Anyone here own a NZXT S340 or Phanteks P400S?

Clunker

I'm looking for some feedback from people who actually own these cases. I've seen the reviews but I want to hear from people who actually bought and use these things on a daily basis. 

I really want to know just how easily these things scratch. Like one Amazon reviewer said he used a microfiber cloth on the S340 window and now it looks like someone took a chainsaw to it. The HardwareCanuck guy was just scratching it with his fingernail. I know there's an updated S340 version that comes with a better PSU filter. Did they improve the durability on that version too? 

I've also read that the P400 is a scratch and fingerprint magnet too. So I'd love to hear some feedback there. 

4 minutes ago, Clunker said:

I'm looking for some feedback from people who actually own these cases. I've seen the reviews but I want to hear from people who actually bought and use these things on a daily basis. 

I really want to know just how easily these things scratch. Like one Amazon reviewer said he used a microfiber cloth on the S340 window and now it looks like someone took a chainsaw to it. The HardwareCanuck guy was just scratching it with his fingernail. I know there's an updated S340 version that comes with a better PSU filter. Did they improve the durability on that version too? 

I've also read that the P400 is a scratch and fingerprint magnet too. So I'd love to hear some feedback there. 

Most acrylic windows are very bad for scratching. What you really want is tempered glass if you don't want bad scratches.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

5 minutes ago, Clunker said:

Have a friend who I have built his system in an S340 and it's a scratch magnet. His is the original version. Haven't touched the new version.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

That's ridiculous. I don't understand why these cases are rated so high is you can't even breath on them without leaving scratches. Is the S340 really that bad? I wonder if the P400 is any better.  

Hello!

Yes there was an update to the S340 which added a couple of things better for the user but the window is basically the same as the previous S340. What I would recommend is that if it gets dusty, use a can of compressed air which usually gets the work done. I know some people get these if they really want a better window http://mnpctech.com/nzxt-h440-s340-razer-replacement-custom-window-smoked-clear-red-uv-green-blue/clear-replacement-cnc-machined-window-for-nzxt-h440-cases-clone.html

If there are any other questions, you can always PM me.

39 minutes ago, NZXT_Harry said:

Hello!

Yes there was an update to the S340 which added a couple of things better for the user but the window is basically the same as the previous S340. What I would recommend is that if it gets dusty, use a can of compressed air which usually gets the work done. I know some people get these if they really want a better window http://mnpctech.com/nzxt-h440-s340-razer-replacement-custom-window-smoked-clear-red-uv-green-blue/clear-replacement-cnc-machined-window-for-nzxt-h440-cases-clone.html

If there are any other questions, you can always PM me.

"Availability: Out of stock"

I appreciate the response but I'm not sure it makes sense to spend $40 on a replacement window when I can just put that toward a more durable case. I believe that the S340 is a terrific looking case. It's just such a clean looking design. But if it's not durable then what's the point?

Its not scratches that are very visible, it usually is more of like micro scratches that you can see if you look at it on an angle. Think of a piano! pianos usually have millions of tiny scratches when you look at them from an angle in bright lighting.

But yes, you'll want tempered glass if you don't want scratches. If you are handy many cases can easily be modded to support a tempered glass window.

i have an s340 matte black/ blue, i love the case. Although it is a fingerprint magnet but that is what happens with matte black. I have no problems with the scratches on my window but i take really really really good care of my PC. but inwin has a case that is really nice with a huge tempered glass window for like $80 you could give that a look.

I started (and have almost completed) a build in an S340 because I loved the look of the case, but only became aware of the issues around scratches afterwards, pretty annoyed.

Not sure I'd have picked another case anyway, I wanted a white one with a big window and there were limited options, but still.

Build Log : Red N White Army

System Specs

NZXT S340

i7 4790k

Z97 MSI Gaming 5

Palit 980 Ti Super Jetstream

16GB HyperX Savage 1866 RAM

Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD

EVGA 750W G2 PSU

Custom Cooling Loop

I have a P400 and while it's resistant to a microfiber cloth, it has accumulated some scratches since I've owned it. The biggest scratch was from my brother throwing something at me, some plastic toy that left it's mark in the panel lol.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.