GTX 980 died on me in 1 day? Was a bad card or is my system.

legolas90

A couple of weeks back I ordered an rx470 the nitro version, the card was frankly not that good, it was loud and temperature weren't that great either but it was working just fine.

So i decided to get the card back and buy a GTX 980 from Inno3d that was on sale, put the card into the system and it was running fine, install driver, test the card, benchmark etc..

The temperature was 66° in-game and fan would not go over or move from 40%, but it was ok, still silent.

The next morning I go to turn on my build and "no signal" (f*ck), reboot and still nothing, so I used the hdmi out of the motherboard, and the system was up and running.

No Gtx 980 in device manager, no gtx 980 in bios.

So I:

1. Reseated the card

2. Changed the PCI-E slot

3. Cleared CMOS

4. changed the power cable from the power supply

5. Tried it into another Build (still nothing)

Why? How could a card die so suddenly and work only one day?

I tried the PCI-E slot with a wifi card, and an old PCI-E x16 gen 1 Ati card, and both worked.

This is my build

i7 4790k

Asus Z97A

24GB hyper x 1866

XFX 850W ProSeries Bronze

250 Samsung EVO

2TB Seagate drive

Is this Inno3d quality? What could have gone wrong?

Please help me understand, I'm trying to get a new card now, next week but I'm afraid something is off.

I read the 3V 5V and 12V of the PSU to know if it was unstable, or failing and they are:

+12v: min. 12.096V | max. 12.096V

+5v : min 5.040V  max. 5.080V

+3.3v : min 3.344v | max 3.360

3 minutes ago, legolas90 said:

-snip-

It does sound like a bad card to me. I think you just ran out of luck and got a DOA GPU. It happens from time to time. You've done every troubleshooting step I would've done to check for a faulty GPU.

Yep, dead card :/ open an RMA case with the seller or manufacture if you registered it for warranty like you should have... 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Yep, dead card :/ open an RMA case with the seller or manufacture if you registered it for warranty like you should have... 

This is another story completely, the seller is refusing to refund me because "I opened the box".

Well, next time I'll fit the box into my PCI slot to see if something works...

Seller is not being nice about refund, and my request to at least not  take too long for a replacement card has been ignored completely, never replied.

I guess next week I will have to call paypal in, let's see.

1 minute ago, legolas90 said:

This is another story completely, the seller is refusing to refund me because "I opened the box".

Well, next time I'll fit the box into my PCI slot to see if something works...

Seller is not being nice about refund, and my request to at least not  take too long for a replacement card has been ignored completely, never replied.

I guess next week I will have to call paypal in, let's see.

Just open a support case with the card manufacture to do an RMA to get the card replaced. unfortunately you will be down without a graphics card usually 2-3 weeks. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Well in europe seller is usually the one providing warranty, more so with brands that have no headquarters in your country.

And if you receive a product and the day after you contact them to say it is defective, they should DOA/RMA the card and you should not wait for refund or get a new one.

But again, it all depends on the seller, this one, is not going to be that fast or easy.

8 minutes ago, legolas90 said:

Well in europe seller is usually the one providing warranty, more so with brands that have no headquarters in your country.

And if you receive a product and the day after you contact them to say it is defective, they should DOA/RMA the card and you should not wait for refund or get a new one.

But again, it all depends on the seller, this one, is not going to be that fast or easy.

Yeah I hate the EU law.

Its supposed to be good for the buyer because you can have direct contact with the party that handles the RMA.

But at least with computer parts you would often be better of by contacting the manufacturer directly.

This is why I always pay a bit extra to buy at the webshop that I know handles RMA requests very well.

But the "you've opened the box, fuck you!" should be against the law as they are required to provide waranty for profuction problems within 2 years of your purchase.

In the case of such an expensive product it might be worth threatem them with a lawsuit.

I'd personally do that because I will not get muself pushed around by a bunch of d*ckheads like that!

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro

18 minutes ago, mathijs727 said:

Yeah I hate the EU law.

Its supposed to be good for the buyer because you can have direct contact with the party that handles the RMA.

But at least with computer parts you would often be better of by contacting the manufacturer directly.

This is why I always pay a bit extra to buy at the webshop that I know handles RMA requests very well.

But the "you've opened the box, fuck you!" should be against the law as they are required to provide waranty for profuction problems within 2 years of your purchase.

In the case of such an expensive product it might be worth threatem them with a lawsuit.

I'd personally do that because I will not get muself pushed around by a bunch of d*ckheads like that!

Well, as I said I've paid with paypal and sent back the product already, maybe them can get me a refund if comunication fails.

Not to mention lawsuit are expensive here, too much for a GPU to be worth it.

Just now, legolas90 said:

Well, as I said I've paid with paypal and sent back the product already, maybe them can get me a refund if comunication fails.

If the seller is being a *****, then just contact paypal.

They really help protecting buyers from stuff like this.

Just dont wait to long, I believe paypal has a deadline of 30 days since the purchase (correct me if im wrong).

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

10 minutes ago, legolas90 said:

Not to mention lawsuit are expensive here, too much for a GPU to be worth it.

Since they are not obbeying the law, ghey would loose the lawsuit and have to pay all your cost.

But going through paypal is the easiest way.

A backup option is to contact the cards manufacturer directly and explain them your story.

BTW: when this is all done, make sure you, and none of your friends, buy there again. Its the only way to shut down these malicious hardware stores.

Its possible it was a bad card-even with SSD, you do get the occasional one that outright dies suddenly and well before it should. I was going to ask about the PSU-but at 850W and not being of low quality its unlikely that it was at fault.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL