Nvidia Shadowplay Beta Launching October 28th

ACatWithThumbs

I tried a bunch of games and it's smooth but I am saving the recordings on a SSD so that mite help.

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

It is really good at the moment. However it would seem that it doesn't work when you have the game in fullscreen windowed or windowed in general. Also V-Sync is disabled.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

It is really good at the moment. However it would seem that it doesn't work when you have the game in fullscreen windowed or windowed in general. Also V-Sync is disabled.

No windowed full screen mode means no overlays.. But I don't use any.. So meh .. All good here... I didn't see any issues with vsync .. How can you tell its disabled? And in which game?

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

Here is a video I recorded with Shadow play, while I was playing there were no frame drops or slow downs. The original file was 1.55GB for 1080 at 60fps. I had to turn on vsync because with it off the video is choppy.

This is because it records at 60fps.

4GB is a filesystem limit not a Windows 7 limit, I have not not tried to record a file larger than 4GB.  FAT32 should be the only filesystem limited to 4GB files, NTFS and exFAT support files larger than 4GB

I'm 100% fully aware of this. But when they announced it, they said windows 7 in both 64bit and 32bit on both FAT32 and NTFS had a 4GB file-size limit, which was not present in windows 8.. That's why I'm asking, and why I also said it's retarded..

Asus x79 Deluxe | Intel 3930k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz DDR3 | 2 x 3GB EVGA 580GTX FTW Hydro Copper 2 - SLI | Xonar Essence STX | 2 x 256GB Samsung 840 Pros | 2TB Samsung F4 | CM 1300W Silent Pro Hybrid | NZXT Switch 810 - White | Phobya G-Changer 420, XSPC 280 | RP-452X2 Rev 2.0 | Monsoon 7/16 Fittings | XSPC Raystorm | Roccat Kone | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | AKG K702 Reference Headphones | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Tested this in CS:S, works great, love it

Intel i5 4670K 3.4GHz | EVGA 780Ti Classified | ASUS Gryphon Z87 w/ Armor Kit | G.Skill Sniper 8GB @1866MHz

Samsung 840 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Kingwin Lazer 850W Bronze PSU | Corsair 350D Window

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate BF3 Edition | Razer Naga Molten

No windowed full screen mode means no overlays.. But I don't use any.. So meh .. All good here... I didn't see any issues with vsync .. How can you tell its disabled? And in which game?

I use RivaTuner and EVGA Precision X Overlay to monitor my GPU. It still works in windowed so it's just ShadowPlay. Maybe we will get an update that will fix it.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I'm 100% fully aware of this. But when they announced it, they said windows 7 in both 64bit and 32bit on both FAT32 and NTFS had a 4GB file-size limit, which was not present in windows 8.. That's why I'm asking, and why I also said it's retarded..

I have files over 4GB on windows 7 but shadow play does seem to cut you off at 4GB for some reason, and it will not keep recording to another file like Fraps does.  Still has some work but a very good start.

I have files over 4GB on windows 7 but shadow play does seem to cut you off at 4GB for some reason, and it will not keep recording to another file like Fraps does.  Still has some work but a very good start.

That's all I wanted to know, thank you :)

Fraps does any file size, I'm just hoping it's not some Faux limit put in place to make people move to Windows 8... There were a lot of comments about it on their announcement page and one of their tech guys seemed to say he'd look into it, disappointed it hasn't been resolved for release as tbh, it's BS.

Does it make another file once it hits the 4GB cap?

Asus x79 Deluxe | Intel 3930k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz DDR3 | 2 x 3GB EVGA 580GTX FTW Hydro Copper 2 - SLI | Xonar Essence STX | 2 x 256GB Samsung 840 Pros | 2TB Samsung F4 | CM 1300W Silent Pro Hybrid | NZXT Switch 810 - White | Phobya G-Changer 420, XSPC 280 | RP-452X2 Rev 2.0 | Monsoon 7/16 Fittings | XSPC Raystorm | Roccat Kone | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | AKG K702 Reference Headphones | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Well that's just retarded, and half-arsed :(

yes I agree you think it would be limited to 32 or 64 bit then. The thing is that on Win7 both the 10min Shadow Play and the 20min manual are 3.8gb. I have not tested on Win8 yet but I assume the it will probably just be 3.8gb and 20min for both.

