Cooling a Mineral Oil Machine

iamMINT

So I'm about dead set on building one of these things. I've built plenty of PC's before and I already know exactly what I'm going to do as far as hardware, tank, and so on. Though, the one bit I'm a little stuck on is how to cool these. I know you need to pump the hot oil out, send it through a radiator to cool it, and send the cold oil back in through a water cool loop. I'm just not really sure what I'd need to do that, as I'm not super familiar with water cooling and loop

I work as a contractor for everything from photo/video to broadcast and networking. 

I use an old HP Laptop forked up on top of a photography textbook. 

Right now this is what I use: Fuji X100T, Fuji X100, Fuji X-E1, XF 18 f2, XF 35 1.4, Nikon d7000, Nikkor 180 2,8 AFIS, Nikkor 60 1.8.

I've got more crap laying around for other jobs and hobbies, though a lot of that isn't applicable to the interests of this forum, so I'll keep myself back from adding it all to the list. 

You are aware of all the difficulties with mineral oil PCs, right?

The cost, weight, problems with cables, non-reusability, etc...?

I don't understand how you could know everything there is to know about a mineral oil PCs without even knowing basic watercooling...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You want to cool your oil-cooled PC?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

8 minutes ago, JohnBRoark said:

So I'm about dead set on building one of these things. I've built plenty of PC's before and I already know exactly what I'm going to do as far as hardware, tank, and so on. Though, the one bit I'm a little stuck on is how to cool these. I know you need to pump the hot oil out, send it through a radiator to cool it, and send the cold oil back in through a water cool loop. I'm just not really sure what I'd need to do that, as I'm not super familiar with water cooling and loop

Usually you submerge the pump into the oil and have it pump out of the tank into the rads for cooling. However just note that you want to replace all rubber seals with nitrile to ensure they don't break down as they are chemically resistant to mineral oil.

Just now, Enderman said:

You are aware of all the difficulties with mineral oil PCs, right?

The cost, weight, problems with cables, non-reusability, etc...?

I don't understand how you could know everything there is to know about a mineral oil PCs without even knowing basic watercooling...

I don't know every possible thing there is to know about mineral oil computer building, and I'm still planning it out. I was just saying I know what system I'm wanting to put in there. Though, I don't see why the fact that I don't watercool too much would make me under qualified to build a mineral oil machine. I know full well that it's really heavy, rather expensive, and awfully hard on your cabling. Yet, something about the challenges it faces makes me still really want to build one of these things. 

I work as a contractor for everything from photo/video to broadcast and networking. 

Right now this is what I use: Fuji X100T, Fuji X100, Fuji X-E1, XF 18 f2, XF 35 1.4, Nikon d7000, Nikkor 180 2,8 AFIS, Nikkor 60 1.8.

I've got more crap laying around for other jobs and hobbies, though a lot of that isn't applicable to the interests of this forum, so I'll keep myself back from adding it all to the list. 

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Well, oil sucks in heat really well- though since it's so thick and doesn't move around very well, it's hard to keep it cool. That's why'd you pump it out into a radiator to cool the hot oil, and pump it back into the system cool to keep it at decent

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

Usually you submerge the pump into the oil and have it pump out of the tank into the rads for cooling. However just note that you want to replace all rubber seals with nitrile to ensure they don't break down as they are chemically resistant to mineral oil.

Thanks! I appreciate the response. That answers what questions I do have about keeping the oil at a good temp. 

9 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Mineral oil cooled PCs are submerged in oil, but you need something cooling the oil or else the temperature just rises until it boils.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

Mineral oil cooled PCs are submerged in oil, but you need something cooling the oil or else the temperature just rises until it boils.

I know. I meant a joke where he has his oil-cooled PC and wanted an air cooler or something to further cool it.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

I know. I meant a joke where he has his oil-cooled PC and wanted an air cooler or something to further cool it.

People will put fans in there just for the look of it, though I never really said about air cooling oil, which I don't plan to do. 

10 minutes ago, JohnBRoark said:

I don't know every possible thing there is to know about mineral oil computer building, and I'm still planning it out. I was just saying I know what system I'm wanting to put in there. Though, I don't see why the fact that I don't watercool too much would make me under qualified to build a mineral oil machine. I know full well that it's really heavy, rather expensive, and awfully hard on your cabling. Yet, something about the challenges it faces makes me still really want to build one of these things. 

Hard line water cool your PC, it'll still be challenging, will look a ton better and you can reuse everything.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

7 minutes ago, JohnBRoark said:

Well, oil sucks in heat really well- though since it's so thick and doesn't move around very well, it's hard to keep it cool. That's why'd you pump it out into a radiator to cool the hot oil, and pump it back into the system cool to keep it at decent

Thanks! I appreciate the response. That answers what questions I do have about keeping the oil at a good temp. 

If you had enough surface area it is possible to passive cool the system just with a glass tank, I know there was a mineral oil build using huge aluminum heatsinks that would cool it passively very well. 

3 minutes ago, JohnBRoark said:

I would highly recommend against it, but if you really want to then it's pretty much a regular custom loop IIRC except for the lack of water blocks and that the pump's inlet being left open to the oil.

Just now, JohnBRoark said:

People will put fans in there just for the look of it, though I never really said about air cooling oil, which I don't plan to do. 

Liquid cooling is pretty much air cooling so you're still going to need fans (although like all loops you get to run them super slow. It's great. I have to put my ear about four inches away from the exhaust vent to hear my build. Essentially you're looking at a ~$300 premium over liquid cooling the same parts which, by the way, are almost certainly not going to be reusable. There's a good reason that most people don't do these, but if you really want to then I've got a couplet for you:

Best of luck

It's gonna suck

(but afterwards will look and stay cool)

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

3 minutes ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

I would highly recommend against it, but if you really want to then it's pretty much a regular custom loop IIRC except for the lack of water blocks and that the pump's inlet being left open to the oil.

Liquid cooling is pretty much air cooling so you're still going to need fans (although like all loops you get to run them super slow. It's great. I have to put my ear about four inches away from the exhaust vent to hear my build. Essentially you're looking at a ~$300 premium over liquid cooling the same parts which, by the way, are almost certainly not going to be reusable. There's a good reason that most people don't do these, but if you really want to then I've got a couplet for you:

Best of luck

It's gonna suck

(but afterwards will look and stay cool)

Yes, I know it's going to suck quite a bit. Though, I guess that's why I like the idea of it so much.

I don't plan on putting expensive parts in here for that entire reason. The whole idea is just a grey market AMD machine since the idea of dumping high grade equipment into oil scares me a little bit. I'll probably end up using it as just an excuse to use Linux again, though will see.