Intel LGA - AMD PGA

Hello LTT. It's this annoying guy again who has learned her doesn't know even close to as much as he think he did with computers in general.

How are you all? Hi!

So as some may know, I am an Intel sheep. But then I got to thinking... I understand the Intel naming method well enough i5, i7. 6600, 6700. LGA 1151, LGA 2011.

But... when it comes to AMD I'm like wha...? Athlon? Phenom(I bet I got that horribly wrong.) And I don't even know what's AM2 or FM2+ is. Just... What?

So what would be the equivalent LGA - PGA Sockets?

1151 - ?

Athlon - ?

i5 - ?

2011 - ?

Phenom - ?

i7 - ?

And so on and so forth/ Really AMD/ATI confuse the hell outta me with their naming style. I think my brain melted.

Thanks LTT. Really for the people whom answer and put up with my nonsense, I would like to contribute more myself but ever since I for once did research on a build and learned so much more I realize or at least feel that I can't on the ground I'd have no clue what I am talking about and may cause more frustration and possibly harm than anything else. I really want to learn. Which is why I'm on the forums and watching LLT and such all the time on Youtube.

Thanks again to all.

There is no equivalent. Simply as that. You don't compare sockets.

LGA 1155-AM3+

Rest? idek ;) but you can't compare CPU performance with sockets as the new 8 core Zen CPU is meant to go into the AM4 socket where the APUs exists as well...so you're getting both lowest of end APUs/CPUs and the highest end (consumer/enthusiast grade wise) on the same socket :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

If it was 20 years ago I would've said that the AMD K6 and the Pentium 1 were the equivalent.

But not today.

AMD is so late with tech that it's not even comparable.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

Instead of equivalents first, I'll just briefly explain the stuff now.

AMD's main CPU's are on 'AM' platforms. AM1, AM2, AM2+, AM3, AM3+ and coming probably in Feb/ 2017 is AM4. On AM3 you had Athlon and Phenoms. Phenoms were the better of the two, kinda like i3 vs i5 I guess. AM3+ has the FX series CPU's. The reason they call it "AM3+" and not just AM4 is because AM3 CPU's fit in AM3+ motherboards (AM3+ CPU's dont fit in AM3).

AMD also has 'APU's', which are CPU's that have better onboard graphics. currently this is on the FM2+ platform. It's mostly A6, A8 and A10 CPU's.

On the FM2+ platform you also have some modern Athlon CPU's (like the 860K and 880K. The K has nothing to do with overclocking).

SO I guess equivalents are:

LGA 1151: not really an equivalent. If you're asking as in AMD's current platform? AM3+ or FM2+. If you mean same technologies? (like DDR4 and PCI-E gen 3) I guess their upcoming AM4 platform.

Athlon/i5/Phenom/i7: There is no equivalents. The way they handle naming and inter-platform naming is way different

2011: (or 2011-3 now) is Intel's prosumer socket, which AMD is not that prevelant in that market. They did have prosumer market CPU's before, Opteron CPU's

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

10 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Instead of equivalents first, I'll just briefly explain the stuff now.

AMD's main CPU's are on 'AM' platforms. AM1, AM2, AM2+, AM3, AM3+ and coming probably in Feb/ 2017 is AM4. On AM3 you had Athlon and Phenoms. Phenoms were the better of the two, kinda like i3 vs i5 I guess. AM3+ has the FX series CPU's. The reason they call it "AM3+" and not just AM4 is because AM3 CPU's fit in AM3+ motherboards (AM3+ CPU's dont fit in AM3).

AMD also has 'APU's', which are CPU's that have better onboard graphics. currently this is on the FM2+ platform. It's mostly A6, A8 and A10 CPU's.

On the FM2+ platform you also have some modern Athlon CPU's (like the 860K and 880K. The K has nothing to do with overclocking).

