Verdict is in, EU demands apple to pay 13 Bilion EUR (+Interest) in taxes owned to Ireland

See the news and explanations over here:

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-16-2923_en.htm

Let's be honest this is hardly surprising and unlikely to be the first case of this kind. Corporate tax evasion and special agreements are being put more and more under the light and while in this case it was deemed illegal a lot of times it is done in a legitimate way. The real question is of course in my opinion how Ethical is it to dodge taxes on scales like these.

There is also the little fact that Apple made an agreement with Ireland and yet Apple gets punished and Ireland gets the cash. It also seems unlikely that apple will leave because no matter where you are in the EU you are now watched like an hawk and getting such sweat deals (with sour aftertaste) are unlikely.

Now it will be without question that they will launch an appeal, after all they are paying their lawyers anyway and 13 billion is still a decent chunk of change even for Apple.

I do wonder what the ripple effect of this will be however, seeing I work for a company that is very creative and I know a few people working for other companies which are creative. Is this going to stand on it's own or will it be the start of an avalanche for more cases? In my opinion a nation should be able to compete with other nations, I believe that governments should run more with a business mindset and this to me is part of it. However as it stands with the EU it is a giant mess of things which are and are not allowed and it seems no one really knows which what how of anything atm. Time will tell I guess.

"Hope, what a concept." - Deunan Knute

O-O. Aint that enough to send man to mars and back? Or was it 20-30 billion? Ehe, its actually 8 billion and exploring the solar system, 25.

Groomlake Authority

Seems adequate.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Great. As an Irishman, my country could really use the money :P

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

1 hour ago, Sakkura said:

It's this page.

Read the news from other news site. Thanks.

So Apple paid 1% or less of tax for 20 years. And EU is going after other big dudes like Amazon and Google.

US is going to retaliate, Popcorn time. xD

2 minutes ago, Deli said:

Read the news from other news site. Thanks.

So Apple paid 1% or less of tax for 20 years. And EU is going after other big dudes like Amazon and Google.

US is going to retaliate, Popcorn time. xD

What, they're going to threaten not to make that enticing trade deal with Europe, TTIP?

I'm sure that will be effective.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/aug/30/france-demands-end-to-ttip-trade-talks-matthias-fekl

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/08/28/eus-ttip-trade-deal-with-the-us-has-collapsed-says-germany/

xD

Sorry for the bad link.

Ever since something fed up during my latest Cyberfox install I lost all my settings and it seemed that no script was blocking linus so that is why the link went wrong.

Anyhow link should work now.

1 hour ago, Sakkura said:

I'm waiting for the two US Presidential candidates to say something. Especially Trump. xD

Whats the odds of Apple jumping ship to a larger EU country?

As much as I hate the EU as an incompetent political union, I do love how they can own the hell out of these conglomerates. Apple is screwing over everyone left and right. There's a reason they have such insane profits after all.

Of course Apple will appeal, but I doubt anything will come of it. Microsoft tried and they were left no choice. It's not like Apple is going to pull their products from the EU anyways. They gambled, and ripped off the EU, and now it's time to pay up.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Been Irish myself so this really is good news but lets face the facts here Apple were been greedy as usual but the biggest fools here are the Irish Government for not growing a set of hangers and been more stringent with these companies on Irish soil its been going on far too long also Google is another company paying feck all tax in Ireland. 

For as much as I would love an extra €13 billion, everyone here knows that the government are just going to appeal the decision and make sure the money won't be paid out for a number of years.

That's even if they get that far, the government could collapse over this due to disagreements between party members regarding the €13 billion.

makes me wonder whatever happened to the small business in the UK who wanted start using the same loophole as the big boys do in order to get the government to patch those holes 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 hours ago, Carde said:

See the news and explanations over here:

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-16-2923_en.htm

Let's be honest this is hardly surprising and unlikely to be the first case of this kind. Corporate tax evasion and special agreements are being put more and more under the light and while in this case it was deemed illegal a lot of times it is done in a legitimate way. The real question is of course in my opinion how Ethical is it to dodge taxes on scales like these.

