Logitech announces new Prodigy peripherals lineup

nobelharvards

http://blog.logitech.com/2016/09/01/introducing-new-logitech-g-prodigy-series/

Prodigy-Asset_resized.jpg

Our goal with the Prodigy series is to make gaming gear that is simple and easy-to-use, but still includes the amazing technology and delivers the incredible performance you’ll find in our flagship products.

The Logitech G403 Prodigy Gaming Mouse, the Logitech G213 Prodigy RGB Gaming Keyboard and the Logitech G231 Prodigy Gaming Headset all have a suggested retail price of $69.99, and the G403 Prodigy Wireless Gaming mouse has a suggested retail price of $99.99 at gaming.logitech.com.

G231 headset

Nothing special, looks like the typical mediocre microphone paired with mediocre headphones that WOULD be worth less when bought separately, but have "gaming" slapped onto it and the price jacked up. Nothing to stand out from the other "gaming" headsets a lot of other companies have.

They say the earpads are easily removed and can be washed. That's the only thing I like about it.

I am not sure who they are trying to sell this headset to. Smarter consumers know it is better value to buy a separate professional non gaming oriented microphone and headphones. Children and teenagers may not know that and like RGB, but this headset does not even have RGB. Meh.

G213 keyboard

Similar idea that SteelSeries and Cooler Master have tried before. A supposedly "higher quality" membrane keyboard with slightly upped specs in some areas, and RGB lighting. Nothing special.

The palm rest is non detachable.

Has dedicated media controls in the top right, but does not have a volume wheel, has 2 buttons for decreasing and increasing volume instead.

The mice

G403 wireless is 107 grams with an optional 10 gram weight (117 grams).

G403 wired is 87 grams with an optional 10 gram weight (97 grams).

The 10 gram weight is put into a little compartment with a cover that is held in by magnets. The compartment for the weight is towards the back.

Spoiler

logitech-g403-prodigy-mouse-bottom-1500x

Speculation: The placement of that weight compartment may mean that removing the weight will unbalance the mouse and make the weight feel biased towards the front, meaning even people who prefer lighter mice may be forced to keep the weight in to retain a balanced feel. Quite unfortunate, as 90 grams is around the upper limit for most people prefering light mice. I have not tested this mouse personally. This is speculation.

Has rubber side grips. Right handed "ergonomic" design. Same spring tensioned buttons (segmented from shell) and PWM3366 you find in the G Pro, G303, G502, G900, etc.

I hope Logitech used higher quality rubber for the side grips. There are a number of notable stories on the internet of people claiming their SteelSeries rubber side grips wore out faster than expected.

Spoiler

rrlM5gq.jpg

qhiBQpF.jpg

Both versions of the G403 look similar to regular office mice (with the RGB lighting off) outside of a close inspection.

If the G403 wireless performance is ungimped and is the full fat you get in the G900 with the cost differences being the fewer buttons, then I can imagine it being quite popular amongst the more casual audience. Logitech's amazing wireless performance that is outperformed only by their own wired mice at a slightly less painful price point? Sure.

The G403 wired seems to be similar to the G Pro. Lightweight and minimalistic.

Essentially a G Pro with the same internals,  ~5 gram increase (without the weight), and a larger "ergonomic" shell in comparison to the G Pro "ambidextrous" design.

Ergonomic and ambidextrous are in quotation marks because the G Pro does not cater to left handers, it only has side buttons on the left side. The terms are used to refer to the shape being symmetric or asymmetric.

I think the G403 wired and G Pro are going to join the Nixeus Revel and DM1 Pro S as excellent lightweight gaming mice with the latest sensor on the market (3366/0).

I can see these 4 mice eating into (what was) Zowie's niche.

The G403 wireless is still a lot at $100. At that point I think I'd rather spend the extra $50 and get a G900.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

12 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

The G403 wireless is still a lot at $100. At that point I think I'd rather spend the extra $50 and get a G900.

at what added benefit? not trying to argue. just curious.

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

10 minutes ago, SlipperyPete said:

at what added benefit? not trying to argue. just curious.

G900 is a "true" ambidextrous design.

There are modular components included with the G900. You can have side buttons on both sides, only left side, only right side or none.

G403 has a more "mainstream" approach. It only has 2 side buttons on the left side (excluding the traditional scroll wheel + left and right click) and a CPI button.

