Interplay to sell all gaming IP including Earthworm Jim, Descent, MDK

Delicieuxz

Interplay to sell all gaming IP including Earthworm Jim, Descent, MDK

The video game developer and publisher Interplay Entertainment should trigger some great gaming memories for the older gamers out there. Founded in 1983, this is the company that brought us such classics as the Descent series, MDK, Earthworm Jim, Freespace, Messiah, Clay Fighter, Battle Chess, and the list goes on. 

That was in the past, though, and more recently Interplay has hit on hard times. The last time we really heard anything from them was after the sale of the Fallout IP to Bethesda when they were determined to still make a Fallout MMO. There’s also the more recent licensing of Descent allowing for the creation of the Kickstarter project Descent: Underground. 

The IP being offered includes: 

Battle Chess
Boogerman
Clay Fighter
Dark Alliance
Descent
Earthworm Jim
Freespace
Kingpin
M.A.X.
Messiah
MDK
Redneck Rampage
Run Like Hell
Sacrifice
T-Rex Rumble
Giants 

Throughout the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s, Interplay has been developer and publisher for many great IPs, including Fallout, Bard's Tale, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, those listed above, and many others.  One of my personal favourite Interplay-published games is Cyberia. The company was originally co-founded by Brian Fargo, who is now CEO of InXile. Fargo resigned from the company in 2000, due to management disagreements with the company's then majority shareholder.

Since none of these fantastic IPs have been utilized by Interplay for many years, selling them off to companies who hopefully will make use of them sounds good, to me. I really hope for a new MDK, Freespace, and Earthworm Jim.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Earthworm Jim was the shit back when I was young.

God I loved that game, no matter how terrible I was/am at it.

Image result for earthworm jim meme

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Interplay was a huge name in PC gaming for me. I think they carried Wizardry as well in the later years if I am not mistaken.

15 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

To this day, I find its on-disc DRM quite a lot stronger than current stuff. I can't copy it off the CD to any computer. No matter what I do. I can't even make a working iso image.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

3 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I loved the second one, it was so random xD

Descent? Is anything going to happen to the new Descent game in development?

The one Wingman from Star Citizen left to work on

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Im surprised this is coming out on here now. This news is over a week old and i know someone already trying to get some assests. 

It seems that they are not selling off their games or code, just the licenese to use their names on products. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

If this leads to the creation of a new Descent game, I support the decision of selling the IPs.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

8 hours ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

Descent? Is anything going to happen to the new Descent game in development?

The one Wingman from Star Citizen left to work on

That shouldn't be an issue at all. Interplay has already granted them a license to create their game. I doubt the new owners (Whoever ends up buying them) can easily retroactively cancel that license agreement.

What I'm most looking forward to, is Freespace 3! Man Freespace 1 and 2 are some of the best space sims ever created (yes I know, not true Newtonian physics, a bit more arcadey), and they also have some of the best single player stories/campaigns of all time as well.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

14 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I've been playing the first game on my shield recently, it's not just you these games are hard AF.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

8 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

That shouldn't be an issue at all. Interplay has already granted them a license to create their game. I doubt the new owners (Whoever ends up buying them) can easily retroactively cancel that license agreement.

A software license is a legal property of the license-holder, which is subject to all laws, and the reasonable person test. And so, license-terms cannot be unilaterally changed by either side of the license agreement, and any sale would preserve the identity of licenses already sold.

8 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

What I'm most looking forward to, is Freespace 3! Man Freespace 1 and 2 are some of the best space sims ever created (yes I know, not true Newtonian physics, a bit more arcadey), and they also have some of the best single player stories/campaigns of all time as well.

Me too.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

2 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I've been playing the first game on my shield recently, it's not just you these games are hard AF.

I find the second one even more difficult than the first one. Ugh, those puppy love levels.

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I liked the Freespaces too, though I always preferred X2 and X3 :P

Something about them appeals a little more to me, though I don't know what. Shame that the newest X was a trainwreck. I hope Freespace gets a proper game next time around.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Interplay made the best star trek games.  It was a kick in the balls when secret of vulcan fury was canceled.

I hope a developer picks up Clay Fighter and makes a new one.  The nostalgia is so real right now! 

i only know about the sayings of earthworm jim but whoever picks that one, should make something good out of it.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I could stand to see a handful of interplay titles recompiled into cheap mobile games, could see that panning out well by cashing in on impulse and sentiment.  I do not see a great deal of value in the names of these games themselves anymore.  It's been ages, decades of a whole lot of nothing; more than enough time to move on and lose any itch to expand on the story/gameplay from any user born in the 80s & 90s.

These should have been sold 15+ years ago if they weren't going to do anything with them, but that's just my immediate opinion after pensively scratching my neckbeard for several entire seconds and realizing that I no longer care about these games.

M.D.K. !

Oh god the nostalgia.... What i'd give for a fully 2016 ultra settings remake of that game ^_^

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

<3 Interplay, I still have this CD from my childhood:

20160920_190055.jpg

EDIT: Is this image upside-down for everybody else or just me?

-KuJoe

14 hours ago, KuJoe said:

<3 Interplay, I still have this CD from my childhood:

20160920_190055.jpg

EDIT: Is this image upside-down for everybody else or just me?

It's upside down lol

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

18 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

It's upside down lol

Not sure why the forum flipped it, if you click on the image and click "Full Size" is it upside-down still?

-KuJoe