I use RivaTuner and EVGA Precision X Overlay to monitor my GPU. It still works in windowed so it's just ShadowPlay. Maybe we will get an update that will fix it.

Right now Shadow Play only works in full screen a cool thing is that it actually works in any Direct3D application that is full screen. I actually recorded anime that I was watching via MPC-HC and madVR using Shadow Play. The logo also showed up in WMC but It just recorded the interface not what I was playing on TV. My guess is that microsofts PlayReady content protection or possibly HDCP was preventing it. I think one way to check this would be to play a protected BD in a player that uses Direct3D and see if it records. If it doesnt its likely HDCP which would actually give some incite to how the system works and explain how recording doesnt impact framerate much if at all.

I still havnt dug around to see where its caching the Shadow Play file. It could possibly be using ram or your page file directly to cache which would explain the 4GB limit as they dont want have to differentiate between 32bit at 64bit (at least in the beta?).

Well that's just retarded, and half-arsed :(

Why the software is not called recode your self playing the whole night its called Shadow Play and it works very well for what they have named and marketed it for. Basically it works like a DVR's pause buffer in reverse, storing up a cache then once you decide you did something amazing its saves that cache, which should easily encompass what you wanted. Its not meant for steaming on twitch or even recording a whole nights worth of gaming, its meant for the average gamer who just wants to record something cool he just did and maybe post it on youtube for his friends to see (pentakill, killing spree, awesome no scope, raid boss kill, someone doing something stipid, maybe a weird artifact in the game, etc). This is why its recorded into a mp4 thats basically ready to be uploaded to youtube once cropped down to exactly what you want. I think this would have been praised much more if this had come when uploading to youtube was the norm (even for a nights gameplay) and streaming hadnt become the new hot thing yet.

yes I agree you think it would be limited to 32 or 64 bit then. The thing is that on Win7 both the 10min Shadow Play and the 20min manual are 3.8gb. I have not tested on Win8 yet but I assume the it will probably just be 3.8gb and 20min for both.

Right now Shadow Play only works in full screen a cool thing is that it actually works in any Direct3D application that is full screen. I actually recorded anime that I was watching via MPC-HC and madVR using Shadow Play. The logo also showed up in WMC but It just recorded the interface not what I was playing on TV. My guess is that microsofts PlayReady content protection or possibly HDCP was preventing it. I think one way to check this would be to play a protected BD in a player that uses Direct3D and see if it records. If it doesnt its likely HDCP which would actually give some incite to how the system works and explain how recording doesnt impact framerate much if at all.

I still havnt dug around to see where its caching the Shadow Play file. It could possibly be using ram or your page file directly to cache which would explain the 4GB limit as they dont want have to differentiate between 32bit at 64bit (at least in the beta?).

Why the software is not called recode your self playing the whole night its called Shadow Play and it works very well for what they have named and marketed it for. Basically it works like a DVR's pause buffer in reverse, storing up a cache then once you decide you did something amazing its saves that cache, which should easily encompass what you wanted. Its not meant for steaming on twitch or even recording a whole nights worth of gaming, its meant for the average gamer who just wants to record something cool he just did and maybe post it on youtube for his friends to see (pentakill, killing spree, awesome no scope, raid boss kill, someone doing something stipid, maybe a weird artifact in the game, etc). This is why its recorded into a mp4 thats basically ready to be uploaded to youtube once cropped down to exactly what you want. I think this would have been praised much more if this had come when uploading to youtube was the norm (even for a nights gameplay) and streaming hadnt become the new hot thing yet.

Yea it is definitely caching the file. My loading times are a lot longer with shadowplay on. So i think it goes on the HDD

That's great and all that, but, Fraps has exactly the same feature, and will still record a file over 4GB. The 4GB limit was put up on the listing *specifically* for windows 7 only. If it's there it should ONLY be an issue with 32bit windows, not windows 7 on the whole. 

What I want to know is, what technical reason they've come up with for the need for a 4GB file-size limit on Windows 7 32/64Bit and NOT windows 8 32/64Bit, which is inherently not actually an issue because clearly, Fraps can bypass it. It just feels like one of these "lets push them to windows 8" kind of gimmicks..

That is really nice to know. I will probably record some anime for future use.

(\__/)

(='.'=)