Would the power supply in this build be overkill?

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

550w is no overkill at all. Why you need a cooler. i3 6100 already have stock cooler. Drop that cooler and get an SSD

2 minutes ago, slomo007 said:

£101? It is platinum efficiency but that's a bit too much for a 430 watt PSU.

400*

27 minutes ago, slomo007 said:

I agree with you that 550 watt is overkill for this system. But I don't see any -550 watt G2. Also I might be installing a RX 470 in there instead (depends if It drops in price and if I'll be able to even afford it)

Ah, yes. Lately, many high-end PSU that had been releasing started out at 550-650w. Of course, that doesn't mean you can get a good quality 450w unit either, like the Seasonic G 450w (although, I believe you can get the G2 for about the same price).

You could save quiet a bit of money by getting a different cooler. I mean even the stock cooler would be good for a non-OCed i3 which may allow you to invest in an i5 or the SSD that someone had mentioned. If you wish to get an aftermarket cooler, then the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is an option. As for putting a RX470 in there, you wouldn't see more than 200wDC during gaming load, so something along the lines of the Corsair CX450M / Vengeance 400w would be plenty for that system.

1 minute ago, quan289 said:

Ah, yes. Lately, many high-end PSU that had been releasing started out at 550-650w. Of course, that doesn't mean you can get a good quality 450w unit either, like the Seasonic G 450w.

You could save quiet a bit of money by getting a different cooler. I mean even the stock cooler would be good for a non-OCed i3 which may allow you to invest in an i5. If you wish to get an aftermarket cooler, then the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is an option. As for putting a RX470 in there, you wouldn't see more than 200wDC during gaming load, so something along the lines of the Corsair CX450M / Vengeance 400w would be plenty for that system.

I've heard many bad things about the Corsair CX series of power supplys. Also, thanks for telling me about the Seasonic G 450. I'll be sure to check it out.

10 minutes ago, slomo007 said:

I've heard many bad things about the Corsair CX series of power supplys. Also, thanks for telling me about the Seasonic G 450. I'll be sure to check it out.

Quite honestly, the issues with the CX series was a bit overblown, but the CX450M I had mentioned is updated model and is much better than the older CX430/500/600 / M design. It's based on more modern DC-DC regulated design that offer better voltage stability and full capability with C6/C7 state, as well as it could do silver efficiency despite being rated Bronze. It's also have a higher 40C rating (which is a point that many have complained about in the past) and a longer 5 year warranty.

It's a good choice for those on a budget, and it may allow you to allocate some of that budget elsewhere. Of course, the G2 is indeed an excellent high-end unit, if you still wish to go with that path.

It's made by Seasonic, top quality components.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

1 hour ago, slomo007 said:

The only reason why I'm choosing the cooler is because it looks good, but thinking about it the stock intel CPU cooler doesn't look that bad. Might as well get an SSD anyway since it was in the back of my mind. It 

stock cooler are loud!!!!

Just now, JeJaRaLa said:

Thats why I got the S version of the Eclipse P400.

1 hour ago, SCAMAZING said:

WOW! You look at dat TDP. 242 Watts vs a 550 watt PSU? People are superbly ignorant.

It would never kill to own a very good PSU if he decides to upgrade later on.

To OP, yes it's overkill but it's a nice PSU if you want to upgrade later on. The cooler's also nice but be prepared to waste an assload of time trying to get it on if you want it.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

11 minutes ago, quan289 said:

Quite honestly, the issues with the CX series was a bit overblown, but the CX450M I had mentioned is updated model and is much better than the older CX430/500/600 / M design. It's based on more modern DC-DC regulated design that offer better voltage stability and full capability with C6/C7 state, as well as it could do silver efficiency despite being rated Bronze. It's also have a higher 40C rating (which is a point that many have complained about in the past) and a longer 5 year warranty.

It's a good choice for those on a budget, and it may allow you to allocate some of that budget elsewhere. Of course, the G2 is indeed an excellent high-end unit, if you still wish to go with that path.

Thanks! I'll think about it.

7 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

It's made by Seasonic, top quality components.

The G2 is made by Super Flower, and is basically the 80+ Gold Leadex with different stickers on it.

The GS is made by Seasonic, and quite frankly, the 550 and 650 watt models aren't that great for their money when the GQ 650 is less money than the GS 650 and performs about the same as it, and when the GS is more money than the superior G2 550 or 650. The GS 850 and above are excellent, however.

16 minutes ago, JeJaRaLa said:

Intel stock coolers are not very loud.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

10 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

The G2 is made by Super Flower, and is basically the 80+ Gold Leadex with different stickers on it.

The GS is made by Seasonic, and quite frankly, the 550 and 650 watt models aren't that great for their money when the GQ 650 is less money than the GS 650 and performs about the same as it, and when the GS is more money than the superior G2 550 or 650. The GS 850 and above are excellent, however.

The G2 is actually a fair bit altered from the Leadex which is why it doesn't do the whole "PWR OK Brownouts and kill your circuit breaker" thing the Leadex does in areas with iffy power. The GS is also modular and shorter so it does make some sense for many. But yeah, I'd generally agree here.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Just now, STRMfrmXMN said:

The G2 is actually a fair bit altered from the Leadex which is why it doesn't do the whole "PWR OK Brownouts and kill your circuit breaker" thing the Leadex does in areas with iffy power. The GS is also modular and shorter so it does make some sense for many. But yeah, I'd generally agree here.

eh, basically is basically

i was kinda sure that they changed something in it but i actually didn't know what it was

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

eh, basically is basically

i was kinda sure that they changed something in it but i actually didn't know what it was

I know capacitors are different, can't remember all the things that were changed 

9 hours ago, Ashiella said:

I should probably also have mentioned that it would have to be a lower or equal cost.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

16 hours ago, slomo007 said:

The only reason why I'm choosing the cooler is because it looks good, but thinking about it the stock intel CPU cooler doesn't look that bad. Might as well get an SSD anyway since it was in the back of my mind. It 

You would much rather benefit from an SSD to boot off than get a cool looking cooler.