Am im loosing out on alot of perfomance?

Go to solution Solved by mranarc,

what a great community :) instant answers and bright people :) Thanks to you both for your help and information!

Regards,

mranarc

HI, and greetings from Norway,

Im having trouble fiuguring out if ive been retarded with my build.. To give you the most possible info ill list my rig and write a few words before my question;

Case: NZXT H440W New Edition Silent Ultra white
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S (white camo), Socket-1151
Ram: Crucial DDR4 Ballistix Sport 32GB White, 4x8GB KIT, 2400MHz, CL16, UDIMM, 288pin
PSU: Corsair RM750i, 750W PSU
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake OC to 4888 at 1.5vcore
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x61

Storage:

Storage adapter card since motherbord only has 1 m.2 slot: Asus Hyper M.2 x4
Storage #1 Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 PCIe SSD

Storage # 2 Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 PCIe SSD

Storage #3: Samsung 850 PRO 256GB 2.5" SSD

Storage ¤4  Samsung 850 PRO 256GB 2.5" SSD
Storage #3  Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200rpm

Storage #4 Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200rpm

Storage #5 Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200rpm
GPU:: Zodiac GTX 1080 Extreme Amp+
Fans: Changed all stock case and cooler fans to the new corsair ML series.
3xCorsair ML140 PRO LED Hwhite, 140mm (2 Mounted in pull on Kraken x61 radiator) 1 Back Case in puish
5xCorsair ML120 PRO LED Hwhite, 120mm (3 in the front in pull) (2 mounted in sharoon magnetic rubber mountings in push towards the HDD Bays)
2X NZXT Grid+ V2 Digital Fan Controllers
Display: Acer Predator XB271HU 165hz G-sync

Im running 2xSamsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 PCIe in raid 0 as my OS disk (Windows 10 pro x64) , 2xSamsung 850 PRO 256GB 2.5" SSD in raid 0 for editing software and alike and the Barracudas for games, movies etc.

Performance:
It is Smooth 155-165FPS in  2560 x 1440 with everything on highest possible settings nearly constantly in every game ive thrown at it. 
Disk benches shows the scaling that is expected of the raid 0 drives..

Wifi is mostly stable and links to my router on between 95-190 mbps.

Here is my question i hope some of you bright people from this great community can help me with is:

As i understand the CPU and chipset Intel 6700k and Z170 only support 16 pcie lanes, and thats what my GPU alone consumes. Then u have the dual 950 pro disks pcie x4 each.

I have not found info on how much the wireless card consume but it is also an pci device.
So, even though its lightning fast.. am im loosing out on storage speed, gpu performance and possibly wifi quality since im spending so much pcie lanes?

Im pretty sure i know the answer, but if i got a beefier PSU, would my setup support another Zodiac GTX 1080 Extreme AMP for running in sli for superb VR and 4k and more gaming? Spacewice it fits barely but it does if i take out my wifi card. I can cable... :)

Thanks in advance if anybody would take their time to read this wall of text :)

PS: i know the 1.5.vcore is limiting my cpus lifespand, but i think i have won the silicon lottery because it seldom passes 40 degrees and is rock stable,. Max temp NZXT cam (NZXT HW and fans monitoring software) recorded on CPU was 71 during benchmark overclocked.

Regards,
mranarc

Even PCIE 3.0x4 doesn't bottleneck a modern GPU (more than an FPS or two), so no, you're not losing out on performance. And also, most motherboards run M.2 (and secondary PCIE devices -- wifi/sound cards) off of the chipset's lanes (which are not part of the 16 lanes coming from the cpu). 

Also, 750w is MORE than enough for 1080 SLI (600w would be enough).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

You're likely not losing much. The GPU while running at x16 is completely comfortable running at 8x. The two 950 PRO's are likely on the CPU lanes with the GPU while the wireless card uses the DMI from the chipset.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Thank you alot! BUT, doesnt nvidia have a minimum of 8 pcie lanes for each card to even be able to activate sli? (my two m.2 eats 8 lanes, so my current gpu would be running at 8?

