What do you do with your old graphics card after buying a new one?

ghostR

So after previously having some fights with my R9 280x its working fine but temperatures could be better. But, the question remains:

What the hell do I do with my R9 280x, I need some ideas, and no.. not the normal "sell it you <sluttysomethinghere>" I wanted to know how I could use it. Perhaps maybe move it down a slot and use it for applications? any way I can use it alongside a GTX 1070.

Just hitting a brainwall at the moment, so any help will be appreciated thanks.

Use it for bitcoin mining!!!!!

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Use it for bitcoin mining!!!!!

Isn't mining on a GPU redundant now?

put it away and use it when i need it

test pcie slots

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

Keep as a spare, I have an x700 somewhere with no heatsink that I can use if my current card shits itself before I replace it.

bake it with some pcb board and thermal paste and call it a sandwich?:P

1 minute ago, ghostR said:

Isn't mining on a GPU redundant now?

You might get a dollar or something.... You can use it for folding at home as well...

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

The 280X has a high double precision processing rate, maybe the last consumer card to do so without an insane price tag. So it could be used for applications that support that, not that I could name any other than the high GFN ranges on PrimeGrid if you fancy a small chance of yourself finding a seriously big prime number. Obviously it can also run other GPU software to varying degrees of efficiency. It does work great as a heater if the weather is cold.

You will have to fix any heat or stability problems with it first. I had problems with my 280X and heat/power too. In the end I fixed it by learning how to do a bios mod, and lower the voltage to something sensible at only a minor hit to clock rates. The card was originally sold as an olverclocking one so it was optimised to supply a ton of power.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

You might get a dollar or something.... You can use it for folding at home as well...

not even

with the rising difficulty in bitcoin mining, i'd doubt he would get back the amount spent in electricity bills 

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

Just now, 007agentHP said:

not even

wth the rising difficulty in bitcoin mining, i'd doubt he would get back the amount spent in electricity bills 

I would use it for folding at home... I think it's worth it... (and you get a cool badge in the ltt forums :P)

I usually hang onto it as a backup in case the new one shits the bed and I have to RMA it.

i7 - 6700k || Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti || Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB 3200Mhz || Corsair 760T White || Corsair HX850 || NZXT Kraken X62 || Asus Z170-A || Logitech Proteus Core 502 wireless || Logitech G915 TKL ||

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

I would use it for folding at home... I think it's worth it... (and you get a cool badge in the ltt forums :P)

If I had another system laying around I could put it on permanently and do whatever, but sadly I don't the only thing I have around is some old Pentium D. So unless I can keep this in my case alongside the 1070 then who knows :<

Also you seem to be around here quite a bit.

5 minutes ago, 007agentHP said:

not even

with the rising difficulty in bitcoin mining, i'd doubt he would get back the amount spent in electricity bills 

Maybe with the new Pascal cards it would be a good idea since they are significantly more power efficient than previous cards? I think someone should test this.

5 minutes ago, 007agentHP said:

not even

Maybe with the new Pascal cards it would be a good idea since they are significantly more power efficient than previous cards? I think someone should test this.

3 minutes ago, porina said:

The 280X has a high double precision processing rate, maybe the last consumer card to do so without an insane price tag. So it could be used for applications that support that, not that I could name any other than the high GFN ranges on PrimeGrid if you fancy a small chance of yourself finding a seriously big prime number. Obviously it can also run other GPU software to varying degrees of efficiency. It does work great as a heater if the weather is cold.

You will have to fix any heat or stability problems with it first. I had problems with my 280X and heat/power too. In the end I fixed it by learning how to do a bios mod, and lower the voltage to something sensible at only a minor hit to clock rates. The card was originally sold as an olverclocking one so it was optimised to supply a ton of power.

Yeah I heard great things about the 280x and honestly, I think I can fix the heat issues since it's not the newest card around I think it just needs some new thermal paste. I would love to use the card for its processing power but no real way to do that I guess.

2 minutes ago, ghostR said:

If I had another system laying around I could put it on permanently and do whatever, but sadly I don't the only thing I have around is some old Pentium D. So unless I can keep this in my case alongside the 1070 then who knows :<

Also you seem to be around here quite a bit.

You can buy a Q6600 for $16 on ebay if you want...

