Core i7 7700k benchmark

NumLock21

They get clicks that way. Journalism does have to be successful as a business at the end of the day.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

My easily attainable 4.7ghz 6600k already gets 5700 and 16k so i mean decent gain especially cuz same chipset which i love so i dont have to replace my mobo when i wanna upgrade cpu...

That's fake:

Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
Model Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z170XP-SLI
Processor Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.20 GHz 
1 processor, 4 cores, 8 threads
Processor ID GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 9
Processor Codename  
Processor Package  
L1 Instruction Cache 32 KB x 4
L1 Data Cache 32 KB x 4
L2 Cache 256 KB x 4
L3 Cache 8192 KB
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z270XP-SLI-CF
Northbridge Intel ID591F 05
Southbridge Intel IDA2C5 00
BIOS American Megatrends Inc. 5.12

2 different motherboards pictured ?

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

29 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

That's fake:

Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
Model Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z170XP-SLI
Processor Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.20 GHz 
1 processor, 4 cores, 8 threads
Processor ID GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 9
Processor Codename  
Processor Package  
L1 Instruction Cache 32 KB x 4
L1 Data Cache 32 KB x 4
L2 Cache 256 KB x 4
L3 Cache 8192 KB
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z270XP-SLI-CF
Northbridge Intel ID591F 05
Southbridge Intel IDA2C5 00
BIOS American Megatrends Inc. 5.12

2 different motherboards pictured ?

I feel like that might indicate the opposite, actually. If someone were to fake this I don't think they would make that dumb of a mistake, so my guess is that the board is an engineering sample that got put under the Z170 name for some reason. IDK though that is fishy.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

Just now, Spork829 said:

I feel like that might indicate the opposite, actually. If someone were to fake this I don't think they would make that dumb of a mistake, so my guess is that the board is an engineering sample that got put under the Z170 name for some reason. IDK though that is fishy.

But the Z270 is also there

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

Right, so maybe the motherboard model is the name they masked it with because Z270 isn't public, and the Z270 thing there is taken from the chipset? The more I think about my argument the less sense it makes... maybe just ignore me

Just now, Spork829 said:

Right, so maybe the motherboard model is the name they masked it with because Z270 isn't public, and the Z270 thing there is taken from the chipset? The more I think about my argument the less sense it makes... maybe just ignore me

Z270 is confirmed. They get model from the BIOS.

Spoiler

AXIOM

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

The manufacturer can change the DMI string of unreleased products (in this case, the Z270 motherboard) to anything they want it to be. When programs such as Geekbench request the DMI string, it will display whatever name is attached to it. In this case, the DMI string of the motherboard is the Z170 SLI, but the chipset itself is Z270. 

Just because the two are different, does not make it fake. The score itself is also in line with a 4.5ghz chip of Skylake IPC, I've proven that already with my own tests. There is no 100% confirmation as to whether or not its real, but if it is, its performance is no different than Skylake, clock for clock. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

The manufacturer can change the DMI string of unreleased products (in this case, the Z270 motherboard) to anything they want it to be. When programs such as Geekbench request the DMI string, it will display whatever name is attached to it. In this case, the DMI string of the motherboard is the Z170 SLI, but the chipset itself is Z270. 

Just because the two are different, does not make it fake. The score itself is also in line with a 4.5ghz chip of Skylake IPC, I've proven that already with my own tests. There is no 100% confirmation as to whether or not its real, but if it is, its performance is no different than Skylake, clock for clock. 

Haha! See I was right and I totally knew that and stood by it the whole time...

Just now, Spork829 said:

Haha! See I was right and I totally knew that and stood by it the whole time...

People often forget that DMI strings are misleading. Look at my previous score. My CPU was clocked at 4.5ghz, yet DMI string says its 4.0ghz. For all we know, the 7700k in this benchmark could be overclocked, and we wouldn't even know it. People need to take things like this with a grain of salt. 