There is also the little fact that Apple made an agreement with Ireland and yet Apple gets punished and Ireland gets the cash. It also seems unlikely that apple will leave because no matter where you are in the EU you are now watched like an hawk and getting such sweat deals (with sour aftertaste) are unlikely.

Now it will be without question that they will launch an appeal, after all they are paying their lawyers anyway and 13 billion is still a decent chunk of change even for Apple.

I do wonder what the ripple effect of this will be however, seeing I work for a company that is very creative and I know a few people working for other companies which are creative. Is this going to stand on it's own or will it be the start of an avalanche for more cases? In my opinion a nation should be able to compete with other nations, I believe that governments should run more with a business mindset and this to me is part of it. However as it stands with the EU it is a giant mess of things which are and are not allowed and it seems no one really knows which what how of anything atm. Time will tell I guess.

It's not the first case, and it won't be the last. 

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

3 hours ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

O-O. Aint that enough to send man to mars and back? Or was it 20-30 billion? Ehe, its actually 8 billion and exploring the solar system, 25.

Shhhhh spending money that could feed the whole population for days if not months on military is a muuuuch better idea believe me. 

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

1 hour ago, Uzukami said:

Whats the odds of Apple jumping ship to a larger EU country?

Small to none considering everyone is being watched and no one is allowed to make a real sweet deal. Also it is likely they already are in a few, money tends to follow rather complicated paths to avoid as much taxation on all points as they can. Why do you think so many companies have 'HQs' in my country the Netherlands.

1 hour ago, Notional said:

As much as I hate the EU as an incompetent political union, I do love how they can own the hell out of these conglomerates. Apple is screwing over everyone left and right. There's a reason they have such insane profits after all.

Of course Apple will appeal, but I doubt anything will come of it. Microsoft tried and they were left no choice. It's not like Apple is going to pull their products from the EU anyways. They gambled, and ripped off the EU, and now it's time to pay up.

Problem is these are all political moves, companies that operate outside of public view just keep on going cause no one gives a fuck. Companies like Apple and other retailers, big IT companies operate in the public eye and hence are much more interesting targets to sway public opinion.

Just now, Carde said:

Problem is these are all political moves, companies that operate outside of public view just keep on going cause no one gives a fuck. Companies like Apple and other retailers, big IT companies operate in the public eye and hence are much more interesting targets to sway public opinion.

Not sure about that. I think it's more of a question of the media only reporting on companies in the public eye to begin with. 

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Just now, Notional said:

Not sure about that. I think it's more of a question of the media only reporting on companies in the public eye to begin with. 

Which is why I read a bit more once in a while when bored. 

It takes time and money a lot of money to do the kind of digging and investigation to find out about these deals and get to know all the ins and outs. The EU has neither unlimited time or money to do so, hence they go after the targets that earn the biggest payout and/or gain the most PR support. The EU is not all that popular at the moment so they need anything they can get.

Apple's case here was not even all that complicated, the structure was quite simple in setup as where the agreements, there are a lot of companies who have far more complex setups and even at times when they finally figure out how it works, they still can't figure out if it is legal or not and if not fully legal which parts are not legal?

It is a giant mess and it will only get worse, because believe me Apple is not just suddenly going to say "Alright you caught us we will pay everything from now." Of course not they will go and figure out new ways to deal with paying as little taxes as possible.

Just now, Notional said:

Which is why I read a bit more once in a while when bored. 

It takes time and money a lot of money to do the kind of digging and investigation to find out about these deals and get to know all the ins and outs. The EU has neither unlimited time or money to do so, hence they go after the targets that earn the biggest payout and/or gain the most PR support. The EU is not all that popular at the moment so they need anything they can get.

Apple's case here was not even all that complicated, the structure was quite simple in setup as where the agreements, there are a lot of companies who have far more complex setups and even at times when they finally figure out how it works, they still can't figure out if it is legal or not and if not fully legal which parts are not legal?

It is a giant mess and it will only get worse, because believe me Apple is not just suddenly going to say "Alright you caught us we will pay everything from now." Of course not they will go and figure out new ways to deal with paying as little taxes as possible.

Given Apple is sitting on $216 billion in cash, I think they can miss the money.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?