i3 6100 vs FX6300: Budget video editing possible?

Go to solution Solved by SnowyMus,
24 minutes ago, The Sun said:

Fair enough. Is there any way I could overclock it, squeeze out some extra performance ?

Not officially, though some boards may offer this option. If you want to overclock, I'd save a little bit and get an FX-8350. While you don't have an upgrade option with an FX-8350 like you would with an i3-6100, it's still quite a bit cheaper than an i5. The FX processors are getting to be pretty old, after all.

I wouldn't get an FX-6300 for rendering, though. You're better off with an Intel Core i3-6100 or an eight-core FX processor if you can't afford an i5.

52 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

That is Cinebench, not Adobe Premiere Pro. 

Cinebench is a reliable benchmark. Random youtuber running random video through Premiere Pro is not.

5 hours ago, Alexokan said:

OC the FX to oblivion, pray it doesn't melt your motherboard and enjoy 5% faster render times. 

WIN.

Also, dead platform, for extra win. 

FX 6100 @ 4.6 ( 1.4625vcc bc im lazy) , on air (Zalman CNPS 9500)  , under 60c when load (w/ proper sensors)

yo.jpgit fast ♪~ ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

But BTT , get the I3 , get a z170 and enjoy a Plattform that is not already phased out and can be upgraded to an i5 6600k/i7 6700k wich will last you for atleast 3 years 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

11 hours ago, Space Reptile said:

FX 6100 @ 4.6 ( 1.4625vcc bc im lazy) , on air (Zalman CNPS 9500)  , under 60c when load (w/ proper sensors)

yo.jpgit fast ♪~ ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

But BTT , get the I3 , get a z170 and enjoy a Plattform that is not already phased out and can be upgraded to an i5 6600k/i7 6700k wich will last you for atleast 3 years 

not sure what you trying to show?

the Fx-6300 is also about 10% better IPC than the FX-6100 right off the line. 

Just now, Alexokan said:

not sure what you trying to show?

the Fx-6300 is also about 10% better IPC than the FX-6100 right off the line. 

it was on the topic of "oc to oblivion" 

and according to userbenchmark i have the 4th fastest FX 6100 in the world (out of ~ 3500 tested) 

just a little ot showoff bc i cant help myself 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

On 7.09.2016 at 2:49 PM, Kavawuvi said:

Not officially, though some boards may offer this option. If you want to overclock, I'd save a little bit and get an FX-8350. While you don't have an upgrade option with an FX-8350 like you would with an i3-6100, it's still quite a bit cheaper than an i5. The FX processors are getting to be pretty old, after all.

I wouldn't get an FX-6300 for rendering, though. You're better off with an Intel Core i3-6100 or an eight-core FX processor if you can't afford an i5.

FX-8350 would be faster than any i5 besides an OC'd 6600K in video editing. Age has nothing to do with speed, look at the 3930K. 6 cores 12 threads and it's 16% faster overall than a brand new 6700K. FX-line is exceptionally good at multitasking at its price point and the FX-6300 would wreck an i3-6100 at video editing, as it's up to 25% faster if OC'd, across all cores.

As for OP, if you're on a budget get the FX-6350, it comes with the Wrath cooler that will allow for some overclocking without being forced to buy an aftermarket cooler.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

2 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

FX-6300 would wreck an i3-6100 at video editing, as it's up to 25% faster if OC'd, across all cores.

Love the name xD

I already have a rig with the FX6300 installed and a mobo with a rudimentary Legacy BIOS (M5A78L-M/USB3, a choice I'm regretting for a ton of reasons). I have a stable OC at about 4.2 GHz (Liquid cooler installed). You're saying It'd beat out a newer generation processor with a much better architecture at a much lower TDP? Just making, coz I don't want to end up regretting taking a decision, and based on videos andd articles I've seen, the i3 looks like maybe a better choice.

