Would you use this app?

Remixt

Would you use this app?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think you would use this app?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

I'm in a software engineering course this semester and My team and I have decided to make an app that we feel could be useful for those indecisive people who can't pick a place to eat.

What we are developing is something that will show you specific food items available within a certain radius. It's important to note that it will show you menu items, not restaurant names or locations. 

You can either send it back (swipe up) if you don't think it looks good, or you can grab it (swipe down). If you swipe up its like swiping left on tinder, and you don't see that again (unless you change that in your preferences.)

When you swipe down an image of the restaurant that food item is located at, and a ton of other information is given to you. There will also be buttons to favorite it, order online, ect...

Here is a mock up (Alpha stage) of what we are making.

If you have any suggestions or comments please feel free to post them. I'm very interested in what people think about this.

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

Share button? Looks cool

Just now, madknight3 said:

Personally, I would want descriptions of the meal to go along with the image.

That's a really good point. Thanks for your input!

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

Just now, madknight3 said:

Personally, I would want descriptions of the meal to go along with the image.

A detailed description will give away everything. Example you see a good dish there and you are a vegan and you read that it has meat in it so you instantly reject it

1 minute ago, dexxterlab97 said:

A detailed description will give away everything. Example you see a good dish there and you are a vegan and you read that it has meat in it so you instantly reject it

We plan on having settings for Vegitarian/Vegan only meals. So you won't see anything that's outside the realm of your diet.

I would check it out. Might work with the Mrs

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Corsair 200R Front Bezel Mod

Just now, Remixt said:

We plan on having settings for Vegitarian/Vegan only meals. So you won't see anything that's outside the realm of your diet.

Something like a check boxes like Beef only, chicken only... 

Do you plan on adding drinks and too?

Just now, dexxterlab97 said:

Something like a check boxes like Beef only, chicken only... 

Do you plan on adding drinks and too?

As of now we don't plan on doing drinks. Most places offer the same kind of stuff. We did discuss a checkbox for only places that serve alcohol though.

Just now, Remixt said:

As of now we don't plan on doing drinks. Most places offer the same kind of stuff. We did discuss a checkbox for only places that serve alcohol though.

It would be a cool app. Where exactly? USA only for now? If the app gets famous would love it to bring it over Canada

1 minute ago, Remixt said:

What platform will this be on? 

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Corsair 200R Front Bezel Mod

Would I use it? No.

Does it sound interesting to me? Yes, very much.

I think this will make for a very cool project at the very least and a cool concept in general.

Maybe you can embed reviews of the restaurant to the description too, would be even cooler if you could look for specific tags for the dinner (e.g. I swiped down on some chicken dish and the first shown embedded reviews are ones that mention 'chicken')

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

It would be a cool app. Where exactly? USA only for now? If the app gets famous would love it to bring it over Canada

Theoretically it should work anywhere in the world. For now its only going to be released on my school campus (in Texas). If it works well by the end of the semester none of us are against trying to publish it. We don't have any experience in that though, and we are just students so I don't want to get too far ahead of myself.

Just now, Remixt said:

Theoretically it should work anywhere in the world. For now its only going to be released on my school campus (in Texas). If it works well by the end of the semester none of us are against trying to publish it. We don't have any experience in that though, and we are just students so I don't want to get too far ahead of myself.

So how does i technically work? Do people upload pics of the dish to the app and tag a location and consumers just see it?

So how does i technically work? Do people upload pics of the dish to the app and tag a location and consumers just see it?

We are going to use the Yelp API to search for restaurants on the back-end. Then go through the menu items of those restaurants and store that information (like an image url calories contents ect...) in a google fire-base database. Our app will pull information from our database based on the filters you have selected and then display that information in the app gui. 

5 minutes ago, deansmylie1993 said:

What platform will this be on? 

Android. We will port to IOS if it's successful. 

1 minute ago, Remixt said:

We are going to use the Yelp API to search for restaurants on the back-end. Then go through the menu items of those restaurants and store that information (like an image url calories contents ect...) in a google fire-base database. Our app will pull information from our database based on the filters you have selected and then display that information in the app gui. 

Will it be free?

1 minute ago, dexxterlab97 said:

Will it be free?

Yes I hate paid apps. As of now we don't have any plans to monetize the app in any wa. If people really like it and start using it we may try to implement some form of un-intrusive ads or let restaurants pay to have their food show up first when people are swiping.

So this is exactly like Tinder but for restaurants, cool!

Don't know if I'd use it as I don't eat out much but I do think it's a really cool idea, would it be possible for you guys to use additional APIs in the future? I could certainly see some restaurants being left out because they don't use Yelp (or aren't on it, not 100% sure how that works).

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

Just now, PocketNerd said:

So this is exactly like Tinder but for restaurants, cool!

Don't know if I'd use it as I don't eat out much but I do think it's a really cool idea, would it be possible for you guys to use additional APIs in the future? I could certainly see some restaurants being left out because they don't use Yelp (or aren't on it, not 100% sure how that works).

The scope of our app isn't very big at the moment. We aren't committed to using yelp specifically for any reason other than the fact that it's very easy to use and implement. So in the future we would be willing to use any api, specifically one that gives us the most accurate and usable data.

The fork and the knife aren't aesthetically pleasing, and I would much rather have "Not Now" and "Special Occasion" boxes instead.

It seems rather unlikely, at least where I live that it would get "viral" enough for restaurants to actually use it, and giving regular users permission to put it there themselves is just a straight up bad idea.

I would definitely use it if it just worked, cuz it is a great idea, but making something that size happen seems rather unlikely.

9 hours ago, Remixt said:

I'm in a software engineering course this semester and My team and I have decided to make an app that we feel could be useful for those indecisive people who can't pick a place to eat.

What we are developing is something that will show you specific food items available within a certain radius. It's important to note that it will show you menu items, not restaurant names or locations. 

You can either send it back (swipe up) if you don't think it looks good, or you can grab it (swipe down). If you swipe up its like swiping left on tinder, and you don't see that again (unless you change that in your preferences.)

When you swipe down an image of the restaurant that food item is located at, and a ton of other information is given to you. There will also be buttons to favorite it, order online, ect...

Here is a mock up (Alpha stage) of what we are making.

If you have any suggestions or comments please feel free to post them. I'm very interested in what people think about this.

I like it. I don't have an iPhone so I can't try it and won't ever use it. :(.

If you consider making it for other platforms then please let me know.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

8 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I like it. I don't have an iPhone so I can't try it and won't ever use it. :(.

If you consider making it for other platforms then please let me know.

what tech is saying is he needs a port to windows phone.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 hour ago, vorticalbox said:

what tech is saying is he needs a port to windows phone.

I thought it was  a little more obvious xD. And I meant UWP. Not generic Windows Phone app.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

8 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I thought it was  a little more obvious xD. And I meant UWP. Not generic Windows Phone app.

No plans to bring it to windows devices at the moment, even IOS is a longshot until we see how it does on Android. I'll be sure to keep you updated though.