Samsung officially announces 960 Pro and Evo

nobelharvards
3 hours ago, Notional said:

These drives looks really nice. For the Pro series to quadruple the capacity is really nice. However there are 2 caveats that ruins a lot for me:

1. The Pro drives have not gone down in price. And with 1TB and 2TB versions, the cost is through the roof. Bad Samsung, bad!
  2. Although the EVO drive looks super sweet, with lower price and better performance than the 950 Pro, there is a problem with the stated 1900MBps write speed:

So wtf is Intelligent TurboWrite region, and even more important, how big is it? 300 and 600MBps is pathetic, but 1200MBps is fine. But 1TB is still not going to be cheap. 

Generally the performance seems to be nice, but there is an issue with pricing. Damn we need some competition here. Toshiba has made a nice drive, but it's blue PCB and even more expensive (so what's the point?).

1. Well technically it's gone down slightly. The ½TB 950 Pro launched with a $350 MSRP, the ½TB 960 Pro is launching with a $330 MSRP. Yeah, it ought to have dropped more in the meantime. But maybe Samsung is using the 960 Evo as the "value" option, allowing them to make the 960 Pro an "extreme edition" halo/enthusiast/baller product (even more than 950 Pro was).

2. Turbowrite is an SLC cache. Size depends on the capacity, it's some percentage. Wait for reviews always applies, but maybe more than usual here.

Intel's tried to add some competition with the 600p, but it's too close to SATA pricing to really do much to the 960 Evo pricing, and the 960 Pro is obviously unaffected.

3 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

1. Well technically it's gone down slightly. The ½TB 950 Pro launched with a $350 MSRP, the ½TB 960 Pro is launching with a $330 MSRP. Yeah, it ought to have dropped more in the meantime. But maybe Samsung is using the 960 Evo as the "value" option, allowing them to make the 960 Pro an "extreme edition" halo/enthusiast/baller product (even more than 950 Pro was).

2. Turbowrite is an SLC cache. Size depends on the capacity, it's some percentage. Wait for reviews always applies, but maybe more than usual here.

Intel's tried to add some competition with the 600p, but it's too close to SATA pricing to really do much to the 960 Evo pricing, and the 960 Pro is obviously unaffected.

1. Ok, but that is a price decrease that has already happened on the 950 Pro just being on the market over time. So it's more of a speed increase at same price. But yeah the EVO is definitely a value option.
  2. Ugh.. then again, read speed is still the most important for most consumers.
  3. Yeah they are not quite fast enough. nd with green PCB, they are pretty much disqualified for most pc enthusiasts.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

That 2TB 960 Pro, will be mine shortly. $1300 is damn cheap for that, given how much the Intel 750 was at launch for a 1.2tb.  

5 minutes ago, SurvivorNVL said:

That 2TB 960 Pro, will be mine shortly. $1300 is damn cheap for that, given how much the Intel 750 was at launch for a 1.2tb.  

And people say VR headsets are too expensive...

35 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

SLC cache sizes for the 960 Evo:

250GB - 13GB cache

500GB - 22GB cache

1TB - 42GB cache

22GB should be more than enough for most things. You will rarely write more than 22GB in one go (and for those things you will probably get bottlenecked somewhere else, like your Internet speed).

That 512GB 950 Pro sounds very nice.

13 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

SLC cache sizes for the 960 Evo:

250GB - 13GB cache

500GB - 22GB cache

1TB - 42GB cache

22GB should be more than enough for most things. You will rarely write more than 22GB in one go (and for those things you will probably get bottlenecked somewhere else, like your Internet speed).

That 512GB 950 Pro sounds very nice.

So the assumption here is that the drive will then rewrite that data to other parts of the drive at a later time redundantly? Kinda like an SHDD? Or will it more the region? 

You mean 960 Pro?

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Wait a minute

2TB Pro but no 2TB Evo, despite the latter has higher NAND density? WTF, Samsung?

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

16 hours ago, zMeul said:

meh .. I would not buy ultra cheap SSDs, I "burned" myself buying a A-Data SP550 - ended up RMAing 3 in row due to cell voltage drift and paying for  850EVO

I bought a 50 dollar SSD(Patriot Blast 240GB), just randomly failed...just went screw it and picked up a 850 EVO 250GB on sale for 75 bucks. At that price it's cheap/around Sandisk Ultra 2...

And I literally just bought a new laptop today and payed extra to get it with a 850 EVO, well that just put a damper on my mood.

9 hours ago, Notional said:

So the assumption here is that the drive will then rewrite that data to other parts of the drive at a later time redundantly? Kinda like an SHDD? Or will it more the region? 

You mean 960 Pro?

Yes to both. 

Someone really needs to give companies a slap about naming their products the same thing. 970 motherboard and GPU, 1080 GPU and res, 960 SSD and GPU, etc. 

- snip-

On 9/21/2016 at 1:53 PM, djdwosk97 said:

Okay, but do they explode? 

Get out.

Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

1 minute ago, IAEInferno said:

Get out.

I'm already half way across the country. I don't want to be anywhere near this shit when it goes 

Image result for nuclear bomb gif

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

I'm already half way across the state. I don't want to be anywhere near this shit when it goes 

Reveal hidden contents

You're on fire.

Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

There is one minutia that is confusing me. Normally the EVO series has double the maximum capacity versus the PRO, which means that you can purchase the highest-capacity PRO and highest-capacity EVO for roughly the same price.

And now it has been flipped with the PRO being double of EVO, resulting in the highest-capacity PRO being four times as expensive as the highest-capacity EVO. Maybe I am missing something blatantly obvious, but isn't the EVO using TLC and the PRO using MLC?

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

1 hour ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

There is one minutia that is confusing me. Normally the EVO series has double the maximum capacity versus the PRO, which means that you can purchase the highest-capacity PRO and highest-capacity EVO for roughly the same price.

And now it has been flipped with the PRO being double of EVO, resulting in the highest-capacity PRO being four times as expensive as the highest-capacity EVO. Maybe I am missing something blatantly obvious, but isn't the EVO using TLC and the PRO using MLC?

It's probably just a business decision -- someone who was going to buy a 1TB Evo would probably buy a 1TB Pro if the option was available. So they may as well sell the Pro variant in larger capacities and make more money (and not sell the Evo in larger capacities to not undermine Pro sales).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

6 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

I'm already half way across the country. I don't want to be anywhere near this shit when it goes 

Hide contents

Damn, are people still using Fermi cards?

1 hour ago, Notional said:

Damn, are people still using Fermi cards?

People have bought them new thinking that they got a steal of a deal on some Polaris cards, so there is that to consider.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.