What switch type to buy?

Bluebeano

I was looking at buying a Gigabyte Force K83 but my friend @NinjaJc01 said that the MX Reds might not be the best switch type for me. I just want a reasonably priced keyboard that's good for gaming and has a satisfying clack to it when I type or game. Anything within £20-ish of the Gigabyte I can do really. Anyone care to weigh in on what type of switch or what keyboard to buy? Many thanks

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 3.5GHz

Motherboard: Asus Z97-P DDR3 ATX

RAM: Kingston HyperX Savage 8GB 2400MHz

GPU: Palit Geforce GTX 1060

Case: Zalman Z9+

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD, SK Hynix 256GB SSD

PSU: SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W

Well the MX Reds are linear so there is no click or clack mid travell, the only sound is when you bottom out.

MX reds aren't mechanical (they technically are) and aren't worth the price. You're better off buying a membrane keyboard if you're interested in a linear switch. Brown and Blue are the only mechanical switches worth getting. 

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

You should go to a store and try a couple types out. Some people love the heavyness of a Black, some hate the clickyness of the Blue, etc. etc.

If you give some more info on what you like and don't like (and what you play) I could maybe give a recommendation.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

We can't surely say what switch you like

since from me reading your mind you don't even know yourself..

Romer G is quite interesting as well.

Don't forget to "Quote" when replying so we can see it. 

9 hours ago, RyGuy99 said:

MX reds aren't mechanical (they technically are) and aren't worth the price. You're better off buying a membrane keyboard if you're interested in a linear switch. Brown and Blue are the only mechanical switches worth getting. 

but membrane keys dont have the linear force like reds and blacks. Im not a huge fan of the other switches or membrane keys because they are hard and then they buckle when enough  force is applied. membrane keys are anything but linear.

i suggest going to your local store and testing the switches they have there, or get a switch tester. it depends on whether you're gaming or typing.