Runing 850 Evo 1tb singel drive

Redsiskin

i want to buy 850 EVO 1tb and use it as only drive on my pc

but everyone i ask recommend to use also HDD.

so i dont sure what to do , how you guys use the ssd ?

now i use WD HDD 1.5tb sata 3mbs

recently upgraded all the system to asus x99 with 6800k and it hangs and freeze i think its the HDD cuseing it

“When the last tree is cut down, the last fish eaten and the last stream poisoned, you will realize that you cannot eat money.”

1 minute ago, Redsiskin said:

i want to buy 850 EVO 1tb and use it as only drive on my pc

but everyone i ask recommend to use also HDD.

so i dont sure what to do , how you guys use the ssd ?

Most people have a smaller SSD for games and basic application, and a HDD for the rest of their applications. No reason not to have 1 SSD drive instead of a HDD if you have the money, just most people chose to save money and buy a cheaper HDD. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

1 minute ago, rn8686 said:

Most people have a smaller SSD for games and basic application, and a HDD for the rest of their applications. No reason not to have 1 SSD drive instead of a HDD if you have the money, just most people chose to save money and buy a cheaper HDD. 

It's also nice having a drive just for the OS and then having another drive for everything else (games, saves, other files, etc...). That way you can create a fresh install without having to reinstall an entire steam library or redownload all your music, pictures, movies, etc... 

With that said, not everyone reinstall frequently and/or has large steam libraries. I'm certainly not advocating against using a single 1tb SSD, just that there are reasons to having a separate drive for the OS. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

so according to you i better split it to 2 SSD 512 ...1 for my gaming 1 for OS ? something you would have done ?

“When the last tree is cut down, the last fish eaten and the last stream poisoned, you will realize that you cannot eat money.”

Do you need more than 1TB of storage? Do you have hundreds of games and huge videos?

If 1TB is enough, you don't need any second drive. Just put everything on the SSD and everything will be fast :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Do you need more than 1TB of storage? Do you have hundreds of games and huge videos?

If 1TB is enough, you don't need any second drive. Just put everything on the SSD and everything will be fast :)

this is the goal but i ppl i asked say its not recommended idk whyso i asked here :). 1 thing i am sure of is that i need new drive even HDD with sata6 will be faster then current sata3 i have

sata6?

3 minutes ago, Redsiskin said:

this is the goal but i ppl i asked say its not recommended idk whyso i asked here :). 1 thing i am sure of is that i need new drive even HDD with sata6 will be faster then current sata3 i have

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

4 minutes ago, Redsiskin said:

HDD speed isn't affected by Sata6 vs Sata3 (Sata II vs Sata III).

That said, my PC is 100% SSD and I haven't regretted a second of dumping my HDDs. The snappiness, the lack of noise (HDD noise actually was a huge issue when I was playing movies... Games it didn't matter).

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

my model is WD1501FASS-00W2B not sure what SATA type.:D anyway thanks i will get SSD 1 drive setup enough for me i only have 5 games on steam and i only format the pc once in a year.

15 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

HDD speed isn't affected by Sata6 vs Sata3 (Sata II vs Sata III).

That said, my PC is 100% SSD and I haven't regretted a second of dumping my HDDs. The snappiness, the lack of noise (HDD noise actually was a huge issue when I was playing movies... Games it didn't matter).

27 minutes ago, Redsiskin said:

Usually people are cheap and go with a tiny SSD, then need more space and buy a large HDD.

If you can afford a large SSD there is no reason to buy a HDD :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

how many years SSD last ?

2 minutes ago, Redsiskin said:

how many years SSD last ?

10+ if you get a good one like a 850EVO.

Spoiler

that a lot. thank you very much , you are very helpful man^_^