Install Linux (Kali 2016.2) on Dell Inspiron 7559

I really cant install kali linux (or whatever linux distro on the web) on my Dell Inspiron 7559 (i7 6700hq, 16gb ram, GTX 960M)

Kali freeze immidiatly after the login, other distro are not possible even to install, they freeze almost instantanealy after the boot up of the usb. 

Can some of you solve my problem? 

Thanks to all

Are you sure it's freezing?

Linux can be finnicky and there's the possibility it doesn't have driver for your touchpad and stuff.

You said other distros freeze too, but what distros have you tried?

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

3 minutes ago, LtStaffel said:

Linux can be finnicky and there's the possibility it doesn't have driver for your touchpad and stuff.

You said other distros freeze too, but what distros have you tried?

Kali 2016.2 complete the install without problem, it boot up and i have to log in, username than password, then stop, it remain grey and never complete the login, i am not able to move the mouse or switch in tty, changed gui from gnome to xfce of mate or whatever but I have the same problem, totally blocked after login. 

For other distros, i tried Ubuntu 16.04, 14.04, XUbuntu 16.04 and 15.04, the usb boot up, I press "install ubuntu" it start the loading (u know, the 4 points or the wheel) but it freeze and i have to shut down brutally

That's not a lot of information, does this happen after installation or during setup? What exact distros have you tried?

Your laptop is listed as certified for ubuntu compatibility, in theory it should work at least with that http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/hardware/201508-19027/

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, Paparello97 said:

Kali 2016.2 complete the install without problem, it boot up and i have to log in, username than password, then stop, it remain grey and never complete the login, i am not able to move the mouse or switch in tty, changed gui from gnome to xfce of mate or whatever but I have the same problem, totally blocked after login. 

For other distros, i tried Ubuntu 16.04, 14.04, XUbuntu 16.04 and 15.04, the usb boot up, I press "install ubuntu" it start the loading (u know, the 4 points or the wheel) but it freeze and i have to shut down brutally

Can you move the mouse at any point before the freezing?

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

5 hours ago, LtStaffel said:

You said other distros freeze too, but what distros have you 

I really cant give you a lot of information, I cant paste a log because there is not. 

To summarize, I tried with Kali 2.0, Kali Rolling 2016, 2016.2, the last one with xfce, lfce and gnome. 

As I said, the install go straight without a warning or something, everything go well. 

At login phase i submit the username and password without problem (it seems to work), then kali freeze. 

I mean completally, i cant do anything, move mouse or switch in tty, it remain grey for ever, it is a common problem, i read that other users is facing this bug, maybe some of u can fix it. 

For other distros, as i said, i boot the usb and press "install ubuntu" but almost inmediatly it freeze, and i cant do a fucking nothing, i know that is not a lot of information but is everything that i have. 

This laptop have a lot of problem with linux os, i hope you can help

8 hours ago, Paparello97 said:

This laptop have a lot of problem with linux os, i hope you can help

Some laptops inherently do. LOL. And also why you installing Kali LOL, you trying to be a black hat hacker or white hat hacker or a cybersecurity engineer? 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

9 hours ago, Pendragon said:

Some laptops inherently do. LOL. And also why you installing Kali LOL, you trying to be a black hat hacker or white hat hacker or a cybersecurity engineer? 

I am studying ICT at college, I would like to graduate and take the OSCP too.

I want to be a pen tester and a white hat

13 hours ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

Can't you just use a VM

No, I need to use my hardware, i have an i7 and i have it for a reason, be used by kali.

• 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 4:19 AM, Paparello97 said:

No, I need to use my hardware, i have an i7 and i have it for a reason, be used by kali.

I'm going through the same issue, hit Ctrl+Alt+F4 and it should take you to black screen and you will see the error there. If it says Bug Soft lock CPU # stuck for X amount of second then well welcome to the club. From the research I done some said it was the PSU/Battery providing incorrect voltage. Which it booted up just fine after I unplug the PSU but cant confirm if its the actual issue since after I installed NVidia drivers it took an epic dump! So apparently it has to do with drivers as well but who the hell knows. I recommend you go down the rabbit hole and keep doing research. Now after several clean installs it just gives me the same error as above . Now I can access kali via terminal if I don't log in by pressing  Ctrl+Alt+F4 and you can execute applications from there. But other than that I have to wait to get home before I can start troubleshooting again. Honestly at this point I settle for a virtual machine Just assign it the appropriate cores and ram and go from there its not like you are going to be cracking any hashes on a 960m lol. At least I don't recommend it at all....

On 10/2/2016 at 5:19 AM, Paparello97 said:

While Kali has gained support to install and run like a normal OS, IMO it's easier just to run it as a bootable disk from a USB flash drive. I've had issues with Linux not installing on certain laptops for whatever reason, newer versions of Ubuntu in particular. I've also had issues with Mint as well. I've settled on Fedora as my preferred distro now https://getfedora.org/en/workstation/

3 minutes ago, Omon_Ra said:

While Kali has gained support to install and run like a normal OS, IMO it's easier just to run it as a bootable disk from a USB flash drive. I've had issues with Linux not installing on certain laptops for whatever reason, newer versions of Ubuntu in particular. I've also had issues with Mint as well. I've settled on Fedora as my preferred distro now https://getfedora.org/en/workstation/

I agree! Sometimes things just don't work, in my case I can use Kali from a bootable USB without any issues. I recommend OP does the same thing. The important thing is that you have an important platform when you are out and about assisting a client.

On 9/29/2016 at 5:13 AM, Paparello97 said:

I really cant install kali linux (or whatever linux distro on the web) on my Dell Inspiron 7559 (i7 6700hq, 16gb ram, GTX 960M)

Kali freeze immidiatly after the login, other distro are not possible even to install, they freeze almost instantanealy after the boot up of the usb. 

Can some of you solve my problem? 

Thanks to all

I got it to work OP, http://askubuntu.com/questions/689380/dual-boot-on-dell-inspiron-7559-laptop

follow these directions and it should be fixed.