How cheap would SSDs have to get before you'd consider completely ditching HHDs?

iTonyy

Just curious what you guys think of the current $/Gb pricing and how low it'd have to get before you'd make a complete switch.

Of course, we'd all prefer for it to equal to HHDs, but that won't be happening anytime soon.

For a mid-range SSD, I'd make the switch if it was $1/5Gb. So, a 1TB would only be $200.

3770k, Asrock Extreme 4, 16GB Dominator Plat, AX760i, 250GB BX100, 1.5TB Seagate, Win 7 Home Prem 

I'm waiting for 1tb to be around 150 or samsung 1tb to be around 170-80

should be soon...

and this is just for mass storage. 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

i'd wait until they're the same price as a hdd

bregsit

Spoiler

PC specs: i7 4770s, Zotac GTX 1070 Mini, 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz (2x8GB, cheap Crucial RAM), Crucial BX500 480GB , 2x WD Blue 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Windows 7

Laptop Specs: i5 5350U, Intel HD something, 8GB (probably DDR3 idk), 128GB Samsung(?) SSD, MacOS whatever the newest one is

I've seen some 960GB SSDs go for $165 during the Amazon Prime Day sale... if that was the norm, I'd go full SSD for all my builds.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

I don't entirely trust SSDs, so probably until I could afford two 1TB SSDs to set them up in RAID 1.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Depends on situation and requirements. Have already been builds I did for others that only have SSD.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

I'll go full SSD, when I can get 1TB for the same price as a 500GB SSD is at the minute, so about £130. WHen they hit that price then I'll go straight over and won't look back. Basically when all the drives drop a price bracket then I will finally commit, but until then I'll stick with an SSD and HDD setup.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I'll never fully switch to SSDs necessarily in a situation like a NAS simply because of the high writes the system might encounter. I've written about 30TB of data to my SSD, but that's besides the point. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I already have. (kinda)

2x 512GB Samsung 950 pro

1 SanDisk Ultra II 960

1 2TB Samsung 2.5" hrs (BACKUP ONLY)