Just now, Joshe343 said:

The amount of raw power you would need to get any money back is ridiculous. Even with all the power efficiency you wouldn't make much off a GPU, Trust me I have run the math a thousand times.

16 minutes ago, ghostR said:

Yeah I heard great things about the 280x and honestly, I think I can fix the heat issues since it's not the newest card around I think it just needs some new thermal paste. I would love to use the card for its processing power but no real way to do that I guess.

So long as you have another PCIe slot (and a good enough PSU), it's pretty easy to just slap it into a rig and have it crunch for you. If not, put it into those Pentium D rigs you said you have; again, just make sure the PSU can handle it and it'll work just fine.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

2 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

So long as you have another PCIe slot (and a good enough PSU), it's pretty easy to just slap it into a rig and have it crunch for you. If not, put it into those Pentium D rigs you said you have; again, just make sure the PSU can handle it and it'll work just fine.

Got an extra PCI-E and Power for the card in my case, I am not so familiar with multi-GPU setups. How would I have it running alongside my GTX 1070? will there be any issues and can I dedicate only the R9 280x to crunching? 

2 minutes ago, ghostR said:

Got an extra PCI-E and Power for the card in my case, I am not so familiar with multi-GPU setups. How would I have it running alongside my GTX 1070? will there be any issues

You just put it in the second slot. Ez pz, install the drivers and it'll just work.

4 minutes ago, ghostR said:

can I dedicate only the R9 280x to crunching? 

Although it would be a waste to have the 1070 idling when you aren't using it, the answer is yes, you can let the 280x crunching alone. It might require a bit of babysitting, though, depending on what exactly you want to crunch.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

1 minute ago, Imakuni said:

You just put it in the second slot. Ez pz, install the drivers and it'll just work.

Although it would be a waste to have the 1070 idling when you aren't using it, the answer is yes, you can let the 280x crunching alone. It might require a bit of babysitting, though, depending on what exactly you want to crunch.

This sounds like a plan, now just fix the thermal issues, and get things going. What to crunch now would be a better question. Actually tonight I am full of questions, damn...

Secondly, I will probably use the 1070 to do some work eventually but the poor thing is going to get slaughtered by Overwatch so I might give it a break. 

3 minutes ago, ghostR said:

What to crunch now would be a better question

That's up to you to decide. The most popular choice is Folding@Home, which is also the easiest one to setup, even though I don't like for a number reasons.

Second option would be one of BOINC's many subprojects. Personally, I (and a certain fish avatar dude I know) vouch for Primegrid. There are others, but I don't really have experience with them so I won't recommend any. But ofc, you are free to join anything else that you feel it's worth supporting.

10 minutes ago, ghostR said:

Secondly, I will probably use the 1070 to do some work eventually but the poor thing is going to get slaughtered by Overwatch so I might give it a break.

Don't sweat about it. GPUs can take a beating. My 970 has been crunching pretty much 24/7 these past 2 years, save for when I'm gaming or the PC is down for cleaning and stuff. Now obviously, you don't have to keep it under load full time. But if your only reason to do so was fear of the card blowing up, fear not! It can handle it.

I sell most of locally, But i try to keep SOMETHING around as a backup just incase

Sell, sell, sell.

The only card I've kept, and for only a very short period, was my HD 7870 GHz. I almost wanted to keep it since it was my first dedicated graphics card, but as it turns out, I'm not very sentimental.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

56 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

That's up to you to decide. The most popular choice is Folding@Home, which is also the easiest one to setup, even though I don't like for a number reasons.

Second option would be one of BOINC's many subprojects. Personally, I (and a certain fish avatar dude I know) vouch for Primegrid. There are others, but I don't really have experience with them so I won't recommend any. But ofc, you are free to join anything else that you feel it's worth supporting.

Don't sweat about it. GPUs can take a beating. My 970 has been crunching pretty much 24/7 these past 2 years, save for when I'm gaming or the PC is down for cleaning and stuff. Now obviously, you don't have to keep it under load full time. But if your only reason to do so was fear of the card blowing up, fear not! It can handle it.

Thanks for all the information! Will have my GTX 1070 in a few days and then will probably run into you again here once I start throwing numbers at the R9 280x