Is Overclocking Worth it?

FRN
2 minutes ago, FRN said:

It Christmas time and usually, that is when the Christmas bonus comes so I have a little head room for a flashy motherboard since I already have the other stuff figured out.

Although I'm still considering to grab a 6500+GTX 1070 instead of a 6600k+RX 480.

6500+GTX 1070 is a lot more worth it.

You are literaly getting 50% more performance in GPU that will give you extra 20-30FPS depending on game compared to 5-10% CPU performance that will give you 2-3FPS in game if you go with 6600k+RX480.

Not to mention that GTX 1070 can be overclocked even more further to squeeze a lot more performance from it.

If you have the cooling power and understanding, sure! If you don't, then expect a CPU lasting you not a very long time at all...

It also depends on the applications you use everyday and the power of your CPU, if you're gaming on a hex core CPU or something, then there won't be much difference. But if you're doing CPU intensive programs like Davincii Resolve, then yes. 

PC Specs: 

CPU: Intel i7 5820K  GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3070 (FE)  Motherboard: ASRock x99 Extreme4  PSU: Bequiet! Powerzone 650W  RAM:  32Gb DDR4 Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (white) 2400mhz  CPU Cooler: Bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 3  Storage: 1x Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD, 1x WD Blue 2tb HDD 5400rpm, 1x Toshiba 500gb HDD  Case: NZXT H440 (matte black w/ case fans)  Case Fan (Top Mounted): Notcua AF-14 144mm  LED Lights: TOP LED 2x30 Strips

Peripherals:

Speakers: M-AUDIO AV-42 (pair)  Headphones: AudioTechnica ATH-M20X,  Keyboard: AULA 859  Mouse: Tecknet  Microphone: RODE NT1-A  Audio Interface: ZOOM R8  

Camera Specs:

Cameras: BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, Canon 4000, Olympus OM-1, Zorki 4  Lenses: Olympus OM-1 Zuiko Macro, Regular and Telephoto, EFS 18mm-55mm, MFT 12mm, 25mm and 35mm, 50mm Jupiter 8, 50mm EFS

Software:

Editing: BlackMagic Davinci Resolve, Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe After Effects, Sony Vegas Pro, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom, Cubase LE AI Elements 6, Adobe Elements

Phone: Pixel 4