EK Black Nickel & Questions

Katsunaka

Ive looked at pictures and i still can't figure out what the color is like in person. 

Im thinking about custom cooling my itx 6700k using one of the EK AIO kits using soft tubing. 

My other question is

Is a 240 radiator enough for an overclocked 6700k and overclocked 1070.

My gaming temps with my h100 are as follows

-cpu 60-65 and gpu 60ish. Both at the current OCs. 

The 1070 is currently air cooled with its stock cooler. 

2 minutes ago, Katsunaka said:

Ive looked at pictures and i still can't figure out what the color is like in person. 

Im thinking about custom cooling my itx 6700k using one of the EK AIO kits using soft tubing. 

My other question is

My gaming temps with my h100 are as follows

-cpu 60-65 and gpu 60ish. Both at the current OCs. 

The 1070 is currently air cooled with its stock cooler. 

hmm, for both GPU and CPU OC you should go with at least 3x 120mm to not get temperatures of your loop over 60*C then because it can damage your pump and it is not recommended to have your loop hotter than 50*C. 

ASUS Maximus VII Hero | i7 4790K OC 4.8GHZ | 4x8GB 2400MHz MSI GTX 1070 alphacool eiswolf gpx pro
Samsung 850 EVO 520GB + Corsair 525gb + 275gb SSD  2TB Seagate Barracuda | 8TB Seagate Archive

Cooler Master HAF-X 942 | EVGA Supernova 1000W 80+ Platinum | Custom watercooling loop (gpu+cpu)

360mm+180mm rad and 10 fans | Swiftech D5 mcp655-B

4 minutes ago, Katsunaka said:

My other question is

a single 240 is not enough to have comfortable overclocked temperatures.

360 would be minimum, but at the risk of having the fans at a higher speed, making more noise.

either a 2x240 or a 360 and 240 to have low fan speeds for a quieter experience and controlled thermal limits.

1 minute ago, bughtoo said:

hmm, for both GPU and CPU OC you should go with at least 3x 120mm to not get temperatures of your loop over 60*C then because it can damage your pump and it is not recommended to have your loop hotter than 50*C. 

you mean coolant temperatures..

Just now, airdeano said:

360 would be minimum, but at the risk of having the fans at a higher speed, making more noise.

either a 2x240 or a 360 and 240 to have low fan speeds for a quieter experience and controlled thermal limits.

I be happy you understanding what i saying! :D That is what i meant.

ASUS Maximus VII Hero | i7 4790K OC 4.8GHZ | 4x8GB 2400MHz MSI GTX 1070 alphacool eiswolf gpx pro
Samsung 850 EVO 520GB + Corsair 525gb + 275gb SSD  2TB Seagate Barracuda | 8TB Seagate Archive

Cooler Master HAF-X 942 | EVGA Supernova 1000W 80+ Platinum | Custom watercooling loop (gpu+cpu)

360mm+180mm rad and 10 fans | Swiftech D5 mcp655-B

16 minutes ago, Katsunaka said:

It's essentially a dark silver.  It's hard to explain, but imagine looking at a silver object in a dimly lit room.  I use black nickel in my build and it's looks a lot better to me than regular silver.

18 minutes ago, Katsunaka said:

My other question is

One 240 isn't going to be enough.  Even a single 360 is pushing it.  I'd follow @airdeano recommendation or even more if possible.  The more surface area you have, the less fan speed required to maintain the same temps.  Bigger loop, more consistent water temps.

19 minutes ago, airdeano said:

I didnt really mention it but a 240 is all I can support. 

I looked at another guys build running what i want to do and his temps are ok with a 240 and a 970. 

His words 

Idles at 30C and goes up to around 50C under load. This is with GTX 970 at stock and i5-6600K at 4.3, nothing too crazy and being cooled by the 240mm radiator that the EK-XLC Predator uses "

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/qD9WGX#comments

Thats the guy running it. Worst comes to worst see what my temps are and adjust my OC on the cpu and go stock oc levels on my 1070. 

