Rigid Tubing Newbie Question?

Go to solution Solved by W-L,
6 minutes ago, DrJones said:

-SNIP-

Yes that is fine as long as the tubing has seated past both orings mainly he lower one and the compression rings seals properly with the top one to hold it in place. For chamfering the inside as long as you get rid of the burr you will be ok. 

Hey guys! So I'm new when it comes to rigid tubing.

Today I was putting the tube in for my SLI graphics cards. At first I cut it too long, so I cut a second one about 5mm shorter.

Here's my question: The tube just needs to slide in past the two O-rings, right? It doesn't have to make it all the way to the stop at the end of the fitting? Reason I'm asking is when I installed the shorter tube, it's a really nice fit IMO, makes it past both O-rings on each fitting, but doesn't quite make it to the "stop" at the end of one, it's maybe 1-2mm short. Is this OK, since the O-rings are what makes the seal? It's not loose, fits tight. I'm using BitsPower 12mm OD fittings.

I'd like to add too, that after chamfering the ends of the PETG, it was impossible to get the inside completely smooth like the outside with the sandpaper, is this OK?

6 minutes ago, DrJones said:

-SNIP-

Yes that is fine as long as the tubing has seated past both orings mainly he lower one and the compression rings seals properly with the top one to hold it in place. For chamfering the inside as long as you get rid of the burr you will be ok. 

Just the two o-rings.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

18 minutes ago, W-L said:

Yep compression is fastened tight, and by burr do you mean a non-chamfered edge or the debris, or both? Either way I'm good there :) 

16 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Just the two o-rings.

No 1 o ring. 2 is for certain spots which is prone to leaking.

15 minutes ago, DrJones said:

Yep compression is fastened tight, and by burr do you mean a non-chamfered edge or the debris, or both? Either way I'm good there :) 

Mainly just the debris on the interior side the more important thing is the exterior to ensure it doesn't cut into the oring.

Just now, W-L said:

Mainly just the debris on the interior side the more important thing is the exterior to ensure it doesn't cut into the oring.

Okay, yeah I was able to get the outside smooth because I know how it can cut the o-ring.

The inside is just rough because I couldn't get the sandpaper in there very well (it's a10/12mm tube so it's pretty small), but I got most of the large debris out, then blew out excess dust with canned air

1 hour ago, xgn said:

No 1 o ring. 2 is for certain spots which is prone to leaking.

Unless the fittings you are using are specifically 1 ring low profile fittings like the ones from bitspower, the tubing should fit through both o rings.

And a big reason why people don't use the bitspower low profile fittings is because of the fact that they only have one o ring.

For hard line tubing, you always want to be on the safe side and have two o rings.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

Unless the fittings you are using are specifically 1 ring low profile fittings like the ones from bitspower, the tubing should fit through both o rings.

And a big reason why people don't use the bitspower low profile fittings is because of the fact that they only have one o ring.

For hard line tubing, you always want to be on the safe side and have two o rings.

I use ek with 1 o ring

2 minutes ago, xgn said:

I use ek with 1 o ring

Yeah EK fittings are crap, I've seen multiple people have leaks from them.

The extra cost for bitspower fittings is worth it.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Yeah EK fittings are crap, I've seen multiple people have leaks from them.

The extra cost for bitspower fittings is worth it.

Not really. These do just fine. There is a lot more to chose from bitspower. They have literally everything. I didnt had a leak yet. My pc is on all day.

2 minutes ago, xgn said:

Not really. These do just fine. There is a lot more to chose from bitspower. They have literally everything. I didnt had a leak yet. My pc is on all day.

The percentage of people that have EK fittings leak is really high, that's what I mean.

Personally with water in my PC I wouldn't want to cheap out on fittings and increase the chances of ruining all my stuff, but if you're fine with it then sure.

Either way, OP's fittings have two o-rings, so he should use both.

Spoiler