Sorry for being a noob but, what CPU would go nicely with a Radeon RX 470?

I've been planning a budget build and I'm not quite sure which CPU to get. I've been thinking to get a AMD FX 8350 but I'm scared it will bottleneck the GPU.

An 8350 is slow but it's not like the RX 470 is ridiculously powerful. Basically anything that has four cores and a "modern" architecture is fine.

Just keep in mind you're stuck with it and might have to replace it if you plan to upgrade any time soon.

i5-6500 but kabylake is meant to be out soon

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Don't get a AMD CPU if you'll buy it rn, if you can wait, wait until Zen CPUs arrive, if not, go for Intel. Any i5 would go well with it if you don't plan to play mostly CPU intensive games, stream or render videos.

CPU: i5 10600KFMotherboard: Asus B460M-Plus | Cooling: Gamemmaxx 400 XT w/ Corsair ML120 Elite + 1 ML120 Elite exhaust + 2 ML140 Elite intake

RAM: 2x16GB Netac DDR4 3200MT/s @2666CL13 | GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual +200/+1200MHz/+5%

Storage: 2TB XPG S70 Blade, WD Blue NVMe 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TBPSU: Corsair TX550M

Monitor: 2x Pichau Cepheus Fuse 28" 4k 144Hz HDR | Keyboard: Corsair K70 mk.2 Cherry MX Red

Headphone/headset: Kuba Disco Pro/Gamer + Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro | OS: Windows 11 Home

Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB + Ugreen Vertical MouseCase: Corsair Carbide 400C

Ahh alright guys. So I'm guessing it will be better to wait for the next generation CPUs to see if they're budget and then get them.

1 minute ago, slomo007 said:

Ahh alright guys. So I'm guessing it will be better to wait for the next generation CPUs to see if they're budget and then get them.

It would be a good idea as new intel cpus are expected later this month and new amd cpus are expected after christmas so Id wait , save up a bit more pennies and see what the new cpus have to offer at your price-point

Just now, slomo007 said:

depends on your actual budget, I`d go for Intel, cuz Zen may take a while

to game or not to game, that`s the question

3 minutes ago, slomo007 said:

If not then an i5 6400/6402p/6500 are great choices for budget oriented gamers (yes I recommend at least an i5...not i3 ;))

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

7 minutes ago, slomo007 said:

The next generation of Intel CPUs will probably be 5–8% faster per clock, just as they have been for the last four or five generations. They will likely fill in the same price points current CPUs do: i.e. there will be $300–350 i7's, $180–250 i5's, $120–$150 i3's, and so forth. We also don't really know exactly when Kaby Lake is coming, so you might be waiting a while.

The best CPU for you is the best one you can afford. That's kind of a cheap answer, I know, but I'd say if you can afford an i5-6500/6600/6600K, it's worth having. If you want something cheaper, I'd recommend the i3-6100. It's usually as fast or faster than an FX-8350, and at least gives you the option to upgrade later.

1 minute ago, UnlimitedTMD said:

depends on your actual budget, I`d go for Intel, cuz Zen may take a while

Id wait coz if amd are lining up a cpu as bang-for-the-buck as the rx 480 is then...

Just now, socks&sandals said:

Id wait coz if amd are lining up a cpu as bang-for-the-buck as the rx 480 is then...

I know they are, but if he already has the 470 and wants to use his computer it would be nice if he'd be able to use it within half a year (maybe even longer).

Zen doesn`t even have a release date yet.

I would go for an i5, if he wants to use his machine asap

Just now, UnlimitedTMD said:

I know they are, but if he already has the 470 and wants to use his computer it would be nice if he'd be able to use it within half a year (maybe even longer).

I can wait if I need to. I'd rather wait than get a worse CPU and then see better CPUs which are better and cost around the same.

Just now, UnlimitedTMD said:

Good point , depending on the OP's budget coz for all we know he could be able to afford a 6950x ?

1 minute ago, socks&sandals said:

Good point , depending on the OP's budget coz for all we know he could be able to afford a 6950x ?

Well, I would like my CPU to be around £150.

Just now, slomo007 said:

I can wait if I need to. I'd rather wait than get a worse CPU and then see better CPUs which are better and cost around the same.

I don`t think you`re going to see better CPU's, but they may give roughly the same performance for a lower price.

But you can also wait 'till 2020 and get the new 9600K, but that would be quite a long wait. Meaning: don't wait to long, technology is evolving constantly

1 minute ago, UnlimitedTMD said:

I don`t think you`re going to see better CPU's, but they may give roughly the same performance for a lower price.

But you can also wait 'till 2020 and get the new 9600K, but that would be quite a long wait. Meaning: don't wait to long, technology is evolving constantly

I know but a newer CPU generation is around the corner and I would like to see what's around the corner.