ING Bank datacenter in Bucharest shutdown by hard drive failure caused by over 130db sound pressure levels caused by a fire extinguishing test :D

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/a-loud-sound-just-shut-down-a-banks-data-center-for-10-hours

ING Bank’s main data center in Bucharest, Romania, was severely damaged over the weekend during a fire extinguishing test. In what is a very rare but known phenomenon, it was the loud sound of inert gas being released that destroyed dozens of hard drives. The site is currently offline and the bank relies solely on its backup data center, located within a couple of miles’ proximity.

Local clients were unable to use debit cards and to perform online banking operations on Saturday between 1PM and 11PM

The gas is stored in cylinders, and is released at high velocity out of nozzles uniformly spread across the data center. According to people familiar with the system, the pressure at ING Bank's data center was higher than expected, and produced a loud sound when rapidly expelled through tiny holes (think about the noise a steam engine releases).

The bank monitored the sound and it was very loud, a source familiar with the system told us. “It was as high as their equipment could monitor, over 130dB”.

Sound means vibration, and this is what damaged the hard drives. The HDD cases started to vibrate, and the vibration was transmitted to the read/write heads, causing them to go off the data tracks.

So do not scream at your hard drive, it will hate you and make you suffer :))

Personally i am an ING client and Saturday i got an email about the failure of the banking service from ING and i know a lot of co-workers who were unable to use their cards or online banking services.

BUT what i find even more interesting is that on Saturday evening at about 8PM i used my debit card to pay in a supermarket. But i did not insert the card in the POS, as you usually do around here. I used the card's VISA PayWave functionality and it worked just ok. What even more funny is that i checked online the history of my transactions and that one did not registered xD.

Anyway it was a small amount, about 2 euros, but i find it quite funny

P.S. Also watch the video in the article. The guy is really funny as he screams his lungs out at those poor hard drivesxD

In the end everything is gonna be ok;

If it's not ok, it's not the end.

I read about this from a friend in the Pen Sec Business. He found it odd that they didn't have a backup system ready (a failsafe) but at the same time... restoring from an older backup everything in 10hours is also amazing. So, kudos to them for the fast fix.

yeah indeed, they did a really good job at getting everything up and running again

But what i find to be quite puzzling is

The site is currently offline and the bank relies solely on its backup data center, located within a couple of miles’ proximity.

I mean really!? Your backup is within a couple of miles proximity. What do you do in case of a natural disaster like an earthquake? U lose main and backup datacenter...BAAD, very bad. I mean yes, it's very likely that is not the only backup datacenter but anyway....if it's a primary backup, i don't know, i'm not an expert but that doesn't seem ok

Oh, so it might be a bad idea to subject your vital datacentre to sounds so loud you cannot even measure, so loud they would destroy a human ear drum?

Who would have thought sounds as loud or louder than a jet could damage equipment accurate down to micrometres? 

yeah, of course.....someone had do be a racist smartass (-_Q)

I believe I read something about sound being able to ruin harddrives, wonder if SSD's would have the same problem, doubt it tho they're better in every way if you ask me.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

130db? Did the thing just fucking blew up I believe that's almost as loud as a fucking jet engine. No wonder the hdds died it probably left people nearby with blown eardrums if not permanent hearing damage.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 hours ago, Nano0806 said:

loud sound of inert gas being released that destroyed dozens of hard drives

Reminds me of that time my uncle farted next to my pc & the monitor flickered , guess my hard drive was more durable than i thought

Details separate people.

3 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

130db? Did the thing just fucking blew up I believe that's almost as loud as a fucking jet engine. No wonder the hdds died it probably left people nearby with blown eardrums if not permanent hearing damage.

I live near a busy airport. No blown eardrums yet. Though definitely some bags under the eyes.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

2 minutes ago, Admiral Naismith said:

I live near a busy airport. No blown eardrums yet. Though definitely some bags under the eyes.

is you house on the air strip, if not then it not even close to 130 dB

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

5 hours ago, Nano0806 said:

yeah indeed, they did a really good job at getting everything up and running again

I mean really!? Your backup is within a couple of miles proximity. What do you do in case of a natural disaster like an earthquake? U lose main and backup datacenter...BAAD, very bad. I mean yes, it's very likely that is not the only backup datacenter but anyway....if it's a primary backup, i don't know, i'm not an expert but that doesn't seem ok

Yeah is not like they have important data like fucking bank records. It never ceases to amaze me how many security and redundancy rules key enterprises ignore.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I love the part that says sound means vibrations.. 

37761188.jpg

10 points if you can name the film! 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

47 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Yeah is not like they have important data like fucking bank records. It never ceases to amaze me how many security and redundancy rules key enterprises ignore.

Yeah they should know better with all those Romanian earthquakes, supercells and tornado's they be getting.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

2 minutes ago, Noctus said:

Yeah they should know better with all those Romanian earthquakes, supercells and tornado's they be getting.

Hey my city has been getting 4.0 earthquakes lately after centuries of no activity due to fraking*, you'd be surprised.

*However you spell it, that deep oil and gas mining with heavy duty hydraulic equipment thing they do now.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, Noctus said:

Super cells are basically tornadoes though, aren't they? 

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Hey my city has been getting 4.0 earthquakes lately after centuries of no activity due to phraking, you'd be surprised.

And Romania is at the Black Sea not far off the Med. Ideal phracking locations...

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Super cells are basically tornadoes though, aren't they? 

No. A supercell is a gigantic thunderstorm. Tornado's have a chance of being created from one.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

1 minute ago, Noctus said:

No. A supercell is a gigantic thunderstorm. Tornado's have a chance of being created from one.

Fair enough, I knew I'd heard the stormchaser maniacs talking about Supercells. 

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Fair enough, I knew I'd heard the stormchaser maniacs talking about Supercells. 

Yeah, most cases some sort of tornado-esque thing appears hence all those nutters in their kitted out jeeps lol.

6 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

louder. 747 on take-off is approximatly 125db.

American railwayhorns are rated at 122db across 7 different octaves

10 hours ago, Noctus said:

Well, supercells and tornados no. But earthquakes yes. In 1940 there was a 7.4 degrees Richter scale earthquake in Romania, and in 1977 a 7.2 degrees one which killed 1570 people and injured 11000

Here's a photo taken in Bucharest in 1977 after the earthquake;

Cutremur-4-martie-1977-600x422.jpg

.....time is ticking

11 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

10 points if you can name the film! 

Dogma, Buddy Jesus. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I was chased into Bucharest airport by a taxi driver with a screwdriver once.

Never went back