Microsoft renames its free software for students from DreamSpark to Imagine

GoodBytes

If you are a student in engineering or in computer science or other computer related fields, you probably know that most likely your institution or its department that you are in, are registered to Microsoft's free software for students called DreamSpark Premium or, as it used to be called before that, MSNDAA.

Microsoft is renaming the service to: Imagine

image_thumb207.png

There is no change to the service.

DreamSpark Standard is now Microsoft Imagine Standard

DreamSpark Premium is now Microsoft Imagine Premium

Premium joined schools provides to student all Microsoft software, including Windows for free, While Standard has, as before, only some software.

The official date of the change will be Q1 2017.

Microsoft says:

Welcome to Microsoft Imagine In addition to the changes in the student experience, institutions will also see changes, but enjoy the same levels of access as previously; the Microsoft Imagine renaming that replaces DreamSpark is only a branding change.

Microsoft Imagine will be the primary way for schools to put professional developer tools and software in the hands of your faculty and students with a low-cost subscription from Microsoft. 

* Microsoft Imagine Standard replaces DreamSpark Standard

* Microsoft Imagine Premium replaces DreamSpark Premium

* By the end of Q1 FY17, the DreamSpark name will be retired. However, the program benefits will live on as part of the Microsoft Imagine program. No changes have been made to the benefits.  

So if you plan in going into such program or institution part of the program next year, look for Imagine, instead of Dreamspark.

Source: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/uk_faculty_connection/2016/09/09/microsoft-imagine-for-institutions/

do they have an explanation for the change in name?

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

*insert john lennon music here*

imagine all the keys

going to G twoooo-AAAAAA

imagine there's no limits

to how low prices goooo~

/s

in all seriousness, i hope this makes them breathe some new life in the concept of dreamspark as well, because it was rather clunky when i used it last.

Yup, clunky as hell last I used it. Had to use a special link provided by my school and a specific unique login separate from all other school-related authentication. Was awful as hell. If the URL was lost, you'd have to ask for it again because going to the regular site did not work with that login.

Dreamspark was so much cooler. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

how do you even get into the dreamspark program anyways? 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

7 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Yup, clunky as hell last I used it. Had to use a special link provided by my school and a specific unique login separate from all other school-related authentication. Was awful as hell. If the URL was lost, you'd have to ask for it again because going to the regular site did not work with that login.

Yep - it was up to the school to decide how you accessed it. Some schools allowed you to just login using your school email address, or allowed you to just register on the Dreamspark login page without any prior codes or anything.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Yep - it was up to the school to decide how you accessed it. Some schools allowed you to just login using your school email address, or allowed you to just register on the Dreamspark login page without any prior codes or anything.

A lot of Microsoft's services (and other US sites) require .edu mail addresses from what I've noticed. That top-level domain is not used anywhere in continental Europe I think. Most countries use their national top-level domain for all purposes including government and education, so there is no easy way to differentiate unless you whitelist specific domain names. Not sure if this pertains to use of the regular Dreamspark page but could be a reason for these workarounds. The local Microsoft store, for example, provides access to 365 University by selecting your school specifically (and hoping it's on the list) and going through some form of verification (never went through with it, so can't tell the exact details)

14 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

how do you even get into the dreamspark program anyways? 

school subscribes too it, school gives access to it's students

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

school subscribes too it, school gives access to it's students

That's not the only way to gain access. If your school is a participant, you can often register directly through the Dreamspark website, without any need to get any info from your school. It all depends on how your school setup themselves in the system.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

That's not the only way to gain access. If your school is a participant, you can often register directly through the Dreamspark website, without any need to get any info from your school. It all depends on how your school setup themselves in the system.

but the school still has to be a participant and you must have an email from that school

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

10 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

but the school still has to be a participant and you must have an email from that school

Yes both of those are correct - but you don't necessarily have to register through your school or anything - that depends on the specific school.

17 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

actually, no. This is only if your school has a dreamspark premium account your trying to access. My high school does nothing through dreamspark but there is an option to fill a request, I sent then a picture of my high school ID and they granted me dreamspark for like 4 months simply because i proved I go to school, but it expired when the school year ended. I'll probably end up doing it again to get it for this year.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]