How is this NAS solution?

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
51 minutes ago, RangerLunis said:

Would there be no benefits from ECC memory?

Not much. ALso you weren't using ecc, soo... I don't think you cared.

52 minutes ago, RangerLunis said:

Also I want to be able to access the NAS through wireless to access files from my laptop, are you against the security concerns with wireless or something?

You can use your wireless router or acess point.

I still would suggest this server http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-FS12-TY-C2100-2X-QC-E5506-2-13GHz-NO-HDD-12xTRAYS-16GB-4x4GB-/252041596944?hash=item3aaed99010:g:S9wAAOSw~gRVr9yF

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Rangerlunis/saved/kFWZLk

So here is the idea for a new NAS build.

The thing that mainly worries me is the RAID controller, I've heard bad things about cheap RAID controllers but this seems to have decent specs. 

The idea is to use the SSD tiering software to move my most recently used files to the pair of SSD's. That's how I was explained SSD tiering works?

The 10gb NIC will be connected over to my main rig with another NIC for speedy file transfer. A wifi adapter is added for wireless access. 

One other thing, I don't really understand how RAID controller batteries work, could you just hook one up to any controller? I'm guessing not and it's

only a option for controllers that offer it. The machine will be hooked up to a UPS.

This NAS is a little pricey but compared to the synology NAS which is diskless for $600 I think it's a good price range.

Thanks for any help.

What OS are you running?

A synology would "just work" and be much less hassle, but if you like to tinker, this will work fine.

If you want a faster cheap system look at a used server, like a dell c2100. There about 200 bucks have dual quad core 1366 xeons and up to 288gb of ram and 12 drive bays.

FOr that build

9 minutes ago, RangerLunis said:

The idea is to use the SSD tiering software to move my most recently used files to the pair of SSD's. That's how I was explained SSD tiering works?

Totatly depends on the software. Thats the conecept. For a nas, id just get anouther hdd or two. The caching won't make it much faster, esp since with a raid, you can get over 400mB/s write easily. The OS will also use the ram as a disk cache.

NO reason to get a server board, just get a cheap b150 board.

If you plan on using 10gbe, get a i3. It needs lots of cpu. I also suggest using nfs or iscsi as they normally have much less cpu overhead than cifs/samba.

Don't get a wifi adapter on a server.

Get a psu with a 80mm fan for a 2u case and if it has a top mount fan it can't intake air.

Use the stock cooler. Its more than enough.

You can get much cheaper 10gbe cards on ebay(about 20 bucks)

That case also is not standard rack mount' Its narrow.

14 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

-snip-

I'm pretty confident in my tinkering abilities :P, this would be using linux.

Are you sure on the server board? Would there be no benefits from ECC memory?

Also would something like a e3 xeon be enough cpu power for 10gbe?

Also I want to be able to access the NAS through wireless to access files from my laptop, are you against the security concerns with wireless or something?

51 minutes ago, RangerLunis said:

Would there be no benefits from ECC memory?

52 minutes ago, RangerLunis said:

I still would suggest this server http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-FS12-TY-C2100-2X-QC-E5506-2-13GHz-NO-HDD-12xTRAYS-16GB-4x4GB-/252041596944?hash=item3aaed99010:g:S9wAAOSw~gRVr9yF

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

i like how shipping costs more than teh product for me :P 

you see this? this is my signature. btw im Norwegian 

Spoiler

CPU - Intel I7-5820K, Motherboard - ASUS X99-A, RAM - Crucial DDR4 Ballistix Sport 16GB, GPU - MSI Geforce GTX 970, Case - Cooler Master HAF XB evo, Storage - Intel SSD 330 Series 120GB - OS, WD Desktop Blue 500GB - storage 1, Seagate Barracuda 2TB - storage 2, PSU - Corsair RM850x (overkill i know), Display(s)- AOC 24" g2460Pg, Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, 2 Noctua 120mm PWM, 1 Corsair 120mm AF RED LED, Keyboard - SpeedLink VIRTUIS Advanced, Mouse - razer deathadder chroma, Sound - Logitech Z313, SteelSeries Siberia V2 HyperX Edition, OS - Windows 10 (prefer windows 7)

10 minutes ago, paradigm249 said:

i like how shipping costs more than teh product for me :P 

#notintheUSproblems.

I live close to them, so i can just pick it up.

If you go with btrfs / zfs inside of linux then you "should" use ECC ram. It will work fine without ECC ram but those file systems inherently trust the RAM more than the disks or raid controller (should be using a HBA anyway) and if a bit flips in the ram then you're hosed. Will this happen? Who knows, maybe never, maybe tomorrow.

What configuration are you planning to put those disks in? Mirror for both sets?

I second getting some used equipment. The C2100 or R710 / R610 or the HP G6 series are all solid choices with similar configurations. I'd search your local ebay for any of those and whichever fits the bill, go for it. 2100 gives you more bays but it's good to have options.

If you want to use what you've linked above,

I'd swap out that processor for something like an intel G3220 or whichever rendition of that is the latest. It shouldn't be too much more money but it will support ECC RAM and packs more of a wallop. 

For the RAM I'd buy a single stick of 8gb personally - you won't see much benefit from dual channel on a home NAS. If you plan to throw more at it later you'll have the available banks.

I like supermicro so thumbs up there from me.

idk if you need an aftermarket CPU cooler, but if it is a fitment issue then go for it (shouldn't be in a 2u case).

Speaking of the case, you should consider mounting the SSDs inside or thinking about buying something that can fit more drives.

With what you're buying, do you really need the 10gbE card? You won't be getting much more additional bandwidth over a gigabit given your configuration.

I would buy a used enterprise RAID card before trusting my data with that card. Alternatively I would just do a software RAID and use a HBA.

^All that considered is why most will recommend getting used servers. You get so much for your money. I have 3 used servers running 24/7, all from the 2010 era. Only 1 was a "spare" unit that supposedly was never used.

1 hour ago, Mikensan said:

-snip

10 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

-snip-

So I can just buy a $189 used perfectly working server with a great raid controller with a battery, including redundant power supplies? Fuck yeah better believe i'd rather go for it. Thanks for the recommendations. I just might need suggestions on what raid configuration to go with it, any help there? I'd like redundancy but speedy.

31 minutes ago, RangerLunis said:

So I can just buy a $189 used perfectly working server with a great raid controller with a battery, including redundant power supplies? Fuck yeah better believe i'd rather go for it. Thanks for the recommendations. I just might need suggestions on what raid configuration to go with it, any help there? I'd like redundancy but speedy.

Depends on how many drives, but notmally raid 5 or 6 is the best option

28 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Depends on how many drives, but notmally raid 5 or 6 is the best option

Thanks for all the help man :)