What tech stuff have you found laying around?

Brian McKee

I just found me my old Phenom II 965 BE, gonna drop this puppy into my small OEM theater computer once the thermal paste comes here :D

What neat little surprises have you found?

16 mb of ram laying in a closet I found back in highschool.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

well one day i found a sound card on the floor of my room, like a year ago or so, and then i shoved it into my PC, then a while later i found the extention for it and this has all ended up in a ~50W speaker system that i am currently using lol. cant think of much else that fits the neet find catagory other then that tho, does my 2x160GB raid setup count? they were just on my table so i shoved them into my computer and set up whats probably the worst preforming RAID 0 config ever created lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Older HP Server with 8x8GB of ECC RAM was my latest find but I've also run across a bunch of various networking gear over the years.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, christianled59 said:

16 mb of ram laying in a closet I found back in highschool.

Wow and I thought my recent discovery of a stick of 256 mb ram was cool.

Two dell optiplex 3010 machines a catholic school in my area had forgotten about and were getting rid of (they had i5 3470's and 8gb of ram a piece, along side radeon 7470's)

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

I found one of the older iPod Shuffle models on the sidewalk downtown Chicago once. 

As well, I have found quite a few mice that were abandoned/thrown out that were just laying on the ground around the side of my local MicroCenter.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

Just now, Hero7750 said:

Two dell optiplex 3010 machines a catholic school in my area had forgotten about and were getting rid of (they had i5 3470's and 8gb of ram a piece, along side radeon 7470's)

Damn that's an awesome find. What'd you end up doing with them?

once a year my uni gets rid of the OLD stuff but first they leave it next to the entrance for a day so anyone can take home whatever they want. It's mostly broken chairs, miss matched case parts and obsolete peripherals, but if you are lucky you might find something, not that I've ever looked too much 

The best way to measure the quality of a piece of code is "Oh F*** "s per line

7 hours ago, Brian McKee said:

Damn that's an awesome find. What'd you end up doing with them?

Sold one paired with a monitor, keyboard, and mouse for $275 and then took the motherboard, cpu, and RAM out of the other, put them in another case, put an r9 290 in the build, and sold it as a gaming computer. 

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

graphics card, some RAM, keyboard, dvd rom drive, a scrapped computer, and that's about it

I got 3 extra keyboads: logitech g15, g19, and K95 RGB

Asus GTX 680 directcu TOP card

Some random mouses

An original PSP still in box

Nvidia Shield

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

A Thinkpad x61 Tablet with the dock. core2duo 4gb. Use it every day now.