ECC Memory - Downsides?

Go to solution Solved by SnowyMus,

Outside of the fact that they're ugly green PCBs, and you can't overclock them as well, not really. As long as you have a processor that supports it, you're good to go.

Just wondering, are there any downsides to using ECC memory? Like, besides price if it would be more expensive. 

64GB's of DDR3 ECC RAM cost me only $80 USD, HUGE UPSIDE. The only real downside to ECC is that it's often more expensive for the same speeds as regular DDR3/4 but RAM speed doesn't really matter.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Outside of the fact that they're ugly green PCBs, and you can't overclock them as well, not really. As long as you have a processor that supports it, you're good to go.

3 hours ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

64GB's of DDR3 ECC RAM cost me only $80 USD, HUGE UPSIDE. The only real downside to ECC is that it's often more expensive for the same speeds as regular DDR3/4 but RAM speed doesn't really matter.

I've already stated that the one downside that I know of would be price, why would you need to mention it again? 

Well it looks worse, runs slower, requires both a motherboard and CPU that support it, and gives 0 improvement over regular ram unless it's for a datacenter or some special server that needs 100% uptime or whatever.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 hours ago, Enderman said:

Well it looks worse, runs slower, requires both a motherboard and CPU that support it, and gives 0 improvement over regular ram unless it's for a datacenter or some special server that needs 100% uptime or whatever.

Hmmmmm.... it seems to be pointing in more of the direction of it being more of a server side of hardware...... but I feel like it could be used in testing... but would that be workstation or dedicated testing server?...

I feel like that might be debatable. Not sure. Interesting question though. 

3 minutes ago, IAmLamp said:

Hmmmmm.... it seems to be pointing in more of the direction of it being more of a server side of hardware...... but I feel like it could be used in testing... but would that be workstation or dedicated server testing?...

I feel like that might be debatable. Not sure. Interesting question though. 

What are you doing with the server?

The only reason to use ECC is if you need absolute perfect data with 0 mistakes (eg medical applications) or years/decades of 100% server uptime.

I don't know what kind of "testing" you might need ECC ram for...maybe how many years you can keep your PC on without restarting? haha :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

What are you doing with the server?

The only reason to use ECC is if you need absolute perfect data with 0 mistakes (eg medical applications) or years/decades of 100% server uptime.

I don't know what kind of "testing" you might need ECC ram for...maybe how many years you can keep your PC on without restarting? haha :)

RAID setups where bits must be written constantly. Any bit that is incorrect will be fixed by ECC and non-ECC. The difference is the tolerances that they allow with ECC being vastly superior. Engineering diagrams and testing benefit from ECC. Whenever calculations require pinpoint accuracy ECC and floating point precision are key. Gaming could benefit from ECC if we're talking Minesweeper.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

RAID setups where bits must be written constantly. Any bit that is incorrect will be fixed by ECC and non-ECC. The difference is the tolerances that they allow with ECC being vastly superior. Engineering diagrams and testing benefit from ECC. Whenever calculations require pinpoint accuracy ECC and floating point precision are key. Gaming could benefit from ECC if we're talking Minesweeper.

minesweeper lmaooooo

Just now, IAmLamp said:

minesweeper lmaooooo

There's no downside to ECC if you need it for a NAS or RAID setup. The downside is that you need a compatible motherboard and CPU (Penitum/Xeon and I just found out through a user that i3's support as well) to fully use the RAM. If you're only gaming, go with nice RAM at 1866/10 or 3200/15 as bandwidth and latency will do more for you.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers