amount of people that actually bought it, i would consider it a failure.

The 295x2 was a success, this wasn't at all.

Speaking of 295x2... I can find them for £400.. I am so tempted xD

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Launch Zen and your 490x, for God's sake.  This is, has, and will continue to be a painfully slow decline for AMD, if they can't actually release entire line-ups ahead of nVidia, and with equal performance, better pricing.  This shit has taken far, far too long.

15 minutes ago, sof006 said:

So looks like AMD is getting ready to launch "Zen" as the name AMD Pro. Just uploaded this new video quoting up to 17% more performance vs competitors.

What do you guys think? I think AMD's new Zen architecture will be awesome.

that's not "Zen"

it's their 7th gen APUs codename Bristol Ridge: http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/processors/laptop-processors

they are all 28nm parts .. rofl!

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-apu-pro-bristol-ridge,32786.html

26 minutes ago, zMeul said:

that's not "Zen"

it's their 7th gen APUs codename Bristol Ridge: http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/processors/laptop-processors

they are all 28nm parts .. rofl!

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-apu-pro-bristol-ridge,32786.html

I don't know why you're saying "rofl" about the fact that they are 28nm parts - we knew this!

Zen is launching with Mainstream desktop SKU's first - we knew this!

Zen APU's are coming sometime later down the line - we knew this!

So yeah... this should be unsurprising. These are essentially just semi-custom APU's for businesses to employ in more specific scenarios.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

I don't know why you're saying "rofl" about the fact that they are 28nm parts - we knew this!

Zen is launching with Mainstream desktop SKU's first - we knew this!

Zen APU's are coming sometime later down the line - we knew this!

So yeah... this should be unsurprising. These are essentially just semi-custom APU's for businesses to employ in more specific scenarios.

did you even read the OP?! yes .. he said that's Zen - no, it isn't!

don't tell me "we know this!", tell him

apparently he doesn't

Just now, zMeul said:

did you even read the OP?! yes .. he said that's Zen

no, it isn't!

Yeah I'm not doubting that. The OP was wrong in his suspicions.

You were correct, these are Bristol Ridge APU's - my comments are entirely about you "laughing" at the fact that they're still 28nm. Once you realized they weren't Zen, it should have been obvious, of course they're 28nm - Zen APU's won't be here until sometime next year at the earliest.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Yeah I'm not doubting that. The OP was wrong in his suspicions.

You were correct, these are Bristol Ridge APU's - my comments are entirely about you "laughing" at the fact that they're still 28nm. Once you realized they weren't Zen, it should have been obvious, of course they're 28nm - Zen APU's won't be here until sometime next year at the earliest.

APUs don't need to be "Zen" to be on lower production node - die shrink, no?!

isn't that what everyone accused nVidia of doing with Pascal xD

As a head's up for those looking more into what they are comparing this A12-9800E against. They are comparing it to a i5 6500T.

So they are comparing two laptops, from what I can tell. But it's at least nice to know what they are putting it up against.

@sof006 would you mind updating the OP and removing references to Zen? As Zmuel stated, backed up with a source from Toms Hardware, this is a Bristol Ridge APU series. Nothing to do with Zen at all.

@sof006 would you mind updating the OP and removing references to Zen? As Zmuel stated, backed up with a source from Toms Hardware, this is a Bristol Ridge APU series. Nothing to do with Zen at all.

Updated

System Specs:

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

APUs don't need to be "Zen" to be on lower production node - die shrink, no?!

isn't that what everyone accused nVidia of doing with Pascal xD

Why would AMD spend the money on a die shrink? Think about it. You can't just "shrink" the existing chip with zero consideration. You need to adapt and re-engineer aspects of it. It's not like "printing" a poster onto a Letter Sized piece of paper by just shrinking it in the print dialog. If they're going to make the investment of die shrinking it - well, there's just no point, since Zen APU's will do that (and more) for them anyway. Bristol Ridge was always planned to be 28nm.

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Why would AMD spend the money on a die shrink? Think about it. You can't just "shrink" the existing chip with zero consideration. You need to adapt and re-engineer aspects of it. It's not like "printing" a poster onto a Letter Sized piece of paper by just shrinking it in the print dialog. If they're going to make the investment of die shrinking it - well, there's just no point, since Zen APU's will do that (and more) for them anyway. Bristol Ridge was always planned to be 28nm.

for the same reason they invested money in designing and mass producing these APUs

they launched the APUs, where are the motherboards?!?!!?

Just now, zMeul said:

for the same reason they invested money in designing and mass producing these APUs

They put money into these because Zen isn't ready yet, and they probably only have a limited amount of 14nm production available (which is no doubt being taken up by both Zen and Polaris/Vega).

Bristol Ridge was always supposed to be a stop-gap until Zen APU's are ready. I don't think they could afford to die-shrink these, and still hit production numbers for Zen and Polaris.

Zen Desktop chips should be landing any time in the next 2 months, so AMD needs to make sure they can handle that.

Obviously if they had the money and the production space, they probably WOULD have made Bristol Ridge 14nm.

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

They put money into these because Zen isn't ready yet, and they probably only have a limited amount of 14nm production available (which is no doubt being taken up by both Zen and Polaris/Vega).

Bristol Ridge was always supposed to be a stop-gap until Zen APU's are ready. I don't think they could afford to die-shrink these, and still hit production numbers for Zen and Polaris.

Zen Desktop chips should be landing any time in the next 2 months, so AMD needs to make sure they can handle that.

Obviously if they had the money and the production space, they probably WOULD have made Bristol Ridge 14nm.

these APUs don't do anything for AMD, people are still avoiding them

and if you payed some attention to the mobile market, notebook/laptop OEMs aren't keen of releasing products based on these APUs

the only though I have is that somehow Apple will be building some MacBook with one of these

18 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

As a head's up for those looking more into what they are comparing this A12-9800E against. They are comparing it to a i5 6500T.

So they are comparing two laptops, from what I can tell. But it's at least nice to know what they are putting it up against.

the 6500t´s PM score is on avg 5850 , (click for source)

doing some napkin math that will give the AMD chip an theoretical score of about 6850 wich will put it there 

Unbenannt.PNG

almost as good as a 6300 or an 4590s , pretty impressive for an AMD apu 

in cinebench the 6500t scores 464 on avg ,  (click for source)

doing the beloved napkin math again the amd chip scores a theoretical 542 wich will put it here

Unbenannt.PNG

interesting to say the least 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

32 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

the 6500t´s PM score is on avg 5850 , (click for source)

doing some napkin math that will give the AMD chip an theoretical score of about 6850 wich will put it there 

~snip

almost as good as a 6300 or an 4590s , pretty impressive for an AMD apu 

in cinebench the 6500t scores 464 on avg ,  (click for source)

doing the beloved napkin math again the amd chip scores a theoretical 542 wich will put it here

~snip~

interesting to say the least 

Yeah, it's just sad that people don't care about low-/mid-tier laptops without discrete graphics. If they work, then it's good enough for them.