Apple Looks to Open First Store in Samsung’s Backyard

Apple Looks to Open First Store in Samsung’s Backyard Apple executives scouted potential sites near Samsung’s headquarters in Seoul Original article from The Wall Street Journal

SEOUL— Apple Inc. has made inquiries about opening its first retail store in South Korea, in a signal that the technology company might be looking to step up competition in the backyard of smartphone rival Samsung Group.

Apple looked at sites across the street from the group’s longtime headquarters in Seoul, according to people familiar with the matter.

The Cupertino, Calif., company, which is Samsung Electronics Co.’s biggest rival in the mobile-phone market as well as a major customer of its smartphone components, is looking at locations near the South Korean company’s own three-story global flagship store in Seoul’s upscale Gangnam neighborhood, the people said. The company has sent retail executives to South Korea in recent months to check out potential sites for the store, they said.

So I assume there will be corporate spying going on.

After the launch of the larger-screen iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in late 2014, Apple jumped to about one-quarter of the market, before its share fell below 10% in the second quarter of 2016, according to data tracker Strategy Analytics.

Opening a glitzy flagship store would send a message that Apple intends to compete hard on Samsung’s home turf.

^ Or just toughening of competition.

Good luck to them, Samsung is extremely popular in South Korea.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Apple! Like anyone there is going to buy something from there..

:ph34r:

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I mean, fightning in Europe is pretty much a win for Apple, fighting in the US is currently even at best between both (Yes the Note 7 fiasco might have changed much), but fighting Samsung in South Korea, heck even if it was LG, is definetly a bad decision xD! Only the most diehard Apple fans or people who are simply not interested in smartphones, will choose the Apple store next doors.

Groomlake Authority

4 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

I'm just so glad that we've relegated an entire fucking country to being "House Samsung"

And Brood War land.

If Apple can do the Korean language properly in OSes/products/marketing (perhaps they already have),I can still imagine the Korean people flocking over to Apple Store. There are already plenty of Apple Premium reseller shops in Seoul from what I saw during my 1 week visit to Seoul earlier this year.

Not that it isn't good for competition  (I can highly frown on the company and their product philosophy without wanting Samsung to run unchallenged).... but I have a feeling this is going to turn into the same crap shoot MS had in its pivot to Japan...

8qo94rrrysgx.jpg

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS