Palmer Luckey finances pro-Trump shitposting

So this is a controversial one, to say the least.

Oculus co-founder Palmer Luckey has been revealed as the mysterious money man behind the creation of a pro-Trump campaign to spread memes and shitposts.

Luckey, who is believed to have received some $700 million from Facebook's $2 billion Oculus purchase, said he had donated "significant funds" to Nimble America — a group that calls itself a "social welfare 501(c)4 non-profit dedicated to shitposting in real life."

In its announcement post on Trump-fan subreddit r/The_Donald, Nimble America said it had already "proven that shitposting is powerful and meme magic is real," and that it wanted to bring so-called "shitposting" into the real world "in a way that was transparent and had purpose.

Luckey apparently contacted the group through Facebook (where else), and promised to match community donations to the cause.

Luckey said that he first reached out to the unofficial group over Facebook. "It went along the lines of ‘hey, I have a bunch of money. I would love to see more of this stuff,'"

Luckey said the group wanted to "build buzz and do fundraising," and he offered to pay for both its initial push and its ads, as well as promising to match any money earned during a 48-hour donation drive. "I thought it sounded like a real jolly good time," he said.

/r/The_Donald redditors were not convinced of the authenticity of the plan, even when it was backed by Milo Yannopoulos.

Trump supporters were wary of the shadowy money man promising to bankroll a group that would bring their Pepe memes and Clinton attacks into the real world. Luckey had previous connections with right-wing fomenter Milo Yiannopoulos, who knew Luckey's real identity as NimbleRichMan, and vouched for his good intentions. But even with that heavyweight alt-right support, several Reddit users refused to believe the wealthy backer existed, pushed back against the plan to turn an online presence into a real-world group, or even suggested that the whole thing was a Clinton-backed ploy.

The timing of the revelation is awkward for Oculus, just 2 weeks ahead of its annual Oculus Connect conference, this year expected to be a major PR push for the Touch controller launch.

My personal opinion on this is... I barely have words to describe how crazy this is. It's one thing to back Trump, but to specifically back a meme/shitposting brigade? And the timing is absolutely awful for Oculus, right when they're about to roll out their Touch controllers and a raft of new content to go with them. This could literally be a significant blow to Oculus, heck even to VR as a whole. Just because some rich kid wearing socks and sandals (;)) gets off on more or less racist shitposting. I guess there really is a thin line between genius and insanity.

Source: The Verge

Tbh saw this one last night and thought about posting it but I wouldn't consider this newsworthy. Just another rich spoiled racist doing predictable things with his money. Nothing to see here folks, move along. And btw the vive is way better than the oculus.

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

Considering the sheer number of anti-trump shitposts Flying through my facebook feed everyday (and by shitposting I really mean shitposting on a monumental scale), It doesn't surprise me in the least to see anti-hillary shitposting being funded as well. For being near 70 years old, both Hilary and Trumps campaigns seem to follow internet protocol and behaviour to the letter.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

1 hour ago, Terodius said:

Just another rich spoiled racist doing predictable things with his money.

Of all the things you could call that, you chose 'predictable'?

Investing that money in convoluted financial schemes or developing niche spyware startups as acquisition bait for Facebook/Google/whoever would be predictable.

Throwing it at 'meme magic' is the kind of avant-garde 21st century art patronage that gives me hope that the super rich who run this world are still human.

2 hours ago, Terodius said:

Tbh saw this one last night and thought about posting it but I wouldn't consider this newsworthy. Just another rich spoiled racist doing predictable things with his money. Nothing to see here folks, move along. And btw the vive is way better than the oculus.

pls, point me towards proofs of your accusations of this guy being racist 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

there's too much blood on everyone's hand, & saying he/she started it , shit became biased even before it began

Details separate people.

Wait, I distinctly remember Milo foaming at the mouth at Zuckerberg when he had Glenn Beck on Facebook HQ as his Conservative beard so to speak.

This is a little...weird? Unless it's basically a true machiavellian revenge in which case...bravo dangerous faggot.

-------

Current Rig

-------

4 hours ago, Terodius said:

If you call someone a racist without proof pretty much everything you say afterward will not be taken seriously, as SJWs overplayed that card already.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Clinton has been pumping millions into an online troll army since the primaries.  This shit ain't new.

Why do politicians do this?  Oh right, most of the voters in the country are not well informed... a meme just might sway them.

Us vs Them politics is a terrible distraction.  I'm politically involved in my rod&gun club and for over a year, two sides have been at each others throats with stupid motions and making the meetings go late into the night.  Important club business, like spending money to bring power in, no, fuck that, let's argue about if there should be a no gossip rule.

MEME MAGIC IS REAL BOYS.

I THOUGHT THIS WAS FAKE WHEN SHABOY MILO POSTED IT ON FACEBOOK.

I LOG INTO LINUSKEKTIPS AND WHAT DO I FIND? I FIND THAT THE MEMES ARE SPILLING INTO REALITY.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

5 hours ago, Terodius said:

The Vive being the better VR solution? Oh yeah, no doubt, hands down.

Spoiled racist? You feel Palmer Lucky does deserve his wealth and that he's a racist? Gonna have to back those claims up lad.

2 hours ago, Memories4K said:

The Vive being the better VR solution? Oh yeah, no doubt, hands down.

Spoiled racist? You feel Palmer Lucky does deserve his wealth and that he's a racist? Gonna have to back those claims up lad.

Ah, mr. all caps memelord thinks the Vive is better. Well then that's settled for good.

34 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Ah, mr. all caps memelord thinks the Vive is better. Well then that's settled for good.

How dare you assume my gender.

I thought you Danish were progressive and jolly folk.

Also, yeah. Can you actually make an argument as to why the Rift would be the better buy?

Shit posting after OPs original comment is just top notch. Keep going, memelords. 

is this better than pro-Hillary shitposting?

yes. 

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

38 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Already there in eerie, gamergate-like fashion:

wonder how would they react if it was a pro-hitlery campaign 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

7 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

wonder how would they react if it was a pro-hitlery campaign 

At this point the fact that they're running an anti Trump campaign means that they're effectively running a pro Hillary campaign as well.

-------

Current Rig

-------

23 hours ago, stconquest said:

Clinton has been pumping millions into an online troll army since the primaries.  This shit ain't new.

Why do politicians do this?  Oh right, most of the voters in the country are not well informed... a meme just might sway them.

Indeed. Sadly too many people aren't aware that you can vote for someone OTHER THAN REPUBLICANS AND DEMOCRATS.

YOU CAN WRITE A NAME IN FOR FUCKS SAKE. Vote Libertarian, plotting to take over the world and stay out of your life.

I want gay married interracial couples to defend their pot plants with guns.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

On 23.9.2016 at 5:39 PM, suicidalfranco said:

pls, point me towards proofs of your accusations of this guy being racist 

Yeah its fun when people call him racist when he has been the opposite for as long as he has been rich