iOS 10 performance and battery life on A6 devices, pleasant surprise?

Castdeath97

Arstechinica have been repeatedly testing older phones performance in newer iOS versions since the iOS 6 update included the 3GS. While on iOS 6 the performance of oldest device wasn't impacted much if not improved in some areas, newer versions (particularly 7) hadn't been too friendly with oldest devices.

I’ve been tracking the performance of new iOS versions on the slowest supported hardware for four years now, and I don’t think my findings have been positive since I wrote about iOS 6 on the iPhone 3GS. iOS 7 was a bad fit for the iPhone 4, and iOS 7.1 was only an improvement in a relative sense. iOS 8 and iOS 9 were tolerable on the iPhone 4S, but they were still significant slowdowns compared to iOS 6 and 7.

Looking at the tests arstechinca carried, the impacts on performance and battery life seem less compared to what the iPhone 4 and 4S had to suffer.

Battery tests:

bOLl0vV.png

Launch times and boot times

p5D3ib4.png

Overall performance GUI seemed great as well

Most basic day-to-day things still feel pretty good on the iPhone 5. Bringing up the Intelligence screen, the Notification Center, the Control Center, or the multitasking switcher all happens smoothly without the inconsistency or dropped frames that plague an iPhone 4S running iOS 9. You’ll mostly run into problems in three areas: games, multitasking, and battery life.

I really hope this becomes the norm over the next iOS versions, it's nice to see that the iPhone 5 still has some life in it. But, of course don't expect everything to be perfect, just like the article said the phone is still not capable of handling the newest games, is not a stellar multitasker and the battery had likely gotten weaker over time, it is after all a phone from 2012.

source:http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/09/good-news-ios-10-runs-pretty-well-on-the-iphone-5-and-5c/

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Well i guess this is a pleasant surprise for people using older Iphones for sure. Always nice to see something so old getting software updates. What sometimes boggles my mind is that Apple had 64GB capacity on phones in 2011, impressive xD!

Groomlake Authority

So for the first time in 4 generations a iOS update doesn't effectively brick the phone? That's nice to see.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I usually follow a general rule, As long as apple still sells the device updates shouldn't make the device drastically slower. The only reason I think they don't make devices as slow intentionally anymore is ever since that lawsuit they had for making someones 4s essentially a nice looking glass sandwich paper weight, However I don't plan to upgrade my iPad Air 2 after iOS 10 due to the fact that the new iPads are out and a newer pro model will be coming early next year, When that happens I suspect apple will no longer sell the Air 2. In fact my Macbook pro still runs Yosemite because anything above makes my laptop unusable. Its nice they are trying to not brick any older devices but I still don't fully trust them.

4 hours ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Well i guess this is a pleasant surprise for people using older Iphones for sure. Always nice to see something so old getting software updates. What sometimes boggles my mind is that Apple had 64GB capacity on phones in 2011, impressive xD!

It's a shame that you have to be tied down to the Apple ecosystem for the phone to be functional with new apps due to their support cycles and the fact that most iOS devices receive updates promptly.

Linus' earrings suit him

Please check out this thread: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/659360-saints-row-2s-features/

Rizen and Vehga 2017

19 minutes ago, divided_throwaway said:

-snip-

How is that a bad thing? Your using an IOS device, would you rather never have it updated? Also better to ask than to threaten you like Microsoft did. 5 years of updates is better than 1 year of updates then you stay adrift.

e962cc1089db35833ed1abe50ccf1c91.jpg

Groomlake Authority

1 minute ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

How is that a bad thing? Your using an IOS device, would you rather never have it updated? Also better to ask than to threaten you like Microsoft did. 5 years of updates is better than 1 year of updates then you stay adrift.

e962cc1089db35833ed1abe50ccf1c91.jpg

Updates take up hard drive space unnecessarily, even though they give support for additional functionality.

Linus' earrings suit him

Please check out this thread: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/659360-saints-row-2s-features/

Rizen and Vehga 2017

You're never tied to a ecosystem, I have a android phone, iPad, Gaming pc and a macbook I don't feel tied down to any of them in any way hell I could just as easily use Steam os or Ubuntu for my PC, macbook and phone it makes no major difference to me. Also updates don't take up space in any meaningful way most of the time old files are flushed after several reboots of the device... 

50 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Actually yes. I would rather have it never updated over the device being rendered completely useless by a future OS update that you have to use anyways because your apps will no longer work on your current OS because that makes total sense.

Provided that doesn't happen (as it seems not to have happened with iOS10 for the first time in 5 generations of iOS) then sure there is no reason not to want an update.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

2 hours ago, Thomas_Bam said:

I usually follow a general rule, As long as apple still sells the device updates shouldn't make the device drastically slower. The only reason I think they don't make devices as slow intentionally anymore is ever since that lawsuit they had for making someones 4s essentially a nice looking glass sandwich paper weight, However I don't plan to upgrade my iPad Air 2 after iOS 10 due to the fact that the new iPads are out and a newer pro model will be coming early next year, When that happens I suspect apple will no longer sell the Air 2. In fact my Macbook pro still runs Yosemite because anything above makes my laptop unusable. Its nice they are trying to not brick any older devices but I still don't fully trust them.

That's why you check websites like arstechinca for tests like these, I do this every year.

By the way El Capitan performance is fine, it wasn't a major update. 

Pascal laptops guide

57 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Actually yes. I would rather have it never updated over the device being rendered completely useless by a future OS update that you have to use anyways because your apps will no longer work on your current OS because that makes total sense.

Provided that doesn't happen (as it seems not to have happened with iOS10 for the first time in 5 generations of iOS) then sure there is no reason not to want an update.

2 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

So for the first time in 4 generations a iOS update doesn't effectively brick the phone? That's nice to see.

Even if you don't carry software updates, app updates are going to slow your applications. YouTube post update became horribly sluggish and Twitter was the same. It's hard to get away from these issues with a four old year phone.

I mean look at the S3, poor thing didn't even get kitkat.

iOS 9 wasn't a major slowdown by the way, it's just that it did support the iPhone 4S which already suffered a slowdown from 8. I would say there were only two clurprits, 7 and 8, which conicendently were both major for iOS.

Pascal laptops guide

2 hours ago, divided_throwaway said:

It's a shame that you have to be tied down to the Apple ecosystem for the phone to be functional with new apps due to their support cycles and the fact that most iOS devices receive updates promptly.

Both are major irritating things about using iOS. But, the state of software support android devices get with the exception of the Nexus line made me switch to iOS 2 years ago. I may switch back, but only if I see a good return for the nexus (or pixel of the rumours to be believed) line. (My iPhone 6 Plus is still holding, so I don't see a reason to upgarde).

Pascal laptops guide

iOS 10 has been a mixed bag so far for me.  Performance-wise it's even better than iOS 9 in most cases, but some of the new UI choices baffle me, especially on a Plus.  The funny thing is that they actually made good choices for the new tablet UI, but decided they weren't going to bother making a middle ground for Plus devices where the extra screen real-estate can offer a lot of extra information.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

30 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Even if you don't carry software updates, app updates are going to slow your applications. YouTube post update became horribly sluggish and Twitter was the same. It's hard to get away from these issues with a four old year phone.

I mean look at the S3, poor thing didn't even get kitkat.

iOS 9 wasn't a major slowdown by the way, it's just that it did support the iPhone 4S which already suffered a slowdown from 8. I would say there were only two clurprits, 7 and 8, which conicendently were both major for iOS.

On Android phones most apps still function properly if you just don't update it. I have a Nook Tablet OG and it works as good as it did day one (not that is was ever amazing), and because it never got updates it never slowed down.