1 minute ago, mranarc said:

Thank you alot! BUT, doesnt nvidia have a minimum of 8 pcie lanes for each card to even be able to activate sli? (my two m.2 eats 8 lanes, so my current gpu would be running at 8?

It has a minimum of 8 PCIE lanes for use in SLI. A single Nvidia GPU will run just fine at 3.0x4. 

Are you sure the M.2 slots use CPU lanes and not chipset lanes? (you can look that up in the manual for the motherboard). If they use up the CPU lanes, then no, you wont be able to use SLI while using those two M.2 drives. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

No im not, but i have ticketed asus about it but i have gotten no reply yet. (It does not say in the motherboard manual)

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

It has a minimum of 8 PCIE lanes for use in SLI. A single Nvidia GPU will run just fine at 3.0x4. 

Are you sure the M.2 slots use CPU lanes and not chipset lanes? (you can look that up in the manual for the motherboard). If they use up the CPU lanes, then no, you wont be able to use SLI while using those two M.2 drives. 

They'll switch over to DMI.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

That means that the only part consuming cpu lanes is my gpu, so i can run sli in 8/8?

5 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

They'll switch over to DMI.

Is that the default behavior?

3 minutes ago, mranarc said:

That means that the only part consuming cpu lanes is my gpu, so i can run sli in 8/8?

Assuming what @ARikozuM is saying is correct, then you'll be able to run SLI.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

I dont know, i was just focusing on the posibility of adding another card for sli.. :) I to have now read that the z170 platform paired with 6700 provides a total of 36 lanes (with 20 of them comming from dmi 3.0). Thanks alot for helping me out, i did not even know what DMI was before it was mentioned here !

Last question, since im clearly dealing with highly skilled people.. The 4k TVs that boasts of several hunderd HZ, would gaming on those in 4k break the 60 FPS barrier?

All the 4K monitors i have been looking at is 60hz

2 minutes ago, mranarc said:

Last question, since im clearly dealing with highly skilled people.. The 4k TVs that boasts of several hunderd HZ, would gaming on those in 4k break the 60 FPS barrier?

All the 4K monitors i have been looking at is 60hz

No. No current 4k TVs are capable of anything more than 4k@60hz. The listed refresh rate is with interpolated frames inserted into the stream (i.e. fake bullshit). 

Most 120/240hz TVs are also only 60hz (although some are capable of 1080p@120hz (Sonjy X850c for example).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Is that the default behavior?

Assuming what @ARikozuM is saying is correct, then you'll be able to run SLI.

It's the default for everything unless the component's controller says "DMI, please!" which is the case with some WiFi modules (not all of them).

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Just what i thought, sales tricks! The reason im asking is that a sli rig would give me a pretty nice framerate in 4k if there was a better refresh rate available, but my current card already gives 60fps giive or take in 4k, so i guess then there is no point,, ive always been a fps (fluid gaming) maniac

40 minutes ago, mranarc said:

HI, and greetings from Norway,

Im having trouble fiuguring out if ive been retarded with my build.. To give you the most possible info ill list my rig and write a few words before my question;

Case: NZXT H440W New Edition Silent Ultra white
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S (white camo), Socket-1151
Ram: Crucial DDR4 Ballistix Sport 32GB White, 4x8GB KIT, 2400MHz, CL16, UDIMM, 288pin
PSU: Corsair RM750i, 750W PSU
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake OC to 4888 at 1.5vcore
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x61

Storage:

Storage adapter card since motherbord only has 1 m.2 slot: Asus Hyper M.2 x4
Storage #1 Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 PCIe SSD

Storage # 2 Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 PCIe SSD

Storage #3: Samsung 850 PRO 256GB 2.5" SSD

Storage ¤4  Samsung 850 PRO 256GB 2.5" SSD
Storage #3  Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200rpm

Storage #4 Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200rpm

Storage #5 Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200rpm
GPU:: Zodiac GTX 1080 Extreme Amp+
Fans: Changed all stock case and cooler fans to the new corsair ML series.
3xCorsair ML140 PRO LED Hwhite, 140mm (2 Mounted in pull on Kraken x61 radiator) 1 Back Case in puish
5xCorsair ML120 PRO LED Hwhite, 120mm (3 in the front in pull) (2 mounted in sharoon magnetic rubber mountings in push towards the HDD Bays)
2X NZXT Grid+ V2 Digital Fan Controllers
Display: Acer Predator XB271HU 165hz G-sync

Im running 2xSamsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 PCIe in raid 0 as my OS disk (Windows 10 pro x64) , 2xSamsung 850 PRO 256GB 2.5" SSD in raid 0 for editing software and alike and the Barracudas for games, movies etc.

