Is My "Pirating" Justifiable?

Snickerzz

So I have an ipod and I've bought multiple games from the App store but I'll be getting a GS3 soon and was thinking since I've already bought the games on my iPod it would be okay for me to just sideload the apps on the GS3 without buying them again. Do you think thats okay? I haven't done it yet, was just wondering what your thoughts were on it. 

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Morals come down to you as an individual.

For example, I have none whatsoever. Nothing is beneath me.

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

I bought GTA San Andreas for xbox, so I did not feel like purchasing it for pc

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

No its not, even if you bought it on a different platform. Money was spent on development on each platform. However you can still do it if you want to.

CPU - Intel Core i5 3570K | CPU Cooler -  Cooler Master Hyper EVO 212  | GPU - NVIDIA EVGA GTX 780 | SSD - Samsung 840pro 120 GB | HDD - Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM | PSU - Corsair TX 750w | RAM - Corsair DDR3 12 GB @ 1333mhz | Case - Rosewill Mid ATX Blackhawk | Monitor - ASUS IPS 23' | Keyboard - Corsair Vengence k70 cherry MX brown | Mouse - Logitech G-400

I'd say this was fine. In the EU you'd even be covered by law(s), but in the US they're prone to kick your ass for this kind of thing xD

What laws? :ph34r: :D

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460: Intel 6200U | 8GB | 256GB SSD | Active pen

No its not, even if you bought it on a different platform. Money was spent on development on each platform. However you can still do it if you want to.

This. Dev teams have to port apps or write them for multiple platforms from the start. Thats why you dont see games just running on Linux by magic.

Totaly depends how you look at it. I also think there needs to be less crap on the forums about piracy. Its not something anyone should openly be stating they partake in. Legally.

What laws? :ph34r:  :D

In the EU there's a law which says if you own a license for a piece of software then you're entitled to a working copy of it pretty much. Basically means once you pay for a license you can make/accept as many copies of it as you want so long as you don't actually distribute copies to people who don't own it or use your multiple copies to use the software as if you had multiple licenses.

It's not totally clear though, and each case seems to be down to interpretation. Like someone else said, it costs money to port to different platforms even if it's the same software and the law doesn't really clarify how it's intended. That's how it is in the EU; most of the legislation is intended as "guidelines" xD

Fact is, you gave the developers money for a piece of software which you now want to use on a different device. Whether you think that is cool comes down to you - but living in the US means the authorities will almost certainly not be cool with it.

I would say it's okay yes, even if there is work to port it to a different platform, it's still the same product.

This. Dev teams have to port apps or write them for multiple platforms from the start. Thats why you dont see games just running on Linux by magic.

Totaly depends how you look at it. I also think there needs to be less crap on the forums about piracy. Its not something anyone should openly be stating they partake in. Legally.

I welcome 'crap' about piracy on the forums. It's a subject which needs to be discussed more, not less. It's not a clear cut issue and should be treated as such. As long as it's in "off-topic" or perhaps "general discussion" like this particular thread, I don't really mind it too much. It's not like every other thread is about piracy.

A similar debate has sprung up about tapes/vinyl and CD, those of use who bought music on vinyl and tape now want to own a digital copy.

2 Schools of thought:

1. The copywrite notice that came with both my vinyl and cassette recordings states quite clearly that I have "purchased the right to own a single copy of the material contained on this media" So if the original media has been distroyed or can no longer be used, then according to the copywrite notice On the item purchased I am legally allowed to obtain another copy, so long as I only possess one copy.

2. the copywrite act applies to the format of the media as much as it does to the content, therefore you need to purchase the rights for a different media format.

Pick your side and hope the courts are on that side too.

I personally feel that seeing as the content creators have argued long and hard that consumers are only buying the rights to own a single copy of said content, then the media or format of said content is irrelevant, they have purchased the rights to own one single working copy.  If the game disc breaks, the console becomes unusable due to server failure or obsolescence is all moot, the consumer is entitled to one working copy.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I welcome 'crap' about piracy on the forums. It's a subject which needs to be discussed more, not less. It's not a clear cut issue and should be treated as such. As long as it's in "off-topic" or perhaps "general discussion" like this particular thread, I don't really mind it too much. It's not like every other thread is about piracy.

Then there should be a Piracy Discussion thread. Not a billion individual threads.

When you buy something virtually, you're buying the license to use the software, that software may or may not be licensed to multiple platforms.

An example of this is iTunes music; you can have 5 computers with your music on (so the license for each song you buy is 5 computers) and an unlimited amount of devices [to my knowledge].

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

So I have an ipod and I've bought multiple games from the App store but I'll be getting a GS3 soon and was thinking since I've already bought the games on my iPod it would be okay for me to just sideload the apps on the GS3 without buying them again. Do you think thats okay? I haven't done it yet, was just wondering what your thoughts were on it. 

this post is to send you a notification of the replies - because you didnt follow and im not sure if you'll check this thread

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

Its alright as long as you have bought the exact thing that you are pirating. However, if you don't own the rights to it, its not right. The argument that content isn't available enough is bull, however, its too late to explain atm...

Compatible with Windows 95

I personally feel that seeing as the content creators have argued long and hard that consumers are only buying the rights to own a single copy of said content, then the media or format of said content is irrelevant, they have purchased the rights to own one single working copy.  If the game disc breaks, the console becomes unusable due to server failure or obsolescence is all moot, the consumer is entitled to one working copy.

This seems to be the position of the EU too.

Send an e-mail to the developers and ask them yourself.

Do what you want, in the end the only person who will really ever know is you. Unless you tell someone "Hey I pirated all of these games" most people won't notice. (Unless a government spying program finds out, but they arn't really interested in pirated mobile apps.) If you can live with the fact that you pirated something then go right ahead. Personally I never admit to such acts because then people can't accuse me of doing anything. And if you are worried about an agency catching you then just put a air gap between you and your connection. (i.e. connect to a open wifi network from a mile or so away with a long range antenna.)

i9 25.6 GHz with NeuronThreading, 256gb 6000 MHz RAM, GTX 990 OC 3024MHz 12gb, Skeletal X99 motherboard, 1 Petabyte SSD, Fractal Design Humaniod R1 Case, Herbivore 10,000W PSU, Noctua NF16 LP Derma Cooler.

Probably the only Star Citizen player who is planning on a career in Journalism instead of piracy, mining, trading, exploration, military, station management, etc.

Generation 0: The first time you see this add 1 to the number and copy it into your sig. Consider it a social experiment.

This seems fair, but I have a neutral stance to piracy as I am a pirate myself and I tend to pay for the software that I'm pirating.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

If Law was to be followed, their would never be need for law enforcers or consequences. It should be fine either way.

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.

Send an e-mail to the developers and ask them yourself.

This. I think most developers (small ones especially) would say yes, go ahead.