My final build planning thread. Is it good?

Trav_X

This is a PC I'm making probably over this weekend or the next. I'm going to buy parts probably this weekend or even tomorrow or the day after. Tomorrow is my birthday, so this is like a gift to myself almost although I'm only paying for some parts of it. My budget was $1,000 USD, and the main purpose was to make a capable gaming PC to run Ultra settings 60 FPS on my 2560x1080 60hz LG 34UM58-P 21:9 Ultrawide monitor. The other goal of this machine was to allow me to record 1080p 60FPS ultra settings gameplay to put on my YouTube channel. Also, I'm getting into more intense video editing, photo editing, probably do some Folding@Home on the LTT team, and also work in some 3D modeling and CAD since I took a very interesting graphics design class last year. Please give me any suggestions.

If you're wondering about the PNY graphics card, I can personally speak for their quality, since I currently own a 750Ti from PNY and the build quality is very nice. The 230T I already own, and yes, Orange is an eye sore in this build but my upgrade path currently would be New Case->Better CPU cooler (non-liquid)->More Storage->More RAM. Give me all your suggestions people. This is mainly a gaming/workstation build, keep that in mind, I'll be doing most of my work, typing, projects, and editing on this machine. X99 for the win!

Also noteworthy: I don't play any new AAA titles like Witcher, Crysis, Hitman, etc. My main titles are CSGO, TF2, Smite, GTAV (which is probably the hardest game I'll run), CoD, and Rocket League. I like pixelated graphics indie games, which are runnable on a toaster. Literally the easiest titles which I can already run 60FPS on my Laptop, but it heats up and is quite loud. I do plan on getting some new games like Infinite Warfare, BF1, and some other games.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($319.99) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Asus X99-E ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($209.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($65.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.49 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Video Card  ($249.99 @ Best Buy) 
Case: Corsair Graphite Series 230T Orange ATX Mid Tower Case  ($0.00) 
Power Supply: Rosewill 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($64.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $988.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-07 21:47 EDT-0400

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

Do you not have an SSD?

If not, I would recommend either spending the extra money to get one, or even compromising other parts of your build.

also, that CPU is overkill for that GPU. unless you plan on upgrading your GPU in the future, or are doing some heavy rendering, get a 6700K

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

17 minutes ago, Trav_X said:

Pretty solid IMO. I actually forced my robotics team to buy a computer with a overclocked 5820k for CAD because 4 cores honestly isn't enough sometimes with heavy cpu-based number-crunching. I think you already said it for yourself, but a better cooler would be good for that build just to get the most out of that processor.

I highly suggest a seperate OS SSD since you are looking at a ton of intensive tasks.

RIG used for gaming, school and CAD: Here (old   here) 
|| i7-4790k @4.6 || Corsair H60 || Asus Z97-E USB 3.1 || 16GB DDR3-1866 G.Skill Sniper || Asus R9 280X || Corsair Carbide SPEC-01 Red || Corsair CX550M || Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD || Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD ||

32 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Do you not have an SSD?

If not, I would recommend either spending the extra money to get one, or even compromising other parts of your build.

also, that CPU is overkill for that GPU. unless you plan on upgrading your GPU in the future, or are doing some heavy rendering, get a 6700K

Well, I do plan on doing a lot more workstation type tasks now. I know, the GPU is quite underpowered compared to the CPU, but right now, I'm only playing on 2560x1080 for the next few months probably until Summer 2017 at least. The 1060 crushes at 1080p and would do the same at my 21:9 resolution, considering the easy to run games I play. A 970M can run almost max settings 60FPS at that res, so a 1060 should be no problem. Once I reach Ultra Settings 60FPS, a better video card wouldn't make any visual difference.

and about the SSD, load times have never been a deal to me with a hard drive, still takes less than a minute. Is there software to move a Windows install to an SSD from a hard drive? Cause I would just buy an SSD down the line.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

24 minutes ago, rawk5000 said:

Pretty solid IMO. I actually forced my robotics team to buy a computer with a overclocked 5820k for CAD because 4 cores honestly isn't enough sometimes with heavy cpu-based number-crunching. I think you already said it for yourself, but a better cooler would be good for that build just to get the most out of that processor.

I highly suggest a seperate OS SSD since you are looking at a ton of intensive tasks.

I'd consider one. Can i move a Windows install to an SSD if I buy one in the future?

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

59 minutes ago, Trav_X said:

I'd consider one. Can i move a Windows install to an SSD if I buy one in the future?

Yes you can. It's easier if you do it at the beginning though, and it is easier if you buy an SSD the same size as the used space on your HDD.

if you've filled up 284GB on your SSD, you should either delete enough files to get your HDD down to 250, and buy a 250GB SSD, or buy a 284GB+ SSD to clone everything easily.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

14 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

Yes you can. It's easier if you do it at the beginning though, and it is easier if you buy an SSD the same size as the used space on your HDD.

if you've filled up 284GB on your SSD, you should either delete enough files to get your HDD down to 250, and buy a 250GB SSD, or buy a 284GB+ SSD to clone everything easily.

Yea, if I switched,I would probably uninstall my games since their saves are all on the steam cloud and only transfer windows and a few tiny applications.

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6