Obviously knowing when to update and when not is a harder thing.

iOS 6 also hit the 3GS really hard. So iOS 6-9 were all regressions (even if 9 wasn't as big of a deal). Hence first time in 4 generations it's an improvement (or even a not-make things worse).

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

35 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

On Android phones most apps still function properly if you just don't update it. I have a Nook Tablet OG and it works as good as it did day one (not that is was ever amazing), and because it never got updates it never slowed down.

iOS 6 also hit the 3GS really hard. So iOS 6-9 were all regressions (even if 9 wasn't as big of a deal). Hence first time in 4 generations it's an improvement (or even a not-make things worse).

Well Ars did test it and it didn't get hit:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/09/tempting-fate-installing-ios-6-on-the-iphone-3gs/

Even if the performance doesn't get affected, it's a shame to be left off and to lose out on all the new features of the next version, even if your phone didn't pass 2 years.

Pascal laptops guide

2 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

El Capitan performance is fine, it wasn't a major update. 

Tell that to my macbook when I had it it froze for a good 5 seconds when I right clicked and when I used macOS Sierra it froze for 10 - 20 seconds just moving files grated thats a beta but I think ill stick to what I know works. 

(the problems persisted even if I did a clean install or reset the SMC)

10 minutes ago, Thomas_Bam said:

Tell that to my macbook when I had it it froze for a good 5 seconds when I right clicked and when I used macOS Sierra it froze for 10 - 20 seconds just moving files grated thats a beta but I think ill stick to what I know works. 

What Mac do you have?

Yosemite isn't drastically lighter than anything that came after it.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

iOS 10 seems to be running smoother on my 6 plus, but I'm get a 7 tomorrow anyway.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

37 minutes ago, Thomas_Bam said:

That sounds like its dieing. I've run all the betas since Yosemite and have never had a problem like that. Only graphical glitches on desktop switching.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

2 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

3GS was about the same between 5 and 6 so i don't know what you are talking about. The 4 took a nice hit but i would rather have an update. Never made it unusable. Just kinda like vista on a core 2 duo kinda speed.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

5 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Well a 4s probably would work fine as well...I think what happened before was all devices before the 4s were...ermmmm...single core?

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 hour ago, Thomas_Bam said:

Curiously, do you have one with a hard drive?

Pascal laptops guide

2 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

What Mac do you have?

Macbook Pro 13" Late 2011 Upgraded with 8GB Ram and 250GB Samsung 850 EVO.

58 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Curiously, do you have one with a hard drive?

Not anymore, SSD.

1 hour ago, Hunter259 said:

That sounds like its dieing. I've run all the betas since Yosemite and have never had a problem like that. Only graphical glitches on desktop switching.

I ran apple hardware test a few weeks ago before I rolled back to yosemite (rolled back on monday) and nothing came up. I replaced my thermal paste last week so i know its not being slow due to a thermal barrier.

2 hours ago, Thomas_Bam said:

Macbook Pro 13" Late 2011 Upgraded with 8GB Ram and 250GB Samsung 850 EVO.

Not anymore, SSD.

I ran apple hardware test a few weeks ago before I rolled back to yosemite (rolled back on monday) and nothing came up. I replaced my thermal paste last week so i know its not being slow due to a thermal barrier.

That test really isn't going to show anything. There is something going on and its not a software update.

6 hours ago, Hunter259 said:

That test really isn't going to show anything. There is something going on and its not a software update.

I'm going to try apples internal "apple hardware diagnostics" tool that has been leaked and can be found on various torrent websites. That will normally tell you if anything is up as it tests the logic board fully. If that comes back clean I might try a new ssd but at the moment yosemite is running as expected.

Apple hardware diagnostics tool in action to diagnose a board fault : skip to 2:44 to see the laptop fail the test and after a lenghthy board repair / rant skio to 55:55 to see it pass the test.

Its still not a 100% confirmed proof that its fine but until I see any weirdness in Yosemite I will assume that its just these updates causing the problems.