Making and Simple Game Server

NathanSchmitz

So I have an old server motherboard (which has two CPU sockets) 4GBs of RAM and two single core Xeons (with Hyperthreading at 2.80GHz) would this be enough to run simple game server for Unturned? And also if did get the server going is it legal in the US to ask for donations in the server and link it to my website? 

It should be fine, but it will cost about 20 a month in power to run. If your paying for power, it would be cheaper to be a small aws node.

You can ask for donations just fine and link it to your site just fine. The only legal issue might be your home internet, where most won't let you host servers

1. It's "Oshkosh", I used to live there, and

2. As long as the PC doesn't draw a lot of power, you should be able to run it all the time. Donations and links to a personal server like that are fine. Even put it in the server title and you'd be ok.

only problem i see is your ISP might get mad so look up if you are allowed to host using the ISP you have now

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

52 minutes ago, NathanSchmitz said:

Also what can I do if the my ISP hates me for hosting a server?

If your ISP disallows running a server as per your user agreement with them and they are able to detect that traffic, they may choose not to provide you with service any longer.   If this was the case, you'd want to look for a different ISP or a plan with your ISP that does allow service.

depending in what you plan on doing it might not be powerful enough

if you don't mind using a old computer as your server just do it! makes it better to start off in the home server world 

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

I found a way better CPU for $9s 4 cores and higher clock speed same socket, so I can stuff two of those in :D

7 hours ago, NathanSchmitz said:

I found a way better CPU for $9s 4 cores and higher clock speed same socket, so I can stuff two of those in :D

Make sure they are supported. Socket is only half of the story. Chipset is also a limiting factor. Most boards that come equipped with single cores are usually stuck. Which board are we speaking of, and which CPUs?

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Okay so i put the new CPUs in and it didnt post or anything, any $20ish MoBos out there that can support two xeon x7350 CPUs and has some SATA ports?