Linus needs to read this !!

Just now, Space Reptile said:

nope , its on the gpu itself , or are you talking gpu bios? im shure they have a hadware shutoff tho , non software/bios

The firmware controlling the card is what tells it to shut off. I'm pretty sure it's impossible for the silicon itself to detect the temperature.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Just now, NavyCuda said:

So if you do manage to make a custom bios for it, how will you address the melting point of the solder?  Convincing a board to stay functioning long enough to reach the flash of any of the components is mostly a pipe dream.

Set temp limit to 40000000 and set the voltage to 5? You'd fry the motherboard and PSU but still :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

4 hours ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Anyway, I think that's a terrible idea for a video. It's not a review, not a guide, not informative, not helpful in any way, not even particularly entertaining. Just destructive.

I'm sure that if you dig long enough, you'd find videos that:

1) Don't go in any of mentioned categories

2) Are even more useless than the idea at hand

For instance:

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

The chances are that the silicon will simply stop working long before anything catches fire or does anything more interesting than give off some smoke.

More interesting may be to get an old Pentium 2/3 machine, get it running under high load with some older games, and over-volt the 5v rail slowly and see what pops first.

50 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

The chances are that the silicon will simply stop working long before anything catches fire or does anything more interesting than give off some smoke.

More interesting may be to get an old Pentium 2/3 machine, get it running under high load with some older games, and over-volt the 5v rail slowly and see what pops first.

Yeah surely the gpu would just die before it caught fire

It would just die, couple of things to keep in mind.

You need more than heat, with just pure heat it would very likely melt and that's it.

Also if something shorts out and is a potential firestarter, the PSU would just flip into protection and nothing would happen.

In the ideal case you have a overheating gpu, powered by a cheap-ass psu and the gpu causes a short and the PSU explodes.

Which is also stupidly dangerous and in the worst case, you die.

Sounds good, but it's stupidly dangerous and not a good idea.

It's like mythbusters, if you want a bang, you have to get rid of all the safety measures which is stupid because if you do that and aren't careful, you might die.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 hour ago, TheRandomness said:

The firmware controlling the card is what tells it to shut off. I'm pretty sure it's impossible for the silicon itself to detect the temperature.

I'm not sure if GPUs actually implement it, but it is entirely feasible to detect the temperature in silicon and, in fact, it wouldn't be very hard to do at all. Instead of the sensor data going straight to some MCU or whatever the firmware is run on, it would go to a dedicated circuit whose entire job it is to take that value and see if it's above a threshold. It would add the overhead of essentially one comparator and some extra control logic to deal with the comparator signaling that things are too hot, which in the scale of the entire GPU, is almost entirely negligible.

It may just be that the firmware threshold is typically set to be below this hardware threshold. Doesn't mean there is or isn't one, though.

5 hours ago, Petar_99 said:

I just had an amazing idea for a video, what if you could remove the temp limit of a video card and run if maxed out without cooling to see if it could set on fire. That would be the coolest video ever. Maybe like an older card would be able to do this. Please can we try get this idea through to Linus. 

lol well, he does have that GTX 480... /s

But actually, that's not how it works... fire needs fuel, heat, and air.  The "fuel" part would be missing in this case since metal does not burn (well, not at those temperatures/in those conditions)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Now that does sound good. If anyone can destroy hardware it's our man Linus.

5 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

I'm sure that if you dig long enough, you'd find videos that:

1) Don't go in any of mentioned categories

2) Are even more useless than the idea at hand

For instance:

You know, the sad thing is that the last two were some of my favorite LMG videos.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!