VGA on ASUS GTX 680 for watching movies on projector

lukeakascooter

Hello, 

I just bought a used projector to watch movies.etc (SANYO PLC-XW200)

However when I connect it via a VGA cable with a DVI adapter into the DVI-I port on my graphics card, I don't get anything displaying on the projector, but windows does recognize the projector in the NIVIDA control panel as you can see in the attached screenshot.

Not sure what I am doing wrong here... I do only have a 14 pin VGA cable, would that be the problem?, that is the only conclusion I have come too, I'm just posting here before I go buy a new cable. 

Any help would be grateful.. Thanks :D

sanyo projector.JPG

Have you tried turning on the projector and setting it to input from VGA?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Projector have to warm up before they show an image, wait a bit for the image to show up.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

The projector turns on and works with another PC I have, but not this one :(

The projector was on and set to VGA.... and PC recognized the projector. just no picture and blue screen.

Thanks for the quick reply.

VGA 15 pin cables often have only 14 active pins. Pin 9 is missing. (This missing pin is on the middle row of pins, one pin from the end.) This missing pin is a problem for flat screen TVs and projectors. Pin 9 is required by most, if not all, plasma and lcd TV's to supply back to the computer graphics card information about the available resolution of the monitor. Pin 9 carries a 5 volt signal to the DDC (display data channel). New computer monitors (LCD or CRT) do not seem to need this pin, and work fine without it -- as a result the majority of VGA cables labeled as "15 pin" really only have 14 pins, and this is never explained or noted in the packaging or product specifications! The only way to tell if a "15 pin" VGA cable actually has all 15 pins is to look at the connector and count the pins. If the middle row has only 4 pins, then the critical pin 9 is missing.

Interesting. So probably not your cable at fault here.

Ahh ok, the only thing is, is that it worked on the other PC I had no problem, however that was without a DVI adapter. (VGA to VGA)

Maybe its the adapter I am using... I am lost with what to do.

I believe I may have the wrong DVI adapter... DVI I is the one with extra 4 pins? 

Edited by lukeakascooter
solved maybe