Ultimate DIY Desk PC - Desk Construction

LinusTech
On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 2:28 AM, Aurthus110 said:

I don't understand. Why two pumps? Why two large reservoirs? Help me understand the ways of water cooling. Bleed the loop? Pumps sucking air from reservoirs? What?

most people don't realise that in every 90 degree bend in water pipes you lose 50% of the pressure so a basic watercooled pc setup one pump is designed to power but if you start adding bends for more parts like extra reservoirs, radiators then one pump will (might) not be enough. also its better to have two incase one stops working. I don't think linus has ever mentioned this. (maybe they are doing it from experience of watercooling all pc one office. Remember that big fail!?! lol that was funny)

here is a pc in a desktop build i did for a friend started out with 8 27" asus monitors then went to 6 of the same monitors then went to  3 asus monitors then built it into a desk with a custom case and water cooling linus ur built is sure awsome is why i wanted to post this for you

20131031-Johnny fine tuning computer TWO.jpg

10452608_10152121039176120_1115222653_o.jpg

10465779_10152127162396120_722832698_o.jpg

14489717_10208744624826401_894847440_o.jpg

On 22. 10. 2016 at 1:21 AM, Ausfernando said:

When Is part 2 going to come out!

Probably 2day

On 10/14/2016 at 4:45 PM, johnny moore said:

here is a pc in a desktop build i did for a friend started out with 8 27" asus monitors then went to 6 of the same monitors then went to  3 asus monitors then built it into a desk with a custom case and water cooling linus ur built is sure awsome is why i wanted to post this for you

Iv been wondering why i don't see more copper builds. its more leak proof and looks way cooler. Im not a water cooling fan but if i was going to water cool id get out the old brazing torch and make some sick sculpture out of copper

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

On 10/5/2016 at 8:28 PM, Aurthus110 said:

I don't understand. Why two pumps? Why two large reservoirs? Help me understand the ways of water cooling. Bleed the loop? Pumps sucking air from reservoirs? What?

he did that 100% for style pumps and to take up space. 

his issue was that he miss calculated the amount of free space he would have and in most pc builds including this one free space just looks bad.

normally for watercooling a single pump is fine up to 2 gpus 1 cpu and 3 rads (depending on the pump and other factors) and there is never a necessity for 2 reservoirs (in theory you could have a loop without a reservoir).

On 10/8/2016 at 3:58 PM, carlbrecon said:

most people don't realise that in every 90 degree bend in water pipes you lose 50% of the pressure so a basic watercooled pc setup one pump is designed to power but if you start adding bends for more parts like extra reservoirs, radiators then one pump will (might) not be enough. also its better to have two incase one stops working. I don't think linus has ever mentioned this. (maybe they are doing it from experience of watercooling all pc one office. Remember that big fail!?! lol that was funny)

where did you get this information!? once per 90 degree bend. im sorry but this is false.

CPU: I7 8700k @ 5ghz | Motherboard: Asus Z370-Prime | RAM: White Crucial balistix DDR4 2133mhz | GPU: GTX 1080TI | Storage: ssd HyperX 240gig, 2x2tb seagate Firecuda 1tb, BPX 480 gig nvme, 1tb sandisk ssd  | Cooling: Custom loop | PSU: Evga supernova 850w G2 | Case: Phanteks enthoo evolv atx black White modded | system theme: White/RGB/Weiss

On 23/10/2016 at 11:27 PM, thorbrantly101 said:

where did you get this information!? once per 90 degree bend. im sorry but this is false.

Actually, is not entirely false. You do lose a good amount of energy with a 90º curve, but the amount of energy that you lose is given by: H=K*(U^2)/(2g), being H the amount of energy in meters of water, K a constant generally 0.5, U is the velocity of the fluid and g is, of course, 9,81m/s^2. Being that the velocities are too low and the amount of energy (in meters of fluid) needed is too low  because the components are almost at the same height, i don't belive that's the case for the two pumps.
I do belive that they use two pumps, first for style and then because they'll probably cool the GPU too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2016 at 8:45 PM, johnny moore said:

20131031-Johnny fine tuning computer TWO.jpg

10452608_10152121039176120_1115222653_o.jpg

10465779_10152127162396120_722832698_o.jpg

14489717_10208744624826401_894847440_o.jpg

that's sick, man.

2 hours ago, LinusTech said:

that's sick, man.

bet those copper tubes reminded you of the whole room watercooling project!

Details separate people.

On 02/10/2016 at 4:13 PM, LinusTech said:

It's another father-son project.. An affordable (and awesome) desk PC.. where my dad does pretty much all of the work! Don't worry I'll actually help in part 2!

Intel 6950X CPU

Amazon: http://geni.us/yAHl

ASUS X99-E WS

Amazon: http://geni.us/1EEuOCF

Nvidia GTX 1080

Amazon: http://geni.us/pdOI

Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition #69

Amazon: http://geni.us/XctCrNw

Corsair AX1500i Power Supply

Amazon: http://geni.us/BlzPWz

Seagate 10TB Helium Drives

Amazon: http://geni.us/e9UE4

Cablemod Cables

https://store.cablemod.com/configurator/

COOLING COMPONENTS

EK Water Cooling Configurator: https://www.ekwb.com/configurator/

Noctua NF-F12 FAns

Amazon: http://geni.us/2eEtEQO

Primoflex LRT

Amazon: http://geni.us/fXxR

Hey Linus, I've done this concept quite recently but instead of having a leg cutout I just made mine a normal box here's some pics I was inspired by imfaceroll and got to meet him recently at pax aus. U clearly have more budget, the next thing I would have done was make many intakes with more fans and place a large sheet of acrylic with colours for the components to hide and cables

IMG_1115.JPG

IMG_1116.JPG

IMG_1117.JPG

8D49C5E2-E4C8-415C-B2EA-938952953C01-2034-0000030CA0FDB0E4_tmp.png

0E9D137B-8986-4181-B857-55CA4D5797A8-2458-0000035AA642A118_tmp.png

IMG_0842.JPG

IMG_0846.JPG

IMG_0847.JPG

IMG_0850.JPG

after watching part 2, the tubes will just hang below? prone to cuts and pulls, not to mention it may even be in way with seating position?

Unless of course Linus plans on making a cover for them, but after knowing Linus for so long i do not believe he has planned it this far!9_99_9

In Video #2 did I see a Ribbon Type cable coming from one of the PCIx slots for one of the GPU's time stamp 1:25 ???

UPDATE:

I took to searching and found this on Amazon, It is a ribbon riser but made for one type of case, and from the reviews I saw it is not working or is faulty.

Edited by SGTDRE
Added link to PCIX ribbon cable from on Amazon

On 02/10/2016 at 1:15 AM, ShadowTechXTS said:

Forum users are so awesome we get early access to videos.

but vessel and floatplane pilot?

12 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

but vessel and floatplane pilot?

They get it before us.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

U can brag about ur desk PC but i took it a few steps ahead of u. And actually way before u like 10 years ago and built a computer into my bed. U know the little box thingy under the bed u put ur sheets and extra pillows in. 

Well i had a computer built into that.lets see u beat that Linus

12 hours ago, TheAvokadoMan said:

U can brag about ur desk PC but i took it a few steps ahead of u. And actually way before u like 10 years ago and built a computer into my bed. U know the little box thingy under the bed u put ur sheets and extra pillows in. 

Well i had a computer built into that.lets see u beat that Linus

not really impressed. beds are made to have storige space desks don't. you might aswell just put a pre-biuld pc in a drawer.

32 minutes ago, cakevreter2000 said:

not really impressed. beds are made to have storige space desks don't. you might aswell just put a pre-biuld pc in a drawer.

Well eith the Vesa mount for the screen it is really awesome

Hey Linus,

I'm trying to crate my own case mod, but I need threded inserts for wood, and I don't know wich ones to use. Is the threading 6/32 or m3?

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't really like the color at first, but ended up looking okay.