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

People often forget that DMI strings are misleading. Look at my previous score. My CPU was clocked at 4.5ghz, yet DMI string says its 4.0ghz. For all we know, the 7700k in this benchmark could be overclocked, and we wouldn't even know it. People need to take things like this with a grain of salt. 

For leaked info about a new tech product? More like a boulder of salt. A mountain of salt. Perhaps a moon of salt for Wccftech...

1 hour ago, Mahootis said:

I found another

Yeah, there are quite a few of them now. 

https://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/633525

https://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/633164

https://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/633138

Notice how low the scores are? Also, they are on ASrock Z170 Pro4 boards (or so the DMI string indicates). Either that previous 7700k score was heavily overclocked compared to this, or this score was heavily underclocked. Either way, this has gotten a whole lot more interesting. 

On 10/2/2016 at 11:32 PM, TheKDub said:

Interesting, considerably higher score than the i7 6700k

Single Core:

i5 6600k: 5309
i7 6700k: 5822
i7 7700k: 6131

Multi-Core:

i5 6600k: 14568
i7 6700k: 19437

i7 7700k: 20243

i5 6600k: https://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/620296

i7 6700k: https://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/621525

i7 7700k: https://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/583064 (Same as in the main post)

Hopefully that'll mean some real world performance increases lol

Well... I'm sure we already figured this out by now, but if we take the turbo boost clock speed for the single-core scores:

6600K - 5309 / 3.9 GHz = 1361 per GHz

6700K - 5822 / 4.2 GHz = 1386 per GHz

7700K - 6131 / 4.5 GHz = 1362 per GHz

And the base clock speed for the multi-core scores (excluding the i5 due to no hyperthreading):

6700K - 19437 / 4.0 GHz = 4859 per GHz

6800K - 20243 / 4.2 GHz = 4819 per GHz

It's pretty much the same same score per clock, just a higher clock speed, making it really just a Skylake refresh. That's actually assuming that these results are accurate. It's still a nice respectable bump though, and I'm sure other parts like the iGPU will be considerably improved.

On October 2, 2016 at 11:29 PM, NumLock21 said:

Not much info on it. Just a leaked benchmark on the upcoming Intel Core i7 7700K based on the Kaby Lake architecture

https://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/583064

Question: Are the 7th generation i series CPUs going to be better enough versus the 6th to bother with if I already have a 6700K? (stock speed)

4 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Question: Are the 7th generation i series CPUs going to be better enough versus the 6th to bother with if I already have a 6700K? (stock speed)

Not unless you want optane 3DXPoint or 10-bit H.265 encode/decode iGPU capability.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

13 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Not unless you want optane 3DXPoint or 10-bit H.265 encode/decode iGPU capability.

Idk what either of those are so I'm going to assume no then.  ?

Though if a 7th gen i7 would turn out not to be much more than whatever 6th gen CPU I might otherwise get for the mini-itx build I want to do eventually then I might swap the 6700K in my main desktop for a 7th gen i7 and use my 6700K in the itx build.

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

In terms of gaming performance, 5% improvement in CPU core clock speed is really not going to affect much of anything unless your CPU is the bottleneck, such as if you're playing at 1080p, which even then, it's not very meaningful. When it's not CPU-bound, then you might still see slightly higher minimum frame rate, but nothing really worth it.

You're going to end up paying another $350 for the new CPU, and if you want to take advantage of what actually matters in Kaby Lake, another $150 or so for a Z270 motherboard. Otherwise, the best price-effective option is, if you are using a Z170 motherboard, is to set the clock speed to 4.2 GHz and the turbo boost of the first core to 4.5 GHz. Even if you're using something like an H170, B150, or H110 motherboard that doesn't have the support for overclocking, there's little reason to spend so much for so little improvement.

13 minutes ago, Kavawuvi said:

In terms of gaming performance, 5% improvement in CPU core clock speed is really not going to affect much of anything unless your CPU is the bottleneck, such as if you're playing at 1080p, which even then, it's not very meaningful. When it's not CPU-bound, then you might still see slightly higher minimum frame rate, but nothing really worth it.