Performance:
It is Smooth 155-165FPS in  2560 x 1440 with everything on highest possible settings nearly constantly in every game ive thrown at it. 
Disk benches shows the scaling that is expected of the raid 0 drives..

Wifi is mostly stable and links to my router on between 95-190 mbps.

Here is my question i hope some of you bright people from this great community can help me with is:

As i understand the CPU and chipset Intel 6700k and Z170 only support 16 pcie lanes, and thats what my GPU alone consumes. Then u have the dual 950 pro disks pcie x4 each.

I have not found info on how much the wireless card consume but it is also an pci device.
So, even though its lightning fast.. am im loosing out on storage speed, gpu performance and possibly wifi quality since im spending so much pcie lanes?

Im pretty sure i know the answer, but if i got a beefier PSU, would my setup support another Zodiac GTX 1080 Extreme AMP for running in sli for superb VR and 4k and more gaming? Spacewice it fits barely but it does if i take out my wifi card. I can cable... :)

Thanks in advance if anybody would take their time to read this wall of text :)

PS: i know the 1.5.vcore is limiting my cpus lifespand, but i think i have won the silicon lottery because it seldom passes 40 degrees and is rock stable,. Max temp NZXT cam (NZXT HW and fans monitoring software) recorded on CPU was 71 during benchmark overclocked.

Regards,
mranarc

I cant see any reason that anything would cause huge noticeable bottlenecks in anything. But that is certainly an amazing chip you have there. Hei fra Amerkia og nyte ditt oppsett!

(I am not fluent, I did use a little google translate.)

ERROR: VAR_TRAINOFTHOUGHT RETURN CHAR(MISSING)

RESTART  BRAINTHOUGHTS_MAJORGOOB.EXE?

Y                             N

~               

Thanks :) And yes, i was very excited, when i started fooling around with it, i ran it for a couple of nights of bioshock infinite series @ 5ghz 1..51,  no crashes, but i figured, hey.. why im lucky in the first place, why push it to far. Did not lose or gain any noticable fps 4888->5Ghz

Would be so cool if it some magical way was an engineering sample.. :)

1 minute ago, mranarc said:

Thanks :) And yes, i was very excited, when i started fooling around with it, i ran it for a couple of nights of bioshock infinite series @ 5ghz 1..51,  no crashes, but i figured, hey.. why im lucky in the first place, why push it to far. Did not lose or gain any noticable fps 4888->5Ghz

I haven't ever overclocked anything in my life (STILL need a graphics card. All the 480s are out of stock. Planning on overclocking once I do that.) but as far as I know, 112mhz shouldn't make much of a difference in performance. There may be applications where it does, so correct me if I am wrong. But I think the lower, more stable clock was the smarter thing to do.

ERROR: VAR_TRAINOFTHOUGHT RETURN CHAR(MISSING)

RESTART  BRAINTHOUGHTS_MAJORGOOB.EXE?

Y                             N

~               

thing is that my nzxt overlay in games seldom sees the cpu working harder than 40 percent while the gpu is jumping all over the place, so i could probably run at stock and still have a nearly steady 165fps at 1440p gaming

However, i  notice difference when unpacking large files, encoding and rendering

Get a k processor and just pick a premade profile from the motherboard manufacturer. its free performance :)

(if you dont want to tamper into deep water adjusting the power settings, manually clocking each core different, etc)

Guess ill wait till 4k refresh rates can go at 120+, then ill go for another extreme amp+

Just now, mranarc said:

Guess ill wait till 4k refresh rates can go at 120+, then ill go for another extreme amp+

You're going to be waiting for a long time. I don't think DP can carry enough for 2160@120 and GPU's don't have the protocol for it either. But I could be wrong.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler