CPU/Mobo Upgrade Questions

Hello,

This is my first post here so I'll do a quick introduction, I'm WhatsCS currently am a CS major with emphasis on systems administration both Linux and Microsoft. Cool, onto the main reason I made this thread. I've done some research but nothing has told me exactly what I needed to know, my current rig is as follows:

i5-2500K
ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 (Newest Beta BIOS)
GTX 970

I've found that the Z77 vs Z68 for Ivy-Bridge is about the same give or take a few features I feel like I don't need. The workload that this rig sees is Adobe Photoshop/After Effects/Premiere/Encoder, Vidya games and soon Gentoo which means lots and lots of compiling. Would I see noticeable increases in compile times and in Adobe if going from the i5 2500K to a i7 3770K? Assume the i5 is not going to be OC'd past 4.0GHz.

What is the actual upgrade?

It isn't worth it to go from sandybridge to ivybridge.

There really isn't more you can do for singlethreaded performance, but going to an i7 would be an improvement if whatever you are doing can use 8 threads.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

8 minutes ago, WhatsCS said:

Hello,

This is my first post here so I'll do a quick introduction, I'm WhatsCS currently am a CS major with emphasis on systems administration both Linux and Microsoft. Cool, onto the main reason I made this thread. I've done some research but nothing has told me exactly what I needed to know, my current rig is as follows:

i5-2500K
ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 (Newest Beta BIOS)
GTX 970

I've found that the Z77 vs Z68 for Ivy-Bridge is about the same give or take a few features I feel like I don't need. The workload that this rig sees is Adobe Photoshop/After Effects/Premiere/Encoder, Vidya games and soon Gentoo which means lots and lots of compiling. Would I see noticeable increases in compile times and in Adobe? Assume the i5 is not going to be OC'd past 4.0GHz.

Motherboards don't affect performance (directly). They might limit you on stuff like lack of USB 3 or perhaps bad OCing... but as far as raw performance goes, it doesn't affect anything.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Ah shit I just realized I completely forgot to put in what I was going to, which would be an i7 3770K. I'll update OP. 

I know single thread performance will go either +/- a percent so it was more of a question of, will Adobe Products perform better on the i7 rather than a i5. I also should mention that the 3770K's are going for pretty cheap on Ebay which is why I'm even debating on upgrading. Otherwise I would just go with my original upgrade which is a new case, a SSD and just wait it out until I have the money to upgrade CPU/Mobo/RAM.

11 minutes ago, WhatsCS said:

Ah shit I just realized I completely forgot to put in what I was going to, which would be an i7 3770K. I'll update OP. 

I know single thread performance will go either +/- a percent so it was more of a question of, will Adobe Products perform better on the i7 rather than a i5. I also should mention that the 3770K's are going for pretty cheap on Ebay which is why I'm even debating on upgrading. Otherwise I would just go with my original upgrade which is a new case, a SSD and just wait it out until I have the money to upgrade CPU/Mobo/RAM.

If you don't have one already, definitely get a ssd. If it's a decision between a cpu upgrade and a ssd, go with the ssd.

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you don't have one already, definitely get a ssd. If it's a decision between a cpu upgrade and a ssd, go with the ssd.

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

Ah, I come from forums that are strict with quoting since it can turn into giant trees but it seems like this forum doesn't have that problem. Thank you. As for the upgrades, the case and SSD are going to happen regardless and it will be my 3rd SSD so it's more of, do I spend the extra $200USD and get the i7 or not.

2 minutes ago, WhatsCS said:

Ah, I come from forums that are strict with quoting since it can turn into giant trees but it seems like this forum doesn't have that problem. Thank you. As for the upgrades, the case and SSD are going to happen regardless and it will be my 3rd SSD so it's more of, do I spend the extra $200USD and get the i7 or not.

I recommend tagging or quoting the part you're responding to if it ends up being huge otherwise. 

Are you lacking in cpu performance? If not, I don't see why you'd upgrade instead of pocketing the cash.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

I recommend tagging or quoting the part you're responding to if it ends up being huge otherwise. 

Are you lacking in cpu performance? If not, I don't see why you'd upgrade instead of pocketing the cash.

Well, I've been getting into After Effects, I want to start working with AutoCAD and I also will be installing Gentoo which is a lot of compiling so if I can get one for cheap then it seems like the best bet. I was more just testing the waters to see if anyone has ever compared the two or similar CPUs when doing rendering/video processing. Plus I don't like to OC very much as I honestly don't have the money to cover if I inevitably break things so I'm not really getting the most out of my i5.

2 minutes ago, WhatsCS said:

Well, I've been getting into After Effects, I want to start working with AutoCAD and I also will be installing Gentoo which is a lot of compiling so if I can get one for cheap then it seems like the best bet. I was more just testing the waters to see if anyone has ever compared the two or similar CPUs when doing rendering/video processing. Plus I don't like to OC very much as I honestly don't have the money to cover if I inevitably break things so I'm not really getting the most out of my i5.

If you have the money to buy a 3770k, you have money to cover if you break things. 

Oc'ing is pretty safe--just keep an eye on temps and your core voltage. 

The upgrade isn't worth the money unless you need the extra performance. If your current cpu is doing fine, keep using it.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you have the money to buy a 3770k, you have money to cover if you break things. 

Oc'ing is pretty safe--just keep an eye on temps and your core voltage. 

The upgrade isn't worth the money unless you need the extra performance. If your current cpu is doing fine, keep using it.

True, I think I'll keep looking around at benchmarks and see if there are any that show noticeable changes in render time between the two CPUs. If you or anyone else has benchmarks showing this I would be forever grateful.

7 minutes ago, WhatsCS said:

True, I think I'll keep looking around at benchmarks and see if there are any that show noticeable changes in render time between the two CPUs. If you or anyone else has benchmarks showing this I would be forever grateful.

Here's an example with AE 2014: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7852/intel-xeon-e52697-v2-and-xeon-e52687w-v2-review-12-and-8-cores/3

It should be pretty similar for CC.

If you're 3d rendering in AutoCAD, scaling should be pretty linear so Cinebench render time in seconds is good to look at: http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/575/Intel_Core_i5_i5-2500K_vs_Intel_Core_i7_i7-3770K.html

6 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Here's an example with AE 2014: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7852/intel-xeon-e52697-v2-and-xeon-e52687w-v2-review-12-and-8-cores/3

It should be pretty similar for CC.

If you're 3d rendering in AutoCAD, scaling should be pretty linear so Cinebench render time in seconds is good to look at: http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/575/Intel_Core_i5_i5-2500K_vs_Intel_Core_i7_i7-3770K.html

Thank you very much for those links. From what it looks like, the i7 performs like an i7 should, at least in my mind, against an i5. Though the increase isn't very much but the added threads could prove to be very useful. I think I'll troll through Ebay and if I see a good deal on one I'll get it. Hell, I may update this with some benchmarks of my own if I do end up getting the CPU.

As I said, thank you for the help. Didn't know where to go since there are so many forums and decided to finally sign up, seems like I made a good choice.