Mini ITX or Micro ATX board overclocking 6600k

Go to solution Solved by i-iZ-tOny,

thanks for all the replys, i think i will be going with a GIGABYTE GA-Z170N-WIFI.

Im looking at getting a i5 6600k and would want to have to ability to do a bit of overclocking, nothing extreme just maybe to 4.2 ghz or so. i was wondering if there are any small motherboards out there (micro ATX or mini ITX) that would be ale to handle a little overclocking? thanks :)

any board with the Z170 chipset can overclock but this is the one my friend uses:

Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5

Main PC | AMD R7 3700X | Noctua D14 | MSI RTX 2080 Super XS OC | Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | MSI B550A Pro | 1TB PNY XLR8 NVMe SSD | Kingston A400 960GB SSD | 2TB Western Digital Green HDD | Fractal Design Define R6TG |

Laptop (Asus TUF FX505DY) | AMD R5 3550H | RX560X | Crucial DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | Western Digital SN550 256GB SSD | PNY CS900 960GB SSD |

Phone | Samsung S10 Lite (128GB + 128GB SD card) |

Other Cool Stuff | Steam Link | Sontronics Podcast Pro | NZXT Hue+ | Corsair K70 MK 2 (MX Brown) | Logitech G402 | HiSense A7300 43 Inch 4K TV | Logitech C920 | Ender 3 Pro with Bulleye Fan duct and BLTouch |Sony PS4 | Nintendo Switch 

All motherboards should be able to handle overclocking. The best ITX MoBo out there (in my opinion) is the Asus ROG Maximus VIII Impact, though it costs a small loan of a million dollars.

i5-8600K -  Asus Strix Z370E - Asus GTX 1060 Strix - EVGA 650W P2 - Samsung 970 Pro 500GB - G.Skill TridentZ 16GB

Can't go wrong with Gigabyte or Asus but in this case I gotta agree... that Asus ROG Maximus VIII Impact  looks soooooooooo good. There is even a monoblock for that thing.... I always wanted to build one of those with a monoblock in one of those tubular LAN cases.

4.2ghz isn't much at all and any z170 board would be fine. The quality of the motherboard starts making a bigger difference in oc'ing when you're pushing higher clocks. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

21 minutes ago, I_IHaveNoLife_l said:

All motherboards should be able to handle overclocking. The best ITX MoBo out there (in my opinion) is the Asus ROG Maximus VIII Impact, though it costs a small loan of a million dollars.

Used the Z97 variant for a friends build (with a 4690K mildly overclocked to 4.3GHz) . I have nothing but good things to say about the ASUS Impact motherboards.

thanks for all the replys, i think i will be going with a GIGABYTE GA-Z170N-WIFI.