Cpu temp in oven?

So I have this dead 3820 laying around and I thought I might try to bring it back to life with some oven magic.

but I am unsure of what temperature I should use (I'm guessing pretty high?)

this is is last resort as I will most likely have to replace it anyway.

any tips is appreciated :)

Uhhh... I don't think you can reflow a CPU like you can a GPU...

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

IIRC this won't work with CPUs as there isn't any solder points an oven could fix.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Just now, Imglidinhere said:

Uhhh... I don't think you can reflow a CPU like you can a GPU...

It's worth a try tho right?....

do you think they use different solder? I don't think there should be much difference.

i would say preheat the oven to 220°C and put in a yet to be baked cake in it

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

Just now, Christopher_ said:

do you think they use different solder? I don't think there should be much difference.

I don't think it's worth a try is what I mean. Can you RMA the CPU? :P Isn't there some kind of overclocker's insurance that Intel put out there some time ago?

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

Innit something about that method not actually reflowing, but fiddeling with the chip(s) themselves?

Well the thing is, it's just gonna be placed on a shelf somewhere or get trown away.

i do have a hot air station, that can get pretty hot. :'p

anyways my point is even if there is minimal chance it's still worth it as I could save myself 100$

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

If you do that then you aren't going to get an RMA.  All you're going to do is burn the parts.  When working on electronics like this you need to identify the actual issue.  focusing the heat of an oven directly onto an electronic is going to burn the electronic and its parts.  So, even if you managed to get "some life into it" you're just going to watch it die again.  Just send it for RMA so that a professional can fix it with the right tools.  If you burn it then you're just burning it, which won't fix it.  Think of it this way.  You're trying to cook a pizza longer, most likely burning it, to fix a lack of sauce.   It doesn't work that way is my point, and you're only risking damaging it more.

I am pretty sure Intel dosent offer rma for such old processors?

it died because of static, as my dumb brother touched the mobo somehow frying the cup itself

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

If you do that then you aren't going to get an RMA.  All you're going to do is burn the parts.  When working on electronics like this you need to identify the actual issue.  focusing the heat of an oven directly onto an electronic is going to burn the electronic and its parts.  So, even if you managed to get "some life into it" you're just going to watch it die again.  Just send it for RMA so that a professional can fix it with the right tools.  If you burn it then you're just burning it, which won't fix it.  Think of it this way.  You're trying to cook a pizza longer, most likely burning it, to fix a lack of sauce.   It doesn't work that way is my point, and you're only risking damaging it more.

He already said he doesn't care about it and will end up just getting thrown away. I say: DO IT FOR SCIENCE!

3 minutes ago, Christopher_ said:

Will try tomorrow, 250c under and overheat :P

But remeber, once you bake a CPU, the oven is a paperweight (unlesss you clean it really well, you can't bake in it anymore)

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

19 minutes ago, Christopher_ said:

From what i know baking a gpu doesnt fix the actually core just the solder points with everything else. So its more like fixing the motherboard not the actual processor for you.

6 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

You're not going to fix the static damage by burning the processor in an oven.  Might as well just make a keychain out of it, but if you wanna burn it then alright.  There's really no temperature that will work.  So, that leaves you with them all.

Correct, no amount of heat, however vigorous, is going to repair the holes now blasted in the metal oxides in the transistors. It's dead Jim.

1 minute ago, Hunter7263 said:

From what i know baking a gpu doesnt fix the actually core just the solder points with everything else. So its more like fixing the motherboard not the actual processor for you.

Well I'm 100% sure it's the cpu

what I don't know is if there is chance to send it to rma (witch I don't think as its 3 year limited warranty or whatever)

18 hours ago, Christopher_ said:

So I have this dead 3820 laying around and I thought I might try to bring it back to life with some oven magic.

but I am unsure of what temperature I should use (I'm guessing pretty high?)

this is is last resort as I will most likely have to replace it anyway.

any tips is appreciated :)

Just get an E5 2670 for cheap on ebay. $60-$70 USD for an eight core hyperthreaded aandybridge cpu.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Was hoping this would somehow work. Anyway, thumbs up for SCIENCE!

3 minutes ago, DunePilot said:

Preheat oven to 350 and bake for 12 minutes, season to taste.

all you need is salt

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list