What linux to get started on

So I am almost completely done with Microsofts shit. The Anniversary update has almost ruined my experience, and from what I hear it will be even worse. So, what is a good Linux flavor to get started on? 

Breaking things 1 day at a time

1 minute ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

So I am almost completely done with Microsofts shit. The Anniversary update has almost ruined my experience, and from what I hear it will be even worse. So, what is a good Linux flavor to get started on? 

GNU/Linux Mint Cinnamon, but really just get windows 7 man

Also check this channel

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

The anniversary update was great, a lot of awesome additions that should have come to windows years ago.

If you had any issues it's probably because you didn't clean install windows 10.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Ubuntu Desktop is an alright place to start, or maybe something like Linux Mint.

Keep in mind that there are more versions of windows than just windows 10, I personally prefer windows 8.1.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

The anniversary update was great, a lot of awesome additions that should have come to windows years ago.

If you had any issues it's probably because you didn't clean install windows 10.

Apparently. Main issue with Windows is that I can't disable cortona and it is a RAM hog

Ubuntu, Mint, Zorin

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

3 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Ubuntu Desktop is an alright place to start, or maybe something like Linux Mint.

Keep in mind that there are more versions of windows than just windows 10, I personally prefer windows 8.1.

Ive never been a fan of 8.1

1 minute ago, NinJake said:

If you haven't used any distros in the past, go with Ubuntu!

Ive used Ubuntu a little bit

Do you game? Because if you do, getting those windows-based games working on linux will definitely get you familiar with linux in a hurry.

There are two main GUIs for linux, KDE and gnome. I prefer KDE personally, little more vanilla. While gnome is a little more modern I suppose. I don't like the current interface of ubuntu, so I usually go for kubuntu.

That said: my favorite flavor of easy-linux is Mint (KDE) with a kubuntu as a close second. Both are debian based are there is a TON of support. Majority of guides between the two are interchangeable because of this.

Just now, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Apparently. Main issue with Windows is that I can't disable cortona and it is a RAM hog

Windows uses less than 2GB and cortana can be removed from the taskbar so you don't have to see it at all.

If windows is using more than 2GB then again, your problem is that you didn't clean install.

Stop blaming user error on "windows 10 sucks"

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Ive never been a fan of 8.1

I've had fewer issues with it than I had on windows 7 (Driver issues most likely), so I've just stuck with it and gotten used to it.
I rarely access the start menu or any of the side menus, I've got basically all I need on my desktop already.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I had the exact same thought as you and Ubuntu was a really good OS - About a day of using it - see "Best Linux Distro?"

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Windows uses less than 2GB and cortana can be removed from the taskbar so you don't have to see it at all.

If windows is using more than 2GB then again, your problem is that you didn't clean install.

Windows or something in windows is using 3.5Gb at the desktop

Windows or something in windows is using 3.5Gb at the desktop

Yeah, go do a clean install and stop complaining please.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Ive noticed it since I did a clean install (Off a USB drive), so I would say my complaining is justified. I don't see how a install ive had for 2 months has already gone way downhill

Task manager > details. Before a clean install I'd suggest figuring it out so you just dont end up back at square one (usually it's something you've installed, so re-installing just puts you back at square 1 potentially).

And you've got 8gb according to your signature, seems like you have some wiggle room. Unless you're playing GTA-V I don't imagine you'd have too many issues.

Just now, Mikensan said:

Task manager > details. Before a clean install I'd suggest figuring it out so you just dont end up back at square one (usually it's something you've installed, so re-installing just puts you back at square 1 potentially).

And you've got 8gb according to your signature, seems like you have some wiggle room. Unless you're playing GTA-V I don't imagine you'd have too many issues.

Yeah thats a thing on my list (Probably order more tonight or tomorrow). Adding another 16Gb

4 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Yeah thats a thing on my list (Probably order more tonight or tomorrow). Adding another 16Gb

Any other issues than the concern for RAM? You could also get a good overview by | Task Manager > Performance > Resource Monitor

this is what my system (pre-anniversary) looks like right now, pretty much just steam/deluge running.

yS40zDf.png

Just now, Mikensan said:

Any other issues than the concern for RAM? You could also get a good overview by | Task Manager > Performance > Resource Monitor

this is what my system (pre-anniversary) looks like right now, pretty much just steam/diluge running.

yS40zDf.png

I can send you a picture of my task manager later

Ubuntu is a good place to start, it can be very user-friendly depending what kind of user you are. But also remember not many programs support linux.

The geek himself.

I use kali linux because of what I do with scammers etc. 

Ubuntu is a good place to start from as A) Its free, B) easy to install and C) you can get some programs for it. 

Saying that. All linux distros are free but it does come at a cost and that cost is getting software to work on linux. Pretty much most software will involve you learning about commands in linux very quickly!! Don't let that put you off though. I use both windows and linux and I'm always learning something new every day. 

A menace to the scammer world. They hate me wasting their time when they are conning the innocent and giving to the idiots. 

I also recommend Ubuntu if this is a desktop. You can install any desktop environment (*DE) or window manager you want in any Linux distro. I use vtwm, a totally bare-bones window manager based on twm. It makes things like bluetooth and WiFi comparatively easy, and makes it easy to install and use proprietary drivers for devices that require them. 

You can also install the native hypervisor, KVM, with a few simple commands and put any version of Windows you want as a guest. I have stuck with Windows 7, since driver support is moot, EOSL is still years away for this OS, and having it in a guest makes hardware upgrades, backups and rescues a snap. 

In fact, you may want to consider having both your Linux and Windows desktops in guests - and using Linux as the host (but leaving it alone once it and your guests are installed). That way, any mistakes you make (and they are common as people learn Linux/UNIX) can be easily and painlessly rolled back. 

None of you people are being of any help to the guy at all. Why even bother coming to the Linux section if you're going to shoot someone down and tell them to go back to Windows and stop complaining about it. @TubsAlwaysWins, I recommend you read the guide linked in my signature. I mostly cover the ways to narrow down a distro, and the differences between and features of some mainstream distros,

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01