G900 has 2 buttons for CPI. One for going to the lower step, other one for going to the higher step.

G403 has only one CPI button to cycle through all the steps.

G900 has a more complex scroll wheel design. It is large, and has distinct notches when scrolled in "regular" mode. There is a button below the scroll wheel. When pressed, the scroll wheel goes into "free wheel" mode and you can hyper scroll very fast through spreadsheets. This is also found on the G502. It adds a fair bit to the weight though (~15 grams) because I believe it is made of metal? Compared to the single scroll plastic wheels that most of the lighter gaming mice and generic office mice have (~1 gram).

The G900 is in a similar category to the G502. Has a few gimmicks that are mainly useful for productivity instead of gaming. Both the G502 and G900 can be considered in between their productivity mice (e.g. MX Master) and their lightweight gaming minimalistic mice (G303, G Pro, and now, G403).

Think this is more geared towards a casual audience. There's no way in hell I would ever buy any of these. All I had to see was that they took away buttons on the mouse for me to not be interested.

The gpro and g403 are the first usable shape, non gimmicky mice logitech have made since the g400s. How in the world are people looking at these mice like they are casual bait. People seem to think that if it doesn't look like an exploding rubix cube and have 32 buttons it must not be good. 

4770k @4.4 / 16GB @2400 / Plextor MP5X 128GB / MSI Mpower Z87 / MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC / AX860 / XSPC RX240 & EX240 / Koolance 380i / CM 690 II / Qnix 1440p @96Hz / Benq XL2420G

Current Status: Mourning the loss of my 780 ti 

I see they are aiming at Zowie with the G403 and the G Pro and this is great since they are way superior than Zowie's current offerings.

By the way, the grips on my Rival are fine and it's not from the late batches, so the grips are with the little dots that supposedly wear out. As far as I'm aware the issue only affects the black model.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

Oh would you look at the time,

It's lawsuit o-clock

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I still feel that my old steel series sensei is better than my new bought g502........

Am I the only one? 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

23 hours ago, nobelharvards said:

G900 is a "true" ambidextrous design.

There are modular components included with the G900. You can have side buttons on both sides, only left side, only right side or none.

G403 has a more "mainstream" approach. It only has 2 side buttons on the left side (excluding the traditional scroll wheel + left and right click) and a CPI button.

G900 has 2 buttons for CPI. One for going to the lower step, other one for going to the higher step.

G403 has only one CPI button to cycle through all the steps.

G900 has a more complex scroll wheel design. It is large, and has distinct notches when scrolled in "regular" mode. There is a button below the scroll wheel. When pressed, the scroll wheel goes into "free wheel" mode and you can hyper scroll very fast through spreadsheets. This is also found on the G502. It adds a fair bit to the weight though (~15 grams) because I believe it is made of metal? Compared to the single scroll plastic wheels that most of the lighter gaming mice and generic office mice have (~1 gram).

The G900 is in a similar category to the G502. Has a few gimmicks that are mainly useful for productivity instead of gaming. Both the G502 and G900 can be considered in between their productivity mice (e.g. MX Master) and their lightweight gaming minimalistic mice (G303, G Pro, and now, G403).

good points. i had no idea that the g900 had infinite scrolling. very cool

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

Mouse is good, great sensor. KB looks to be decent too, nice RGB addition though non-removable wrist rest is bad. That headset is ok and fine, tried similar one. 

Though yeah, bit pricey. 

I have G502 Chaos Spectrum and I like it, using it without any weights. Cooler Master Trigger Z for my KB with brown switches. HyperX Cloud original headset.

Those are all excellent peripherals and don't cost that much for what they offer and quality.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

19 hours ago, Equlix said:

The gpro and g403 are the first usable shape, non gimmicky mice logitech have made since the g400s. How in the world are people looking at these mice like they are casual bait. People seem to think that if it doesn't look like an exploding rubix cube and have 32 buttons it must not be good. 

Buttons are not a gimmick. I use all the buttons on my G400S when I play Guild Wars 2. Palm grip users need to get special MMO type mice in order to get usable buttons, but fingertip users can just get regular gaming mice as their fingers are already in range of the buttons. Also, fingertip users don't really have much of a choice as they can't use normal MMO mice due to how they hold the mouse.