Could someone explain Intel's naming method?

Hey everyone! So I've been looking at Intel's 6th gen processors and I can't tell how the letter at the end of a processor's name changes what the processor is. I already know that K means that the CPU is unlocked and you can overclock it, but I don't know what letters like R, T, TE, HQ, U, P, and EQ mean. Also, what's with the weird numbers like i5-6685, i5-6286, and i5-6442? Here is what I'm looking at. Any help is welcomed.

Thanks!

Edit: Thanks everyone for the help!

Edited by Macks

Just now, Macks said:

Hey everyone! So I've been looking at Intel's 6th gen processors and I can't tell how the letter at the end of a processor's name changes what the processor is. I already know that K means that the CPU is unlocked and you can overclock it, but I don't know what letters like R, T, TE, HQ, U, P, and EQ mean. Also, what's with the weird numbers like i5-6685, i5-6286, and i5-6442? Here is what I'm looking at. Any help is welcomed.

Thanks!

Vpro is for programmers mostly. Intel active management technology, HQ is for laptop processors that are over clockable. U is also for laptop processors, just a smidge of a higher tier than the ones without U's but lower than HQ's 

3 minutes ago, Macks said:

Also, what's with the weird numbers like i5-6685, i5-6286, and i5-6442?

Honestly, all hardware companies need to fix their naming schemes; they don't make sense.

I'mma steal this from a thing I wrote a while ago:

An example part can look like this:

Core i7-6700HQ

The parts in bold/underline are what’s most important to look at. Right off this tells me it’s a high-end processor in its class (i7), that’s of the 6th generation “Core” processor, and HQ means it mobile, quad-core part.

In general, the higher the “i” number and generation number, the more it performs and features it has. The letters are a different story, but Intel is consistent with them (this isn’t a comprehensive, it just has the ones you’re most likely going to encounter):

• [No Letter] - A desktop class part with no special features.
  • E - Embedded systems part
  • H - Mobile part.
  • K - Multipler is unlocked, allowing for easier overclocking.
  • M - Mobile part.
  • Q - Quad core mobile part. Note: This can trip you up if you aren’t careful. If you think a Core i7 is always a quad core part, you’ll be in for a surprise if you get a laptop with a Core i7-6500U as it’s a dual-core part.
  • R - Contains the Iris Pro GPU
  • S - Low power desktop part. Seems to be fallen out of use in Skylake (6th generation), due to the no letter desktop part having the same power rating as the S part.
  • T - Lower power desktop part.
  • U - Low power part, usually for Ultrabooks or 2-in-1's
  • X - Extreme part, the highest-end on the consumer spectrum.
  • Y - Ultra low power part, usually for tablets

The 700 is what Intel refers to as the “SKU” number. This breaks down further and worse, can be confusing. The number in the hundreds digit (7) is yet another tier level, the higher the better. However, the tens and ones digits have no clear pattern. A higher number can mean worse specs in one lineup, while a lower number can mean worse specs in another. The difference is usually too small to be appreciable.

In other words, determining what you’re getting in an Intel processor requires research. Bad move Intel, bad move. Thankfully Intel does catalog everything, so a Google search will get you what you want.

3 minutes ago, gtx1060=value said:

HQ is for laptop processors that are over clockable.

I disagree. According to Intel's page, the H means "High performance graphics," where the Q means "quad core."

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/processor-numbers.html

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

5 minutes ago, gtx1060=value said:

Vpro is for programmers mostly. Intel active management technology, HQ is for laptop processors that are over clockable. U is also for laptop processors, just a smidge of a higher tier than the ones without U's but lower than HQ's 

Vpro is for it, its basically impi

HQ is highpower laptops

HK is overclockable laptop

U is for ultrabook

There are no laptop cpu's with out a letter

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I disagree. According to Intel's page, the H means "High performance graphics," where the Q means "quad core."

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/processor-numbers.html

I honestly have no idea if both are true. My 6700Hq is overclockable and my friends 6600u isn't. So i just assumed that HQ was the K version but for laptops

it seems to be a trend for manufactuers to name their products the EXACT same as last years products

e.g 

The Razer Blade Stealth (2014)

The Razer Blade Stealth (2016)

see what i mean....

it gets confusing, use ark.intel.com , intel puts every processer they have made on there and list the specs

the oldest one their is a Intel® Celeron® Processor

http://ark.intel.com/products/27187/Intel-Celeron-Processor-433-MHz-128K-Cache-66-MHz-FSB

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!