1 hour ago, The Sun said:

Love the name xD

I already have a rig with the FX6300 installed and a mobo with a rudimentary Legacy BIOS (M5A78L-M/USB3, a choice I'm regretting for a ton of reasons). I have a stable OC at about 4.2 GHz (Liquid cooler installed). You're saying It'd beat out a newer generation processor with a much better architecture at a much lower TDP? Just making, coz I don't want to end up regretting taking a decision, and based on videos andd articles I've seen, the i3 looks like maybe a better choice.

Thanks :P I kind of know a lot about FX-based platforms, so here's what I've got to say:

1. i3s are not meant for any kinds of heavy tasks. FX-6300 will beat it at video editing and other heavily multithreaded tasks such as streaming, it's simply cause three Piledriver modules, two cores each that are inside the FX-6300 beat two hyperthreaded Haswell/Skylake cores when it comes to raw power by at least 20%, of course FX-6300 is significantly slower single-threaded wise, but editing and rendering aren't single-threaded. If you want to speed up rendering/editing times, I'm afraid you've got to upgrade the entire platform to an i7, which is a costly upgrade.

2. Unfortunately, you cannot upgrade to FX-8350 which would improve rendering times significantly because of a crappy motherboard, the VRMs would rather burn than support FX-8350, let alone allow to overclock it.

3. If you've got a specified budget, I might just help you improve your experience with editing etc. i3-6100 would literally slow those things down.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 hour ago, Morgan MLGman said:

If you've got a specified budget, I might just help you improve your experience with editing etc. i3-6100 would literally slow those things down.

I do have a specific budget.

At this point I suppose it's all going into build help territory, but my friend is in a media college, and needs a rig on the cheap ($375 after converting, as I stay in India). I managed to convince him a crappy, thermal throttling laptop was not the way to go. So the question of how to build the rig came up. I'll be more than happy if you can squeeze in a better performing CPU in this budget while leaving room for RAM and other stuff

6 minutes ago, The Sun said:

I do have a specific budget.

At this point I suppose it's all going into build help territory, but my friend is in a media college, and needs a rig on the cheap ($375 after converting, as I stay in India). I managed to convince him a crappy, thermal throttling laptop was not the way to go. So the question of how to build the rig came up. I'll be more than happy if you can squeeze in a better performing CPU in this budget while leaving room for RAM and other stuff

If you tell me how much can you spend, what parts do you need and what will be the PC used for, I might help you :)

btw. Does buying used work for you?

$375 is the budget. The rig is meant to be used almost exclusively for video editing and Photoshop, and must have at least 8gigs of RAM. 

As far as used parts go, they aren't exactly abundant in the Indian market. If you know of a place I can get used parts in India at a good price, well that'd be perfect xD

for ₹25,000 i don't think you can get fx octa core 8320e is for 11k in india .... that's like half you budget 

your best bet will be fx-6300 which is about ₹8-8.5k .....

edit: found for 8k on mdcomputers.in 

http://mdcomputers.in/processor-1381904142/amd-fx-series-hexa-core-processor-fx-6300-with-am3-socket-8mb-cache-up-to-4-10-ghz.html?sort=p.price&order=ASC

21 hours ago, Tim Serious said:

for ₹25,000 i don't think you can get fx octa core 8320e is for 11k in india .... that's like half you budget 

your best bet will be fx-6300 which is about ₹8-8.5k .....

I've done that research on price. Amazon lists the FX6300 for around 8k as well.

It seems according to others on this thread that the FX6300 will suit my needs better than the i3 6100 (which btw is 9k, so just a little costlier).

So going back to MorganMLGman xD , I guess my next question is what other components can I buy with the money left over.

1 hour ago, The Sun said:

I've done that research on price. Amazon lists the FX6300 for around 8k as well.

It seems according to others on this thread that the FX6300 will suit my needs better than the i3 6100 (which btw is 9k, so just a little costlier).

So going back to MorganMLGman xD , I guess my next question is what other components can I buy with the money left over.

i don't know much about amd fx 6300 and which chipset motherboard it supports..... i will recommend start a new thread and .... write in it that u are going with fx-6300 and u don't need i3 ...... ur budget is so and so ..... specify in us$ as well as in INR ....