SO I guess equivalents are:

LGA 1151: not really an equivalent. If you're asking as in AMD's current platform? AM3+ or FM2+. If you mean same technologies? (like DDR4 and PCI-E gen 3) I guess their upcoming AM4 platform.

Athlon/i5/Phenom/i7: There is no equivalents. The way they handle naming and inter-platform naming is way different

2011: (or 2011-3 now) is Intel's prosumer socket, which AMD is not that prevelant in that market. They did have prosumer market CPU's before, Opteron CPU's

Thanks a ton. This helps loads.

I guess I should've known better than to look for equivalents like that, But I wanted to at lest try to understand the AMD side of things better.

From what I've read (Provided I of course understood correctly) on the scheme of things AMD is behind Intel in terms of performance on offer vs. Intel? Though of course I'd see it like that as I'd take an Intel CPU over an AMD one any day.

Edited by Andivegito
My grammer sucks.

9 minutes ago, Andivegito said:

Thanks a ton. This helps loads.

I guess I should've known better than to look for equivalents like that, But I wanted to at lest try to understand the AMD side of things better.

From what I've read (Provided I of course understood correctly) on the scheme of things AMD is behind Intel in terms of performance on offer vs. Intel? Though of course I'd see it like that as I'd take and Intel CPU of an AMD one any day.

Yeah, AMD is kinda behind Intel now.

When a CPU maker invents a new architecture, they spend a LOT of money on research and development and hope to be able to make CPU's based on that architecture for the next 4 years or so. Sadly for AMD though, their architecture was not as good as Intel's at the time, so that continued for a bit (throughout Intel's 3rd, 4th and now 6th gen). AMD new CPU's will be based on a new architecture (I think the upcoming models have the codename 'Zen'. I don't think that's the codename for the entire architecture.. I might be wrong) and hopefully for AMD will be good.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

Yeah, AMD is kinda behind Intel now.

When a CPU maker invents a new architecture, they spend a LOT of money on research and development and hope to be able to make CPU's based on that architecture for the next 4 years or so. Sadly for AMD though, their architecture was not as good as Intel's at the time, so that continued for a bit (throughout Intel's 3rd, 4th and now 6th gen). AMD new CPU's will be based on a new architecture (I think the upcoming models have the codename 'Zen'. I don't think that's the codename for the entire architecture.. I might be wrong) and hopefully for AMD will be good.

Well if anything at least for them, at least until they release their new architecture the code-name of Zen should sound exciting. But how long will it take then for Intel to step-up above them after that? Also I believe that "Icelake" is coming late 2018 or so.

9 minutes ago, Andivegito said:

Well if anything at least for them, at least until they release their new architecture the code-name of Zen should sound exciting. But how long will it take then for Intel to step-up above them after that? Also I believe that "Icelake" is coming late 2018 or so.

Intel has Kaby Lake coming up in 2017 too I think.

Anyways, it kinda depends on how good Zen will be. There have been some reports on the performance, ranging from "better than Intel's Broawell-e clock for clock" to whatever else, so performance is not known yet.

It also depends on how much you like your tin foil hate, because I have heard people speculate Intel maybe has very advanced technology behind closed doors, because AMD is not a real competitor in terms of performance now.

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

Intel has Kaby Lake coming up in 2017 too I think.

Anyways, it kinda depends on how good Zen will be. There have been some reports on the performance, ranging from "better than Intel's Broawell-e clock for clock" to whatever else, so performance is not known yet.

It also depends on how much you like your tin foil hate, because I have heard people speculate Intel maybe has very advanced technology behind closed doors, because AMD is not a real competitor in terms of performance now.

As much as I love Intel over AMD...

Well, the whole advanced tech behind closed doors is a bit ludicrous. AMDs problem probably stems from poor choice in internal management on multiple levels and marking failures giving a not so great rep.Of course I could be completely wrong, maybe they're just so deep in the pit that they just can't crawl out ahead of the other guy.