If he can get away with a 4.3 oc on the cpu and a more power hungry 970, i figure i should be able to manage a mild OC on the cpu and little to no oc on my 1070.

20 minutes ago, Katsunaka said:

I looked at another guys build running what i want to do and his temps are ok with a 240 and a 970. 

His words 

Idles at 30C and goes up to around 50C under load. This is with GTX 970 at stock and i5-6600K at 4.3, nothing too crazy and being cooled by the 240mm radiator that the EK-XLC Predator uses "

Thats the guy running it. Worst comes to worst see what my temps are and adjust my OC on the cpu and go stock oc levels on my 1070. 

If he can get away with a 4.3 oc on the cpu and a more power hungry 970, i figure i should be able to manage a mild OC on the cpu and little to no oc on my 1070.

It can be done, but make sure you get a couple of 3,000 RPM fans to mount to that radiator and don't plan on having normal conversations anywhere in the same room as your PC.  :D

Do not put faith into temps that people post on this forum or anywhere else.  People have this need to show others that there's is better, which comes with a great deal of embellishment.  

57 minutes ago, airdeano said:

His words 

1 hour ago, Katsunaka said:

Its a shade or two darker than the pictures, i.e. not so grey. I have just gotten quite a few of their black nickel fittings for my new rig.

4 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Snip

5 hours ago, airdeano said:

Snip

Alright upon looking at whats possible and what can be done. 

Ill buy the predator 240 AIO and a thinner EK radiator( suggestions as to whats roughly h100 sized).

Run 2 240 radiators. One up top and one in the front. 

For the loop, 

Top rad to cpu, cpu to gpu, gpu to 240 ek aio, 240 aio to h100 sized top rad. 

If that makes sense and is understandable. Use the ek AIO to push the loop, buy their soft tubing that matches what comes on the aio, along with their regular nickel fittings so its 2 less i have to buy and Im already aware of what that looks like. 

My parts list would look like

- EK 240 AIO

- EK H100 Sized Radiator(Coolstream Se or PE?) 

- 2 black 90 g1/4 fittings 

- 6 Ek Nickel 10/16 Fittings 

- EK Soft Tubing that matches the AIO 

- EK 1L Clear Coolant 

165685.d242a98c9ab8c373b25b1b04cdc17f9d.

This is how my loop would be, except in soft. Minus the res, since Id be using the AIOs built in pump to push with. Only reason for going soft is to be different. I did PETG once and never again.

The_Mod_Zoo_NZXT_Manta_mITX_Gaming_Case_

So dual 240s should be enough. Basically 1 240 for the cpu and 1 for the gpu. Which if my h100 supports the overclock now, a custom looped dual 240 rad should be enough to support both parts being OCd to hell. 

5 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

EK-CoolStream SE 240 (Slim Dual) = 26mm thick.  Should work just fine.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-coolstream-se-240-slim-dual

I figured it was that. I remember its what Kyle of BitWit did in his Manta build. 

But the rest looks ok? The first pic is where I got the idea from. The 2nd just shows the loop style i have in mind.

7 minutes ago, Katsunaka said:

I figured it was that. I remember its what Kyle of BitWit did in his Manta build. 

But the rest looks ok? The first pic is where I got the idea from. The 2nd just shows the loop style i have in mind.

Yeah, the parts look good.  I tend to split the radiators between blocks, but that's just my personal preference.  

My loop looks like this.   CPU monoblock --> 2 x rads --> 2 x GPU blocks --> 1 x rad --> pump --> 2 x rad --> pump --> back into the CPU monoblock.

Looks like you have things well under control.  Good luck with your loop build and have fun with it!

Im still in the air about it. 

I've already got good temps with both being oc'd well. So its basically throwing 700 bucks more at it for a few more degrees and losing the rgb of the gpu. 

I may just go nuts and use my other 6700k in my old mother board and go stupid with it and take my good cpu out and put it back in my atx board.