You're going to end up paying another $350 for the new CPU, and if you want to take advantage of what actually matters in Kaby Lake, another $150 or so for a Z270 motherboard. Otherwise, the best price-effective option is, if you are using a Z170 motherboard, is to set the clock speed to 4.2 GHz and the turbo boost of the first core to 4.5 GHz. Even if you're using something like an H170, B150, or H110 motherboard that doesn't have the support for overclocking, there's little reason to spend so much for so little improvement.

I thought the 7th Intel CPUs were supposed to still use the 1151 socket?

Or you just mean that a new Z series chipset motherboard (Z270) would be needed to properly make use of a 7th gen CPU?

10 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I thought the 7th Intel CPUs were supposed to still use the 1151 socket?

Or you just mean that a new Z series chipset motherboard (Z270) would be needed to properly make use of a 7th gen CPU?

Nah, you'll probably be able to use the i7-7700K in a Skylake motherboard with a BIOS update. These processors should work just fine if so.

I'm talking about taking advantage of the other features of Kaby Lake, like native USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt 3 support, and more lanes provided by the chipset. Basically, some things that you might see that'll benefit newer motherboards.

3 minutes ago, Kavawuvi said:

Nah, you'll probably be able to use the i7-7700K in a Skylake motherboard with a BIOS update. These processors should work just fine if so.

I'm talking about taking advantage of the other features of Kaby Lake, like native USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt 3 support, and more lanes provided by the chipset. Basically, some things that you might see that'll benefit newer motherboards.

Ah.  Ok.

But doesn't Z170 have 3.1 and thunderbolt 3 already?  I know my Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 does.

Unless you mean those will be on all Z270 boards and not just some like with Z170?

Sorry for my confusion.  It's almost 5am where I am so I'm a little scatterbrained atm.  (Thank you insomnia.  /s lol)

I should probably try to go sleep now..  >_>

2 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Ah.  Ok.

But doesn't Z170 have 3.1 and thunderbolt 3 already?  I know my Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 does.

Unless you mean those will be on all Z270 boards and not just some like with Z170?

Sorry for my confusion.  It's almost 5am where I am so I'm a little scatterbrained atm.  (Thank you insomnia.  /s lol)

I should probably try to go sleep now..  >_>

USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt 3 already exist, but require an additional component on the motherboard. It'll be supported from the chipset, meaning you may see it on a lot more motherboards, including cheaper ones.

This sort of socket really need's a bump up to 6 Cores IMO. I feel like i have no reason to move from a i7 4790k on any of these CPU's for the 5-10% Performance Gain. They otherwise have a couple of nice things like thunderbolt and stuff but stuff that you can live without, My Board even supports NVME i mean really not seeing the point tbh.

Chicken Nuggets

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Custom Loop | Motherboard -  MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM - Mushkin Redline (2x4GB) 2400Mhz   Graphics Card - GTX Titan X(Maxwell)  | Power Supply - Super Flower 80+ Gold 650w Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 256gb + 750 Seagate Hybrid + 1TB WD Green + Raid 0 4X500GB + Raid 1 500GB HDD Case - HAF-X | Colour Theme - Orange & Black | Monitor - ACER Predator x34 Overclock to 100hz

27 minutes ago, Hayabusa1989 said:

This sort of socket really need's a bump up to 6 Cores IMO. I feel like i have no reason to move from a i7 4790k on any of these CPU's for the 5-10% Performance Gain. They otherwise have a couple of nice things like thunderbolt and stuff but stuff that you can live without, My Board even supports NVME i mean really not seeing the point tbh.

Coffee Lake will be bringing that.

Does the chipset affect performance? Like, would I be better off with a z270 board and 7700K over a z170 and 7700k?  Or is the chipset different from actual CPU performance? Jw 

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM